ROG Member Array

Thumbs up G752VS Fn key/backlight issue

Hey,

My fn keys/backlight stopped working all of a sudden a couple months ago. I went through the threads and tried most of the suggestions... Reinstalling the ATK package didn't work (tried the one from the official website and an seemingly newer one I found floating in one of the threads here). Keyboard adjustment tool didn't work. Reinstalling Windows didn't work (including a completely fresh install). Updating drivers didn't work. Updating BIOS didn't work (currently on 312).

I don't think it's a hardware issue and my laptop has been RMA'd for a different issue three times already, with varying success, so I'm hesitant about sending it in for just this. Obviously not an important enough problem, but annoying enough that once in a while I try to get it sorted out. Any tips?
    Last edited by eriphyle; 08-23-2019 at 07:58 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

This is the ATK Package I use on my G752VSK:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/n..._VER100060.zip

As for the keyboard backlights....it might be a bad keyboard. I had it happen on a G75VW, replaced keyboard and backlights were restored. By the way replacing the keyboard is like 30 screws. Mean job.

Hey did you use your eSupport Folder (Run ASUS Installation Wizard) to restore all the ASUS drivers and programs after reinstalling Windows 10?
    Last edited by jdfrench3; 08-23-2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added info
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by jdfrench3 View Post
    This is the ATK Package I use on my G752VSK:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/n..._VER100060.zip

As for the keyboard backlights....it might be a bad keyboard. I had it happen on a G75VW, replaced keyboard and backlights were restored. By the way replacing the keyboard is like 30 screws. Mean job.

Hey did you use your eSupport Folder (Run ASUS Installation Wizard) to restore all the ASUS drivers and programs after reinstalling Windows 10?
    Thanks for the reply. I tried that ATK package too but no luck. I didn't use the ASUS Installation Wizard but according to that everything is installed and up to date.

Yeah, I'm generally unhappy with how inaccessible parts of this laptop are, and how badly it seems to react to pretty much anything. Do you think there is a way I could check whether it's a hardware/keyboard issue without replacing the keyboard? I think my 2 years warranty just ran out last month but I might be able to appeal that if I need replacement parts considering what had been done to the laptop during previous RMAs...

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Going through ASUS will cost.

You could lift the top off and check that ribbon cables are all connected properly and connector latches closed.
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array navis995's Avatar

If you replaced the motherbord then the backlight stops working and you have to do a mod that I uploaded the guide to in order to fix it.
    Asus Rog G750JZ
    Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.0Ghz @ -70mV)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +70Mhz Core, +400Mhz Memory @ 1.000V)
    RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
    Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
    Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD