cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvme and Asus maximus XI extreme, slow data transfer

resendebauru
Level 7
Good evening mates!
I'm having some trouble with nvme (960 evo) and asus maximus Xi extreme.
I don't know why, but I have slow transfer rate between my nvme. All drivers are installed, I'm not sure about pch storage configuration (sata controllers enabled, sata mode selection AHCI).
When transferring big files (an 45gb iso, for example) I have a drop from 1.9GB/s to 590MB/s in a few seconds.
Both nvme at pcie slot (pch) , 4x, etc. No sata devices connected.

My config is:

9900k@5ghz
Asus maximus Xi extreme
32gb corsair vengeance 3000mhz
2x500gb nvme Samsung 960 evo
2x1080gtx

Thanks for your attention!
8 REPLIES 8

resendebauru
Level 7
Anybody?!

mondenath01
Level 7
Even nvme has ram and it depends on where you copy between nvme things slow over time at 45gb it’s shouldn’t. But it seems recently firmware 2401 z370 slows the overall speed. Did you copy single file as iso can be looked as single try single big 4K file it should not slow down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the procedure for install of windows on nvme drive. (this won't apply if you have fast boot time into windows 10, your nvme drive should be sub 23 seconds to boot into default windows 10, as rough guide)

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it. A Windows DVD won't work unless you've created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in, I don't think this would work with previous versions.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives. Typically you don't put anything on SATA port 1 as this is now reserved for the NVME drive and may cause a conflict (so don't use it unless you have no choice). I cant confirm or deny if this would also effect sata port 2 given your running a second drive (maybe avoid second one as well, if you can).

In regards to transfer between two drives, make sure your using Samsung nvme driver, the default windows one tends to degrade like your seeing. Snappy driver installer is one way to get the best optimal drivers for your system. Use the lite version https://sdi-tool.org/download/

Hope you find this of help 😉

dingo99
Level 10
resendebauru wrote:

When transferring big files (an 45gb iso, for example) I have a drop from 1.9GB/s to 590MB/s in a few seconds.

500GB 960 Evo has 22GB of SLC cache, with sustained write speed of 600MB/s. In other words, your drive is behaving exactly as expected. If the speed drop is unacceptable, then you'll need to purchase Pro drives instead of Evo.

Detleg
Level 12
I gave up on it, went back to my 850 pro ssd, maybe a hotfix will come soon, but until then im using the 970evo+ as a backup

Jesseinsf
Level 10
resendebauru wrote:
Good evening mates!
I'm having some trouble with nvme (960 evo) and asus maximus Xi extreme.
I don't know why, but I have slow transfer rate between my nvme. All drivers are installed, I'm not sure about pch storage configuration (sata controllers enabled, sata mode selection AHCI).
Both nvme at pcie slot (pch) , 4x, etc. No sata devices connected.

My config is:

9900k@5ghz
Asus maximus Xi extreme
32gb corsair vengeance 3000mhz
2x1080gtx

Thanks for your attention!

Turn off the whole SATA mechanism and anything you don't need. Example: I also turn off LAN ports that I don't need. I have the XI Extreme and I use the 970 Pro NVMe and I get blistering speeds. Also, make sure Native NVMe driver is turned on and all PCIe speed settings are set to Gen 3. When wiping the drive you will need to use the Samsung Bootable Secure Erase utility that is included with Samsung Magician. If you are using RAID mode then you are stuck using Intel's Generic RAID controller Driver.

Does using NVME and SATA slow things down overall?

I.e. Two SATA SSDs and two NVMEs?

pilotrobbie wrote:
Does using NVME and SATA slow things down overall?

I.e. Two SATA SSDs and two NVMEs?

I have two SSD's and one Nvme, no slower than if I just had single Nvme. I cant see two Nvme making things slower. I made it a rule of mine to avoid using Sata port 1 as I had it cause a conflict in the past with Nvme (cant even remember if it was asus or gigabyte board).

You can check your Nvme windows install via HWinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/ to see if done correctly, on the bottom right of the system summary, Operating System UEFI Boot (in green) & Secure Boot (in green) would be clean install of windows on to Nvme. (fastest boot time)