cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory not running at nominal speeds

ursuake
Level 7
I have an issue, memory doesn't run at the frequency it should.

Setup:

Memory: HyperX Predator DDR4, 3600MHz, CL17 (17-18-18 or 17-19-19 don't quite know for sure). 32 gb 4x8

Product code: HX436C17PB4AK2/16 (have 2 sets of 16gb each)

Motherboard: Asus Strix x570-F

CPU: 3800x (I don't think it matters)
GPU: asus 5700xt (I don't think it matters)

I have tinkered with the ASUS UEFI BIOS and researched for days.

1) I activated the D.O.C.P., the profile is at 3600mhz from the DOCP dropdown had 2 options:
XMP Profile #1: DDR4-3600 CL17-19-19 @1.35V

XMP Profile #2: DDR4-3000 CL15-17-17 @1.35V

Chose first profile but nothing happens (everything else is set to auto). No matter what I do the memory keeps staying at 2400mhz.

2) I set the memory frequency manually to 3600mhz, the system posts.

3) I set fclk@1800 and memory@3600, the system posts

4) Everything else I tried which is not auto the system posts

I don't want to overclock the memory but I want it to push what the box says, 3600 mhz.

Is it the fact that I run 4 DIMMs? Is it a Bios bug? Am I doing something wrong? Is it the wrong memory? Any suggestions are welcome at this point, been researching and tinkering with it for the past week and I'm to the point I don't care anymore.
6 REPLIES 6

Zka17
Level 16
First, double check if the kits are on the QVL for that motherboard.
Second, try to run only one kit, then swap for the other kit. You may need to ditch one of the kits - it is not a good idea to mix two kits.
If you can set it manually, then you should be OK - do that way.

You may want to check, and if needed, update the BIOS.

Zka17 wrote:
First, double check if the kits are on the QVL for that motherboard.
Second, try to run only one kit, then swap for the other kit. You may need to ditch one of the kits - it is not a good idea to mix two kits.
If you can set it manually, then you should be OK - do that way.

You may want to check, and if needed, update the BIOS.

Since I posted I managed to activate the second XMP profile, so memory is running now at 3000mhz. The memory is supported by the motherboard, double checked. Also I have the latest BIOS update, that was the first thing I looked into.

I will try to set it manually with the DRAM calculator next. Hope it doesn't post again. One question I have, sorry for being a noob but I can't find the info anywhere, is my memory Samsung B-die or something else?

ursuake wrote:
One question I have, sorry for being a noob but I can't find the info anywhere, is my memory Samsung B-die or something else?

use Thaiphoon and find out http://softnology.biz/files.html (youtube a video on how to use it)

Make sure you check both of your kits. I know some that have identical product numbers with different chip manufactures.

subjectively an answer can be found here
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/
or here
https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

BigJohnny
Level 13
Did you say 2 kits?
There is your problem.
Never mix kits even if its the same part number. Chance of getting them to run is a shot in the dark. There are literally thousands of such posts scattered all over the net. Run only a single kit O(if you can remember which are matched to which kit). Almost guarantee that it will work.
Its not that you are populating 4, hell Im populating 8 sticks and mine not only runs XMP perfectly I can actually up the frequency 300Mhz and tighten the CL by 2. Its all one kit though. Memory is first binned by similar properties, then kits are put together out of those bins. Not every stick of the exact same memory can run together past the JDEC Standard which is why you are stuck there. This started happening when memory passed the 2800MHz mark.

BigJohnny wrote:
Did you say 2 kits?
There is your problem.
Never mix kits even if its the same part number.

Honestly after 20 years of mixing memory and kits and not having problems it's hard not laugh at this advice.... lol - oh I did sorry.

If you do your homework they have identical hynix or samsung or whatever real ram chipset manufacture is, they will work. If you don't do your homework, have different timings and even sometimes ram manufacture chipset, they still work just at worst timings offered between the mix. In case of worst often have to make sure worst kit in channel A to get boot. The only exception ever seen is laptop's that whitelist/blacklist ram and the first I7's like 980x omg nightmare even with identical sticks to get 3 and dual 4 channel running.

That said I would not recommend it especially if your overclocking the nuts out of a board. But OP you don't need matched kits together for it to work, that's marking hype.

RedSector73 wrote:
Honestly after 20 years of mixing memory and kits and not having problems it's hard not laugh at this advice.... lol - oh I did sorry.

If you do your homework they have identical hynix or samsung or whatever real ram chipset manufacture is, they will work. If you don't do your homework, have different timings and even sometimes ram manufacture chipset, they still work just at worst timings offered between the mix. In case of worst often have to make sure worst kit in channel A to get boot. The only exception ever seen is laptop's that whitelist/blacklist ram and the first I7's like 980x omg nightmare even with identical sticks to get 3 and dual 4 channel running.

That said I would not recommend it especially if your overclocking the nuts out of a board. But OP you don't need matched kits together for it to work, that's marking hype.

So what should I do in this case? I basically tried everything. Do I really need the memory running at 3600mhz? It's doing just fine now running at 3000mhz.