cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA Configuration Question: INTEL RST PREMIUM MODE, AHCI?

Aurora
Level 7
Hello,

I have G703GS laptop with samsung 970 evo plus nvme ssd.

When i check samsung magician it says ahci mode is deactivated. In bios , sata configuration there is no ahci mode to select, only option is INTEL optane RST PREMIUM..

Do i need to re install windows to get ahci mode? Or is this bios doesnt allow ahci mode altogether?

Is intel rst better than ahci, should I leave it as it is?
4 REPLIES 4

jdfrench3
Level 12
Aurora wrote:
Hello,

I have G703GS laptop with samsung 970 evo plus nvme ssd.

When i check samsung magician it says ahci mode is deactivated. In bios , sata configuration there is no ahci mode to select, only option is INTEL optane RST PREMIUM..

Do i need to re install windows to get ahci mode? Or is this bios doesnt allow ahci mode altogether?

Is intel rst better than ahci, should I leave it as it is?

INTEL optane RST PREMIUM.. is to only be used if you have Intel Optane NVMe drives. Leave the setting alone.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
INTEL optane RST PREMIUM.. is to only be used if you have Intel Optane NVMe drives. Leave the setting alone.

I dont have optane drive yet the only setting is intep optane rst premium, there is no other mode, its selected by default

Aurora wrote:
I dont have optane drive yet the only setting is intep optane rst premium, there is no other mode, its selected by default

The G703GS has three NVMe slots and a SATA SSD slot. I suspect new, the G703GS came with two NVMes in RAID 0, an open third NVMe slot and a single SATA SSD.

Answer the following questions Please!

Where exactly have you installed your Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD?

Did you install it in the third open NVMe slot?

Are you trying to add this third NVMe drive to your RAID?

You do know the Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD is not SATA?

Just a note but the Samsung Magician software doesn't work well with RAID configurations. Search this forum for many posts that suggest you not run this software on such configurations.
Homebuilt Windows Server

I took a picture from your User Manual to show you where your drives are located. Turning your laptop over with the cover removed, on the right hand side, the two NVMe drives are located. There is a single heatsink covering both NVMe drives. You should remove that heatsink and confirm what kind of drives you have.

Are they Intel Optane drives?

On the left hand side is where the single NVMe drive resides. I suspect this is where you have added your Samsung NVMe drive.

RST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) labels a RAID configuration.
Homebuilt Windows Server