cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GU502 Suite of Possible Software Issues

humblebug
Level 8
If you have a GU502, please test for the issues described below and let me know how you fare. I had the luxury of testing four units and they all suffered from the problems below (except the last).

Aura Creator

When applying a lighting scheme created in Aura Creator, no matter the scheme, the Enter key and Right Shift key do not completely light up. Specifically, the right half of each fails to light up, with a subtle intermittent flicker, while the left half of these two keys lights up as expected.

All LEDs on the keyboard backlight work correctly when setting "Basic Effects" in Aura Sync and any when using any of the presets under the System lighting settings.

Sonic Studio 3

When effects are turned on, they apply inconsistently. More specifically, they apply to an initial instance of any call to the audio hardware, but fail upon subsequent calls to the hardware.

Here is an exact procedure you may be able to replicate:
- Open Sonic Studio 3.
- Enable effects and EQ.
- Activate reverb, switch it to church, and turn it up all the way so that the effect is obvious.
- Play a youtube video. (hear the effect)
- Click on another video and play it. (It is at this point, the effect no longer applies correctly, reverb is gone)

I have experienced similar behavior with the Windows sound that plays when adjusting volume on the task tray. It works the first time. But once the slider goes away, it doesn't sound right correct subsequent adjustments to the volume. The weird thing is that: toggling the effects on and off once the error presents itself still changes the way audio sounds, so it seems to be working if you're not paying close attention, but it does not observe any of the specific effect settings.

Armoury Crate (Manual Mode)

The fan speed sliders allow setting both a minimum and maximum fan speed for CPU and GPU, but the fan will always run at the maximum speed. Setting the minimum fan speed does nothing.

MyAsus

Updating through MyAsus fails ever since windows update installed BIOS 304. Windows events shows a faulting module alvupdt.dll.
3 REPLIES 3

dicol3
Level 7
I get the same errors and same faulting module when trying to run the update "ASUS VBIOS Tool for GU502GU". I have not found a solution for this.

Same issue here and its been driving me f'ing nuts. I have 2 of the GX502's and I also have 2 GU502's

Right side Shift & Enter keys only half-illuminate with Aura Creator since day 1. There is no way to fix this.

I have a pretty big following on twitter & have put Asus ROG on blast. They actually replied within an hour to start trying to help. Weeks later I have finally been given a private beta firmware update that the engineers made for me to see if it fixed the issue. STILL NOT WORKING.

I have little faith that this issue will ever be fixed and have had to resort to NOT using individually backlit keys (F'ing sucks major advertised feature that doesn't work)

Asus you kick ass with hardware but god damn you guys are terrible software designers. F'ing stupid that you cant even figure out how to illuminate all of the LED's in a key. I could literally fix this myself in 1 hour or less if I had access to the developer toolkit for our computers.

dicol3 wrote:
I get the same errors and same faulting module when trying to run the update "ASUS VBIOS Tool for GU502GU". I have not found a solution for this.

Same issue there, I'm thinking about uninstalling it...