cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double boot when D.O.C.P is enabled.

Sparky1000
Level 7
Hello, I have just completed my first new build. Everything works fine, however when I enable D.O.C.P in BIOS the system double boots everytime, is this normal?

So when D.O.C.P is not enabled, I press the power button on the case and it turns on and boots up first time. When its enabled and I press the power button on the case, motherboard comes on for about 1 - 2 seconds, turns off for 1 - 2 seconds, then comes back on again and boots normally. It only does it when I press the power button on the case, makes no difference if I unplug it from the wall. If I restart computer from windows it doesnt do the double boot, its only when starting the computer from an off mode.

I really dont know too much about computers only the basics, but this doesnt seem normal to me.

I have changed no other settings in BIOS other than DOCP, and I have just turned it on, i havent changed any values or anything. DOCP has picked up correct values of RAM 16-18-18-38 @ 1.35v (which is what it says on the ram box).
I have latest BIOS installed.
I have QVL list RAM installed ( G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZR )
RAM is installed in bays 1 and 3 as per manual.

System is X470 Crosshair Hero VII, 16GB of above RAM, bequiet PSU 750w, M.2 primary drive, Ryzen 7 3700x (not overclocked), sapphire nitro+ vega64 GPU.
10 REPLIES 10

Skylab
Level 9
Are you sure you have the RAM in the right slots? I have a CH7 x470 and my RAM is in DIMM B2 and A2. Anyway, Im also a new PC builder and wish you good luck!

Yes A2 & B2 as per the manual. So yours doesnt do this when you have the memory set to DOCP?

I cannot give good information about m/b performance because I have not updated the AMD chipset drivers or the m/b BIOS. Any issue I have may be related to not having those updates. However, I started my PC, went to Extreme Tweaker(silly name) and for Ai oc tuner its set to DOCP Standard and then DOCP is set to my RAM specs properly so its looks like Im using DOCP function in BIOS. Rebooting and looking for double BIOS boot issue youre having...BIOS booted into Windows 10 64bit right away so restarting again... Im sorry but Im not seeing a dual reboot, not even of a slight kind. My RAM IS F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX. I wrote Gskill and they confirmed compatibility for this RAM for my AMD 2700x and CH7 wifi m/b

I get a double boot with BIOS 2703 or 2606.

That's only for a cold boot (no power applied to the MB for a while). Warm boots are single.

It appears to be a consequence of "Update AM4 Combo PI 1.0.0.3".

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (BIOS 3904)
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 PC4-28800 16GB 4x8 GB CL16

Same problem with Manual or D.O.C.P.

In all three options (Auto, Manual and D.O.C.P.) the computer turns on and works correctly, with performance tests, memory and daily use. With the "Auto" profile the performance is lower and not appear "double boot"

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

This has been discussed at length already many times, the power cycle is needed on some boards as certain controllers require an AC cycle. If it's doing it, it's doing it for a reason.

It can also depend on the memory configuration within the UEFI due to memory training.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hello,

What parameters exactly force this double boot?
Is this behavior officially documented on any motherboard?

mainmind wrote:
Hello,

What parameters exactly force this double boot?
Is this behavior officially documented on any motherboard?

Probably not documented in the manual, as it doesn't really have any impact on the end-user experience other than taking an extra second or two.

It depends on the platform, however, it can be anything from CPU parameters to a USB controller. Certain platform configurations don't like a straightforward power cycle, so to circumvent situations the board will do this for you. I'm sure if you were forced to go into the UEFI, revert to defaults, reapply your OC, and boot again you'd be asking that question instead.

It can also be due to failing memory training and retrying. This is due to the applied overclock not being able to pass POST stress tests.

In short, it's normal and nothing to be concerned about. Stopping on 0D sounds like instability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

There have been no crashes, no blue screens, gaming, daily use or stress tests. Just randomly during boot 3 times, after 1 month of use with the same parameters it hasn't happened again.
Curious about that "learn/train" at BIOS boot...