cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System crash, since I built this PC in March of 2019

Saberous
Level 7
Since I've built this PC in March, I've been experiencing the below linked problem. Sometimes there is a BSOD and error code most times there is not, and just the audio queue of the crash and a still image, be it game or stream.

Crash:
https://youtu.be/xxKBJWUpr0k

Troubleshooting done:

I've RMA'ed the ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) MOBO, and M.2 Samsung Evo 870 EVO 1TB. After receiving the replacements back, system still crashes.
Fresh Windows 10 install. system still crashes
Ran Memtest86 for 36 hours with 0 errors. Still could be RAM related, I will test all four stick separately.
GFX cards tested separately. The crash still happens when only one gfz card is running. (Note, I was running the 2080 and 1060 6gb on my old I7 4770K build for about a month, while I waited for the the new CPU to be back in stock, and at no time did that system crash.)

A few weeks ago the crash was pretty random only doing it once a week, but now the PC is crashing daily.

Other times the system will crash from going from screen saver to desktop. Streaming , Playing video games.

The only HARDWARE options I have left on my end is to RMA my 2080. I don't think this will help,

I'm thinking this crash is caused by a driver error, but what driver I don't know.

Crashes codes that I've been able to see.

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
ntoskrnl.exe

At first I figured it was the RealTek audio driver (I was getting Windows notifications of a device being plugged into my front audio, when nothing was being plugged in), so upon a reimage of the PC, I didn't install the driver and went with the windows default driver.

This seemed to work for about two weeks I had no notification or crashes. Suddenly the crashes started again. I noticed a program called Armoury Crate had installed itself. After installation it updated drivers. There is a driver version issue.

https://ibb.co/Ldfts1H

I never installed Armoury Crate, and I am not sure how it installed installed inf the first place.

Lately I've been able to get the crash to occur if I click "Close" on this error from Asus AURA Sync software. Usually 70% of the time the crash will happen.
https://ibb.co/B4gP3BJ

Currently I'm in the process of uninstalling all Asus software, and hoping my system becomes more stable.
I would hate to have to reinstall windows again .

SYSPICS:
https://ibb.co/zfbgs4Z
https://ibb.co/c2pJPNQ
https://ibb.co/BBjH9Sg

PC SPECS:
Intel Core i9 9900k @ Stock
Corsair H100i Platinum,
ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) MOBO,
32GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 3600MHz
ASUS RTX 2080 OC
MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
1 M.2 Samsung Evo 870 EVO 1TB
1 M.2 Samsung PM961 512GB
1 Samsung Evo 860 1TB
1 Samsung Evo 860 1TB
1 Samsung Evo 850 1TB
1 WD Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB 6Gbs HD
1 Seagate Barracuda 6TB 5400RPM 256MB,

Asus Thor 1200 PSU
Cosmos 2 Case
Windows 10 Pro 64
3 Asus VH238 60Hz Monitors
18 REPLIES 18

Zka17
Level 16
I would go ahead and clean install the OS...*But first, make sure that you have the *latest BIOS/UEFI!

Then make sure that your RAM is fine (use memtest86 for like 8 cycles), then install Windows 10.

When you install Win 10, make sure that only the drive you are installing is connected (remove the SATA cables for the other drives).

Then install all the Windows updates. And only after that you install the drivers for the board/GPU - download the latest ones of the Asus site for the particular motherboard). You can also get the NVME driver from Samsung. Think twice what you need, and don't install software thinking that later you can remove it...*

I have the Aura only for the Maximus XI Gene and it works fine. No Ai Suite, nothing else from the Utilities download.

Saberous
Level 7
I uninstalled Armoury Crate, aura sync and realtek drivers about 2 hours ago, and just now I found Armoury Crate trying to install itself. I was able to stop it, but it keeps trying to kick off. How can I disable this feature?

I do have ROG Armoury and AI Suite installed. I will uninstall those as well.

According to Asus support site for my MOBO, I am on the latest BIOS ver.1105. BIOS is on UEFI.
I've already been using your Windows install method.

Time for the ram test.

Each ram stick was tested individual, and passed memtest86 with 0 errors.
I installed win10 on another m.2, updated win10 to latest 1903. No Ausu software and drivers have been installed, and I'm just running the Windows default drivers, Intel Chipset drivers installed. Latest nvidia driver.

I still get what I think is an audio driver error. Still getting that audio sound queue
Crash:
https://youtu.be/xxKBJWUpr0k

The system seems to recover, and not BSOD as much but it is still a problem.

In a Hardware Canucks video on audio cards https://youtu.be/N9-ulTBgd9I it described an EMI issue that RTX cards cause with the audio.

I decided to test this and swab out my 2080 for my 1060. When I removed my 2080 I noticed an oil spot on my mobo plastic cover. I'm thinking it's from the GFX card fan bearing, but still not a good sign. Maybe's it's not a bad idea to RMA the card.

