cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus CH7 Chipset runs hot

Sminka
Level 7
I wanted to ask if other users with the same motherboard have about the same temperature, or is it my motherboard's fault?
If I play something then the chipset 67c to 70c is warm. If my complete computer is idle then the chipset is about 55c to 60c warm.
https://i.imgur.com/VAc3TE2.png

My airflow is good, otherwise my other components would be not so cool. My case is a meshify c with 3 noctua a12x25 in the front. And my CPU cooler is noctua nh-d15
18 REPLIES 18

igralec84
Level 7
Mine's usually 46°C at idle on desktop, open case with no airflow to the board, room temp 24.5°C. But my CPU is water cooled with a EKWB custom loop.

xeizo
Level 12
My chipset is usually around 48-50C, check if you have chipset voltage too high, was buggy in one bios version and was up to 1.35V. AFAIK it should be ca 1.1V.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

neotokyo
Level 7
Mine also sits around 43c to 48c idle or when playing a game. What bios are you using? Did you check if the PCH voltage was correct in the bios?

My bios is 2703 and the voltage is 1,08. So my mainboard is faulty?

neotokyo
Level 7
If the motherboard is new/recent, yeah, open a RMA ticket. The chipset might not be faulty, but checking the thermal paste (or thermal pad) on the chipset, like removing heat spreader to see if there is any, might void the warranty.

edit: I assume it's always been the case. If the chipset ran cooler with an older bios, ignore what I just wrote and revert back to an older bios.

maybe it's because the mainboard in my case is 1-2cm to the rear and the fans in the front only cool the graphics card?

neotokyo
Level 7
If the chipset doesn't get any air, like the airflow doesn't reach the chipset to recycle the hot air accumulated around it, yes it's more than possible it's the cause. Try to put a fan in front of the chipset. If it runs cooler, in the range of the temperatures everyone posted/replied, you need to rethink your airflow.

I cant rethink my airflow because there is nothing to do. https://i.imgur.com/Z9Ref7L.png Like you see the mainboard is rearward offset. And there is no way to put a fan there.

neotokyo
Level 7
lol I didn't mean to put a fan in front of the chipset permanently, a regular house fan would have done the trick, it was to give it some airflow to see if the temp lowered to something more normal before opening a support ticket. I was imagining some exotic set up when you wrote that your front intake fan only cooled the GPU.
Just open a support ticket.

My H440 has 3 front fans that run at 600~900rpm with a drive directly between the fans and the chipset, blocking most of its airflow, a RTX2070 installed on the top PCIE, and the temperature of the chipset never go over 50c.