cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Formula X upgraded to Maximus Formula XI. Crashes / reboots when gaming.

Pimpskillet
Level 7
Ok, this first part I will keep simple and short.

I built this computer a little over a year ago, and the thing ran flawlessly. I hadn't built a computer since the early 2000's so I was a little apprehensive about doing so. But everything worked out, didn't have issues with leaks, delidding my CPU, or anything. I added a USB hub to the front of my case to get pictures downloaded off my camera faster than using the USB cable... and in plugging in my USB cable into the USB header on the motherboard, I bent a pin. I was sent a replacement by Asus, but there were no more Formula 10's, so they sent me the 11... XI, whatever you want to call it.

I tossed everything back into place, filled my loop up, rebooted... it wasn't the happiest as it saw the hardware changes, but after a reboot or two and a little time in the BiOS after updating and putting in a somewhat mildish OC, she's up and running again.

BUT.... when the day came that I had a little time off work, I fired up Pubg to see how it was running, and about 5 min into the game it froze, then rebooted. I ran memtest for about 6 hours or so, no errors, loaded the CPU (All cores locked @ 5.0G) using prime95 for an hour and didn't see any temps north of 74 degrees. So IU figure there isn't a ram issue that just sprung up out of nowhere. It's not a heat issue from my CPU.

I guess the other thing I wonder about is the 1080Ti Poseidon.... I've left the OC alone on that while I was running everything... memory, processor, power factor / limit... haven't touched it to keep that from being a possible issue. But I don't know how I might go about trying to test it just for fun / sport. I don't have problems playing turn based games, or watching netflix, youtube.. that sort of thing. But that stuff is flash, and not computer generated polygons....

To the best of my knowledge I've updated everything I can think of or find. Drivers off the website as my Formula X drivers wouldn't work I would assume... I have a "highspeed USB hub" that is always stopped because it didn't load correctly, and another "ethernet driver" that says it has no driver attached, and can't seem to update or make go away.... are these things that a fresh install would fix?

i've tried to talk to asus support but they are not much help at all... they remind me of a Best Buy employee.... and I need a tech who knows how to read an event log.

That being said, I see some system events in the event log, but nothing on there from the moment it crashes ever... it's like the CPU has a divide by 0 error and it just stops dead in its tracks. Sound hangs, video hangs, everything frozen...

It's fustrating after you spend weeks designing / building / testing, and about $7000 on a computer and not be able to do what I should be able to do. I have PcMark scores north of 10500, but even that crashes randomly.

Computer has 8700k, 64G of G.Skill 3000Mhz ram, Samsung 1TB M.2, Poseidon 1080Ti.. fyi
8 REPLIES 8

Pimpskillet
Level 7
Ok, I think I may be narrowing this down to the video card perhaps. I opened up GPU tweak to verify things, and noticed a "OC Scanner" button. I ran it, lowered the GPU temp threshold down to 70, maxed everything else out, and after about 10 min of running, it rebooted itself. Soooooo now I'm wondering if there is an app somewhere to test the stability of the memory in my graphics card, and or the card itself.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Did you reformat Windows when you switched from the Z370 to Z390 chipset?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Pimpskillet
Level 7
Reformat windows? Or the SSD itself? Neither, I plugged it in and ran with it. I had to get into the bios once or twice and update it via the USB slot in the rear of the MB. You think a good start would be a fresh install is what you are saying?

Pimpskillet wrote:
Reformat windows? Or the SSD itself? Neither, I plugged it in and ran with it. I had to get into the bios once or twice and update it via the USB slot in the rear of the MB. You think a good start would be a fresh install is what you are saying?

What I meant did you reinstall Windows when you switched?

This is a must especially when you move from one chipset to another.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

Pimpskillet
Level 7
Hey thanks for your help so far.... I did reinstall just the other day now after my last post. But I'm still getting the same issues. I specifically went to the Maximus XI page and manually updated the chipset drivers too just incase. I've also noticed I have newer drivers than "EZ update" shows, and I wonder if maybe the ones that show up in the EZ update are the last known good drivers that work. Kind of like the Aura and the lighting control... I have an older version that works, but if I update that, then I have all sorts of issues with it. So I wonder if I've perhaps updated too far?

'm also not very versed at all when it comes to reading dmp files, but I'm assuming I should be able to see something there pointing me in the direction of what could be wrong?

I have a few days off starting Wed, so I may try reverting my OC's and everything just to make sure that isn't an issue. But it was always solid before. I see you are at 5.2G... which I could get up too but backed mine off to 5.0 before the MB change, but not sure what I may have done differently this time, so I'm somewhat curious of your BiOS settings there too.

Pimpskillet wrote:
Hey thanks for your help so far.... I did reinstall just the other day now after my last post. But I'm still getting the same issues. I specifically went to the Maximus XI page and manually updated the chipset drivers too just incase. I've also noticed I have newer drivers than "EZ update" shows, and I wonder if maybe the ones that show up in the EZ update are the last known good drivers that work. Kind of like the Aura and the lighting control... I have an older version that works, but if I update that, then I have all sorts of issues with it. So I wonder if I've perhaps updated too far?

'm also not very versed at all when it comes to reading dmp files, but I'm assuming I should be able to see something there pointing me in the direction of what could be wrong?

I have a few days off starting Wed, so I may try reverting my OC's and everything just to make sure that isn't an issue. But it was always solid before. I see you are at 5.2G... which I could get up too but backed mine off to 5.0 before the MB change, but not sure what I may have done differently this time, so I'm somewhat curious of your BiOS settings there too.

Yes testing at default bios setting is critical to determining stability issues.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

Nice System btw,

This is to repair windows install :-

run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannnow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again. If this becomes a loop of cant fix then you need fresh install of windows or to reset windows (personally I would blow it away and fresh install)

Check you are running the latest motherboard bios as this can stop windows updates
you can run [CMD] then [ver] to check but this is current version Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.295] 64 bit

Next get Snappy Driver Installer from https://sdi-tool.org/download/ Use the light version, youtube a video on it if cant figure out how to use this program. What it does is get the most up to date / best drivers for your system. This will eliminate a possible driver issue.

Hope you find this of help.

Pimpskillet
Level 7
Ok ... everything checked out. There were quite a few drivers that I updated. Still had the issue. So I went ahead and reverted everything in my Bios to the factory settings and apparently that was the issue. I'm not sure exactly what the issue was, but I'm going to start going thru everything I changed, one thing at a time until I figure out what it likes.