Currently testing system with the 1060.

Any suggestions on what audio drivers to use for the Z390 ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) MOBO?

Even with the 1060 gtx I'm still crashing with this issue.:mad:

run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannnow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again.

Check you are running the latest motherboard bios as this can stop windows updates
you can run [CMD] then [ver] to check but this is current version Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.295] 64 bit

Next get Snappy Driver Installer from https://sdi-tool.org/download/ Use the light version, youtube a video on it if cant figure out how to use this program. What it does is get the most up to date / best drivers for your system. This will eliminate a possible driver issue.

Hope you find this of help 😉

RedSector73 wrote:
run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannnow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again.

Check you are running the latest motherboard bios as this can stop windows updates
you can run [CMD] then [ver] to check but this is current version Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.295] 64 bit

Next get Snappy Driver Installer from https://sdi-tool.org/download/ Use the light version, youtube a video on it if cant figure out how to use this program. What it does is get the most up to date / best drivers for your system. This will eliminate a possible driver issue.

Hope you find this of help 😉

Hey thanks for the assist, I will give them a shot.

According to Asus website, I am on the latest bios.

Version 1105 2019/06/24 .

sfc /scannnow did detect and repair some corrupt files, restarted pc, time to test to see if this helped.

Forgot to mention that,

even if sfc scannow fixes some stuff or finds and can't fix, still run DISM as well. (it's ok to run both, one after each other, in same session without reboot) if after reboot and re-run them you get stuck in *loop (*greater than twice) of either of them them needing to repair/fix, this indicates the OS is unstable and unable to be properly repaired, and it's would be time to bite the bullet and consider *reset of the OS (*which may also fail) or a fresh install.

Hope this makes sense to you, its a lot of this = this or this....

So since I’ve built this i9 PC, I’ve re-imaged it about 8 times due to this issue.
“Definition of Re-image:
:To wipe the drive of all data, reformat drive, and install fresh copy of the latest version of windows site below.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10”
I don’t think it’s a Windows OS issue. That would mean that Microsoft’s installer is porked and I’m not seeing posts like that in their forums. I’ve been reviewing MS forums I’m not seeing any posts with similar symptoms to mine. However on the ASUS forums I am seeing small odd trend with ASUS software.
I built two other systems at the time I built my new i9 system. Those systems have MSI and EVGA MOBO’s, and have had no problems.
So this past Labor Day weekend, a friend and I swabbed mobo’s. I’m running his ASRock Z390 Phantom G9. So far I have had no issues and all drivers are installed; however my friend, who’s running the Maximums Hero XI, is having the same issues as me. He did install the Audio drivers and the rest of the Asus specialty software drivers. Swabbed boards and reimaged system and testing began.
Each test had a fresh version of Win10 installed with the latest updates.
Each test ran the same series of benchmarks, multithreaded task sequence, game and multiple audio streams that I had at my disposal to push system in hoping a BSOD would occur.
In Bios, Armoury Create is disabled from auto installing.
We tested how long the system would run without BSOD, and how many times it BSOD in that 12 hour test.
Test results.
Asus Sonic Studio III/ Sonic Radar III Audio driver only, BSOD after an average 3.5 hours of testing.
AI Suite 3 driver with Windows default Audio driver, BSOD after an average run of 2 hours of testing.
AI Suite 3 with Asus Sonic Studio III/ Sonic Radar III Audio driver, BSOD after an average run of 1 hours of testing.
Windows default Audio driver only, no BSOD in the 12 hours of testing.
After this testing I think the issue plaguing me is with the ASUS drivers. AI Suite 3 and Sonic Studio III/ Sonic Radar III. I think this software caused a corruption within the Windows OS and that’s what led to the driver’s crapping out causing my audio to freeze my pc or BSOD .

I've reached out to ASUS support recently and did what they requested in their troubleshooting process. I still got BSOD with their software, even after they walked me through their install process. Asus wants to RMA the board again, so hopefully 2nd time is a charm! I told them of the small oil leak from my gfx fan, so they are RMA'ing the GFX card too.

Until then, thanks for the help everyone. I will let you know how the new hardware works out.

Saberous
Level 7
Update:
On Sept 23rd, I got my RMA's back.
ASUS sent me back the same hardware stating there was nothing wrong with the MOBO, and they fixed an issue with fan 1 on the GFX. Installed ASUS Audio driver and the BSOD began. Called ASUS and asked how this board was tested. What CPU did the use, peripherals etc, however they wouldn't tell me. Worked with ASUS support for two days and nothing. They wanted me to send the board back, and I asked them for a different board altogether. I uninstalled ASUS drivers, and installed the Windows default driver and haven't crashed since. It sucks that I can't use the SupremeFX or the cool features in the ASUS drivers. RMA number 3 in process.