cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GL502VMK Full Charge Capacity Sudden Drop

HolographicSun
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out why my battery full charge capacity suddenly dropped and how to fix it.

Long story short, on 12 August I repasted both my CPU and GPU due to high temps I had. Everything went well (I disconnected the battery before touching anything else) and I kept using the laptop. Now I noticed my battery charge was stucked at 84% (instead of the usual 90-93%). I tried uninstalling drivers, resetting the battery etc... and now my battery is stuck at 77%, plugged in but not charging.

I don't know what happened. I went from a 55000 mWh to a 44000 mWh. Wear level is at 32% now but when I restarted my laptop it once moved back to 25% and one time instead it increased to 46%. I think before the drop it was at 14% or something like that.

Anyone knows how this could happen and how to fix it?

4 REPLIES 4

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Run the laptop on battery until it's completely flat, then recharge it to see if goes back to normal. You can also reset the EC chip by holding the power button with the laptop off, until the leds starts blinking. If that doesn't fix it, it's very likely that you have a bad battery pack. The battery can go bad really fast when only one of it's cells are going bad. If you're curious if that's the case, you can discharge the battery to around 5-10% and measure its cells voltage individually using a multimeter. Be VERY VERY careful not to short it out. Don't touch it unless you really know what you're doing. The voltages should be pretty much the same all around.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Run the laptop on battery until it's completely flat, then recharge it to see if goes back to normal. You can also reset the EC chip by holding the power button with the laptop off, until the leds starts blinking. If that doesn't fix it, it's very likely that you have a bad battery pack. The battery can go bad really fast when only one of it's cells are going bad. If you're curious if that's the case, you can discharge the battery to around 5-10% and measure its cells voltage individually using a multimeter. Be VERY VERY careful not to short it out. Don't touch it unless you really know what you're doing. The voltages should be pretty much the same all around.

Thanks for the reply! I tried both but it didn't work. Holding the power button with the laptop off just turns off every led light even when powered through AC. Btw I forgot to say that a couple of days ago I noticed my battery led was blinking orange when I was using the laptop and even when laptop was off. I don't know the reason but that's why I checked the Battery wear. Now it doesn't blink anymore, I guess that running on battery and recharging fixed it.

Still, I got 44.034mWh of Full Charge Capacity. One thing I noticed is that every time I remove the AC cable and put it back I get a slighty different value, it keeps increasing up to 46.600mWh, but sometimes it also goes back down to 43.000. I don't think this is a normal behaviour. Sadly I don't have a multimeter at home, but I guess I could not fix it without replacing the battery with a new one. One thing that I don't understand is how this could happen. Like... did I do something wrong when repasting my CPU/GPU? 'cause I remember the first thing I did when opening my laptop was disconnecting the battery so I don't know what possibly went wrong.

I also noticed that now it charges really slowly, sometimes getting stucked at 69% for no reason at a current capacity of 28800 even when the Full Charge is 44.000mWh. If I remove the AC cable and put it back it starts charging normally but after a while it gets stucked again.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:

Just an update. Looks like things got better. I followed some instructions:

- Uninstalled battery drivers.
- Shut down my laptop.
- I disconnected the battery from the motherboard once again.
- Waited 5 minutes then reconnected it.
- Turned on the laptop.

Now my Full Charge Capacity is 49400mWh. It's close to the original 54000mWh. I am charging the laptop to see if it can reach 100% again. Should I try my luck and do it again to see if I can reach 54k? Battery wear level is now 24% (before was 36%).

Idk what's happening, maybe a bad reading instead of a battery problem?

EDIT: Ok so..it still stops charging at 75% 😞

EDIT 2: I tried again and reached 50114mWh but it still stops charging at 80%.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Try resetting the EC chip and if that doesn't work, bite the bullet and order a new battery pack. Don't wait until it starts puffing.