cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z390P New Build: Fans Start and Stop, No Boot

Basspig
Level 7
Just finished assembling a new system for my wife. But it looks like one or another component is defective.

When I turn on the rocker switch on the Seasonic S650 power supply, the yellow LEDs on the back of the motherboard illuminate, along with more LEDs at the PCI slots.

When I turn on the power, the fans start for 1/2 second and stop. The power supply fan is not running either.

If I disconnect the EATX 8 pin connector, and start the system, the same thing happens with one difference, the PSU fan runs.

My suspicion is either the PSU is not able to handle the load or there is some defect with CPU or motherboard.

Build details:

Asus Z390P
Seasonic S650 PSU
i7-7700T CPU
Asus Geforce GTX1650 4GB

I tried unplugging the 24 pin connector and plugging on the 'test' jumper that comes with the PSU and turning on the rocker switch, but I don't hear any fan running. Bad PSU?
Regards,
Mark
"If it doesn't cause an earthquake, you need a bigger subwoofer."
4 REPLIES 4

Basspig
Level 7
Based on reading other threads, I've tried the following:

Disconnect everything but the CPU from motherboard. Remove RAM modules, GPU, etc. Try to power up. Same situation.

Revisited the PSU test. Disconnected PSU and plugged in the test jumper. Can feel air moving at the back of power supply grill, so apparently, though silent, it IS running. Of course that does not mean the rails are good.

Took out CPU and reseated CPU and cooler assembly. Retested. Same result. The fans pulse for 0.5 second and then stop.

Not sure at this point if it's the PSU or motherboard that's defective.

Out of desparation, I tried jumpering the green and black wire (3&4) on the 24 pin connector. This enabled the power to come on and stay on. However, still no output from either the motherboard displayport or the GPU displayport. Seems like power supply is operational, but no POST from motherboard.
Regards,
Mark

Basspig
Level 7
I just finished testing the PSU connected to the motherboard and powered up via the jumper method.
All voltage rails are producing the correct voltages and within 1% of specified values.

At this point, I think the problem is the motherboard.
Regards,
Mark

Basspig
Level 7
UPDATE:

Just removed CPU again and powered up board. Same thing with the fans, but the light on the M.2 SSD glows orange and stays on. Only PSU fan runs. All other fans stopped.

Put CPU back in, powered on and everything shuts down after a brief pulse of power. PSU fan NOT running.

So what do y'all think? Bad CPU or bad motherboard?
Regards,
Mark

Basspig
Level 7
No time left. RMA's both CPU and motherboard back to Amazon.
Regards,
Mark