cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G572VL Laptop - Artifacts ALMOST all the Time.

ekztal
Level 7
I have a G572VL Laptop and the display has artifacts on the screen all the time, during the post screen, the windows login screen and after login. I took the keyboard off and checked the display cable. I unplugged it and replugged it. I can wiggle the cable and it doesn't seem to change. I can however tap or wiggle the right front corner and it changes the artifacts.

Here's a video of me tapping on it.

It would seem to me that the motherboard is bad, maybe cracked PCB traces.
Should I go with the bad motherboard route?

An ASUS chat representative said I'm out of warranty and couldn't give me part numbers for the motherboard as they don't have a parts list. I see a number on the board "G752VL Main Board" when searching I get both 60NB09Y0-MB1360 and 60NB09Y0-MB1380 as part numbers. Should those be on the motherboard somewhere?
4 REPLIES 4

jdfrench3
Level 12
That model number had my interest! G572VL

G752VL motherboard label should be green with black lettering.

That is still a rather pricey motherboard, I would advise you work with an authorized ASUS repair center to have the work performed. Purchase of used motherboard online is always a crap-shoot. You never know about the seller's intent.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Umm.. you said you removed the keyboard, and the ribbon. Am I to assume you have dismantled the unit before?

Does your laptop work 100% fine, but start to artficact when it warms up?

Connected an external screen, to see if the problem persists?

Some Steps for now:

Take the ribbon off again, and lightly scrub the terminals with isopropyl 100% with a dental brush. Then reattempt.

Also, try tapping the back of your screen instead of the palm rest, see if the artifacts change even MORE. Try to zero in on the optimum location that affects the screen.

Check GPU temperatures as well.

Darnassus wrote:
Umm.. you said you removed the keyboard, and the ribbon. Am I to assume you have dismantled the unit before?

Does your laptop work 100% fine, but start to artficact when it warms up?

Connected an external screen, to see if the problem persists?

Some Steps for now:

Take the ribbon off again, and lightly scrub the terminals with isopropyl 100% with a dental brush. Then reattempt.

Also, try tapping the back of your screen instead of the palm rest, see if the artifacts change even MORE. Try to zero in on the optimum location that affects the screen.

Check GPU temperatures as well.

This is my first time dismantling this laptop. I did it because of this issue to check for loose display cables any other other problems. The laptop has gone through 3 SATA HHD's in 18 months, so I was checking for any other loose connections.

Artifacts happen immediately upon start up. They don't get any better or worse the longer it stays on.

Plugging a monitor in via HDMI doesn't work as the computer doesn't detect any monitor plugged in. Looks like Fn + F8 should switch to external, both that key combo and manually detecting displays in the Display Settings doesn't work.

Tapping on the screen doesn't change the artifacts at all. But this time I started it without the keyboard/trackpad plugged it at all and tapping anywhere doesn't change the artifacts.

navis995
Level 11
I had a similar issue on g750jz and despite completely fine looking cable it was the cables fault. Then another time it was the MB fault so unless you can use secondary display you really cannot tell which one it is.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD