cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Speed Issue Crosshair 7 Hero, Ryzen 3000

Hyneeps3
Level 7
Hello Asus Forums, (hope this is the right discussion thread!)

So I know you've probably read the title and know where it's going. I didn't do the proper research before buying the C7H and didn't check the memory compatibility list. However, I've been doing some research on the AGESA Bios and what other people have done. First off:

Moreorless, I just want to know if anyone has paired my memory with this board and has had any success.

Rig:
R9 3900X
C7H X470 (Non Wifi)
32 GB Corsair DDR4 3200 CL16 Vengeance RGB PRO CMW32GX4M2C3200C16
RTX 2080 Ti
EVGA G2 850W

So this memory is optimized for XMP, but I haven't seen anything about DOCP, but there is a DOCP profile for the timings and latency. However, I can only get it to run at max 3000Mhz and have it post successfully everytime. Increasing the voltage (even to the Hynix max) and the V-Boot do not fix this. I was reading up on memory compatibility with Ryzen, and the 3000s, and some have said that it seems to be bios specific, not board specific.

With that being said, I did see that a few people had been using the exact same ram and DOCP profile, but with the Crosshair Hero 8, with the same AGESA version. (I've tried multiple Bios btw). I haven't been able to get in contact them yet. I wasn't able to find a QVL list for the C8, and the list for the C7H is over a year old, but I guess it hasn't been updated for Ryzen 3000?

I suspect that there won't be a solution, but I'm just curious if anyone has any knowledge/experience with this and might have some advice. If not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for your time!
3 REPLIES 3

RedSector73
Level 12
Make sure you have put the memory in slots A2 and B2 (2 & 4) not 1&3

I use the latest bios (Version 0803) hero viii, and samsung b-die ram, that's paired but working in my system.

These are my computer benchmarks:-
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2cd983ca26abf519&id=2CD983CA26ABF519%2131406&sff=1&authkey=!APvoaIlZE...
User Benchmark
3D Mark Score
Passmark Bench Score

check out DRAM calculator for some tighter timings or ones that might work with your ram.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/new-dram-calculator-for-ryzen-v1-6-0-1-adds-full-ryzen-30...
Use something like Thaiphoon to confirm the ram is hynix. I have hynix ram working in my other hero (x370) board with 2700x. I realise yours is 7 (x470) board but if 6 & 8 work then figure that the 7 should be ok as well.

RedSector73 wrote:
Make sure you have put the memory in slots A2 and B2 (2 & 4) not 1&4

I use the latest bios (Version 0803) hero viii, and samsung b-die ram, that's paired but working in my system.

These are my computer benchmarks:-
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2cd983ca26abf519&id=2CD983CA26ABF519%2131406&sff=1&authkey=!APvoaIlZE...
User Benchmark
3D Mark Score
Passmark Bench Score

check out DRAM calculator for some tighter timings or ones that might work with your ram.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/new-dram-calculator-for-ryzen-v1-6-0-1-adds-full-ryzen-30...
Use something like Thaiphoon to confirm the ram is hynix. I have hynix ram working in my other hero (x370) board with 2700x. I realise yours is 7 (x470) board but if 6 & 8 work then figure that the 7 should be ok as well.

Omg, I feel like an idiot XD. I spent way too much time looking over the obvious. I knew not to have my memory in say slots 1 an 4, because it wouldnt run in dual channel mode (and a myriad of other issues could occur too on some boards). I had put them in 1 and 3, (A1, B1) which is generally the main ram slots on most boards (at least the ones i've worked with, but they were all ddr3 boards). Put them in 2 and 4, and it worked perfectly! And I even got a bit of an OC out of them.

Thanks for the help! Sorry for the stupidity (it pays to read the manual!) I also learned about Thaiphoon yesterday, and I plan to use it to see if I can get better timings for an OC. I tried to use the DRAM calculator with Zen2 but had some issues getting exact timings, but I'll probably figure it out.

Anyways, thank you so much!

I did the same thing on my x570 and set it 3200 relaxed timings, cursed a lot and then it took me three days before I look into the case (clear glass panel ffs) and and realise my mistake, don't feel bad.

Glad you have it worked out.