cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570 motherboard chipset fan speed adjustment

loccc
Level 7
I've ordered X570 Prime Pro board but I become a bit hesitant about that as I didn't see any chipset fan speed control on that board. I noticed that ROG Crosshair VIII Hero and Pro WS X570-ACE boards got that function on latest bios update. Anyone know if similar function will come to other X570 boards like Prime Pro?
11 REPLIES 11

Raventlov
Level 7
At the moment, on my x570-e board the fan speed control for the chipset fan is not present. Maybe in a future bios update because as i analyzed the bios file trough AMIBCP the voice is present but hidden.

Anyway i don't mind the fan at all, i'm more concerned about the temperature. Maybe during the week-end i'll disassembly the chipset heatsink and change the thermal pad with a better one.

loccc
Level 7
Good find. Hopefully the fan control will become available soon.

whenever i check my pch temp in bios it's 35 degree's and checking in windows (through aida, assuming motherboard temp = chipset temp, i did also read it out before via ai suite which also said 35 ish degree's but i'd rather not install it again as it can be pesky to get rid off (formated windows to start over).

temp wise i would like some fan controll, my experience so far has been on 0710 37 degree's chipset temp fan spinning at 1800-2200 RPM, now on 1005 it's sitting at 34 degree's and it's spinning at 2k-2.4k... if summer passes and it drops to sub 30 degree's and spins at 3k i'm contacting support damnit 😛

only thing that might be effecting my pch temp (though i find 40 degree's difference with what most people are seeing od and slightly unbelieveable) but i have 3 120 fans at the bottom of my case (about 2cm away from the board blasting air towards the chipset fan/gpu

loccc wrote:
hopefully the fan control will become available soon.

bring the fan control!

timitys wrote:
bring the fan control!

Still not here in 2020. It's ridiculous. And the fan noise is annoying af.

AAtte
Level 7
I just bought Strix X570-I and my chipset temps to go 67 while idle and my chipset fan is at 5000RPM. How can I fix this? Is there some heat pads missing? Have you fixed this issue by yourself? The fan is silent when the pc is cold, and the chipset fan is at 1000rpm.

Removing the plastic shroud that's above the fan helped me a little bit. The temps are the same, but somehow the fans are not spinning as high as before. Still, the fan stays around 2500 rpm in idle (65 - 67°C) (with GPU fans off) and is pretty audible.

As a test, I unplugged the fan today. Temps go up to 78°C in Idle with the plastic shroud removed. Note that my GPU is right in front of it and the GPU fans stop below 55°C. When I'm playing games my GPU tops out at 60°C, so the fans actually cool the Chipset down to like 72°C.
I really feel like a proper passive heatsink with some actual surface area (not what we have now..) would have done absolutely fine. Considering that the current "heatsink" is just a flat piece of metal the temps aren't that bad without the fan.

junkz25 wrote:
I really feel like a proper passive heatsink with some actual surface area (not what we have now..) would have done absolutely fine. Considering that the current "heatsink" is just a flat piece of metal the temps aren't that bad without the fan.

If you end up taking the heatsink off you will also notice. The chipset has its own substrate and like when cpu die mounted to the laptop board. Operational temps are fine to around 90, 90-95 needs attention and 102/105 will cause throttling or shutdown.

AAtte wrote:
I just bought Strix X570-I and my chipset temps to go 67 while idle and my chipset fan is at 5000RPM. How can I fix this?

I suggest to get a 10 K ohm thermister [the common PTC or "Positive Temperature Coefficient" type] and plug it in to a 2 pin extension heat sensor input on your mobo, which I would think actually has one of those 2 pin sensor inputs. Then tape the thermister end of the cable to the PCH to monitor the chipset's temp. This will bring up a monitor setting in your fan control in the BIOS so you can pick the extension thermister as a source for fan speed control. But if your BIOS does not have this functionality, then I am not sure what else you can do.

You can purchase these 10k thermister cables with a 2 pin header at one end for your mobo, or if you're a handy person you can make it yourself, it's easy. I have a photo of two thermister cables that I soldered the 10k thermister at one end of an old DVD burner digital audio cable that also uses the 2 pin format as the ASUS mobos do. If you are a long toothed PC builder you should have a spare ODD digital cable that you can use. Just cut off one end and keep the female 2 pin header on the other end. Purchase a 10k PTC thermister from a local electronics part supplier such as radio shack etc. or search online and solder the thermister to the opposite cut end of the cable. I use heat shrink tubing to slide over each leg of the thermister before soldering, then use a cigarette lighter to heat shrink the tubing placed over the solder joint to prevent the 2 legs of the thermister from shorting out. Then i put another length of tubing over the whole thermister and also up to about 1 cm or 1/2 inch of the cable and heat shrink the tubing to protect the thermister.