cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apology to Asus, bent CPU pin

Richard_Dower
Level 9
Dont know how I did it when installing the CPU originally.
Longer explanation in video below:

https://youtu.be/8N4wlIQEXAA
3 REPLIES 3

Frostie36
Level 7
With the amount of threads you've been creating, moaning at Asus is an apology enough, maybe an apology & a round of beers lol

Just goes to show I guess that no matter how much of an expert anyone thinks the are when it comes to dealing with pc's, they should check, double check & triple check before coming to any conclusions.

I've been dealing with pc issues & building pc's for about as long as you, got my first pc way back in 2001, that was a pre-built oem system but all the others since then I've built myself & believe me, I've come across some weird issue at times, feeling a bit like I'm in the twilight zone with some problems I've come across, has taken me a whole day sometimes to fault find but I always find the solution eventually, that must be why I'm the first person my friends and family call whenever they have any pc problems!

andyliu
Level 9
glad you have it sorted out and it is working again 🙂
alway remember heat up the CPU before removing it.
Pulling the CPU along w/ heatsink can potentially damage the pins, like pulling the pin off.

It was probably slightly off and not making proper contact.

similar thing can happen with intel socket too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H5_FVX9lU

all pin does is bridging the cpu and motherboard.
as long as you did not twist the pin too much and it's not going to break off, it will be fine.

Delta9K
Level 9
@Richard_Dower
Hey, that was really good of you to post the root cause - Many lesser men would have just silently slipped into the interwebs.
Kudo's to you for sharing what you discovered and hopefully it will help someone.
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w