cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building my render/gaming rig. - Advices needed

Tenshi
Level 7
Hi guys,

I need an advice for my future gaming/render rig. Recently i read a lot of bad feedback for the motherboard i wanna buy, and i need a more realistic approach and comments, this will help me decide. I don't know a lot of computers just the basics, don't plan to overclocked the system and such, just connected the devices and start working/playing.

I plan to buy this:

-Crosshair V Formula/ThunderBolt
-Corsair Vengeance® — 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
-AMD FX-8150 FX 8-Core Black Edition Processor

I already have an nvidia 470GTX(which sometime in the future i will change for their warm up issues ._.) but for now i will stay with that. The machine will be use as a decent workstation, for playing games, make 3D renders, and design work.

So what do you think? I mostly need advices if any of those components will gave me troubles(hardware/software) and how to solve them.
Aside of that if do you think i will need a water cooling solution for any of those?
and at last, i read a lot of bad comments for buying that motherboard, mostly for manufacturer issues. Those are true? i mean there's a % of damaged hardware, but if there's more people complaining is ..because something is happening; so what are your thoughts.

I really appreciate your feedback guys, thanks a lot!

Tenshi.
89 REPLIES 89

HiVizMan
Level 40
If the thunderbolt is a critical part of your set up then good, otherwise loose it. Not a fan do not like it and would not ever suggest that someone buy that combo. 🙂

For rendering the 8150 is great and you will be pleased with it.

The board is seriously a great board, the reason you hear problems is because the only time folks post on a support forum is because they need help. And from the few times I have helped I would say a fair proportion of those issues were self inflicted. The Thunderbolt I do not like. So get the version without one if it is cheaper.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chrsplmr
Level 18
HiVizMan == ThankYou as always for your honesty .. and of course expert advice.
We dont always have to like the answers we get, but we Always have
to know it is the truth as you believe it ... and we do.
You may be an Asus 'FanMan'...but you wont drink the KoolAide.cudos.

OP: You cant go wrong with the CrossHair V -- yes, I am bias.
I am leaving my wife for mine.

<<<<<<< What does this mean ? OTT ?
Which Members ? Were they stoned ? hahahahhaa Wuz ur 'Thing' too big to fit ??? ahhahahaa
Well...thats not the first time you heard that....hahahaha.c.

chrsplmr wrote:

I am leaving my wife for mine.

Come on, your wife leave you to come leave with me. Ménage à trois

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL Chris - I got a couple of requests asking me to make the image a bit smaller due to a concern it would distract from the content. Will get it resized when next DC is online.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Oh lord, i didn't knew the reply would be so fast, thank you thank you thank you! 🙂

So, HiVizMan, i just wanna say thanks, i really appreciate your thoughts, today i was planning what i can do.
My budget is: $800 and i don't wanna waste in something doesn't work or give me troubles, so i think i'm more calm now.

I didn't knew the thunderbolt itself, was the problem; in fact i thought it would be the best; and No., the thunderbolt is not part of the thing i need for my work; sound like a nice feature but well... i prefer to omit that piece.

Have 4 more question.
- The version without the thunderbolt, have exactly the same specs, right?
- The case i have already is an Sentey Arvina GS-6400, you think there would be a problem of size and such(a video here http://youtu.be/JvsL40VJ6T8)
- The motherboard itself support FX-8150 right out of the BOX? Or i need another processor, install it, update the bios, and then put the fx-8150 on it?
- Another thing i hear a lot and read(in amazon for example) is that, it has manufacturer issues and the board always are damaged ._.

You know, i'm afraid to spent a lot on the board; i'm not from usa, i'm from ecuador; and if thats the case i will need a refund and send the device back and blablabla more money, money that i don't have. So i wanna be sure of all of this.
Like i said before, theres always a dead on arrival issue; not everything is perfect, but in general terms everything is fine?

If i buy this, this would be my rig:

-Asus Crosshair V Formula
-Corsair Vengeance® — 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
-AMD FX-8150 FX 8-Core Black Edition Processor
-Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX850 Fully-Modular Power Supply
-PNY Geforce GTX470
-Samsung 500GB HD502HJ

Thanks a lot! after these questions i'll be more confident. =D need this machine in less than 3 weeks 😉

Tenshi.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would look at some other ram options since you are going AMD - the vengeance range have not filled me with joy to date. But many many people are happy with them.

Other than that it is looking good.

HiVizMan wrote:
I would look at some other ram options since you are going AMD - the vengeance range have not filled me with joy to date. But many many people are happy with them.

Other than that it is looking good.

Hi, yes i was looking out for some other options, the thing is that, i only saw in the compatibility memory list, the board supports 16GB on Corsair; and i've been reading it's very picky on that side and need to buy no other than from that list.
And please, please.. read my questions above, those are my doubts about this rig.

so.. what do i do?

Tenshi wrote:
Hi, yes i was looking out for some other options, the thing is that, i only saw in the compatibility memory list, the board supports 16GB on Corsair; and i've been reading it's very picky on that side and need to buy no other than from that list.
And please, please.. read my questions above, those are my doubts about this rig.

so.. what do i do?

i've used gskill for 3 different rigs now with good reults try these GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 4x4gb its in the QVL from ASUS support

trailer park boy wrote:
i've used gskill for 3 different rigs now with good reults try these GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 4x4gb its in the QVL from ASUS support

Thanks! I'll check the price and more info about it.