Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Question G551J > I Want To Replace The Optical Drive with an SSD Drive Using a Caddy.

    Hello awesome ROG community!
    First, please forgive my bad English!

    I have a ROG G551J laptop and I want to replace the CD drive with an SSD storage using a caddy. Is it possible on the G551J?

    I want to know what caddy size should I order. And I'm planning to put the windows system on this new storage, I use this laptop with my office work, so I carry my laptop everyday, will the new storage placement get affected with the vibrations of being carried in the bag everyday?

    EDIT: And please, is the optical drive connector for this model is SATA II or a SATA III?

    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by DarkWing-ZERO; 09-02-2019 at 01:31 PM.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,108

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWing-ZERO View Post
    Hello awesome ROG community!
    First, please forgive my bad English!

    I have a ROG G551J laptop and I want to replace the CD drive with an SSD storage using a caddy. Is it possible on the G551J?

    I want to know what caddy size should I order. And I'm planning to put the windows system on this new storage, I use this laptop with my office work, so I carry my laptop everyday, will the new storage placement get affected with the vibrations of being carried in the bag everyday?

    EDIT: And please, is the optical drive connector for this model is SATA II or a SATA III?

    Thanks in advance!
    Standard 2.5" laptop hard drive conversion caddy most likely SATA 1.5 or SATA II, The connector itself is the same for All SATA versions its the SATA Controler that controls the speed.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  3. #3
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Standard 2.5" laptop hard drive conversion caddy most likely SATA 1.5 or SATA II, The connector itself is the same for All SATA versions its the SATA Controler that controls the speed.
    Thanks for the information!
    So, should I replace the HDD with the new SSD and then put the HDD in a caddy replacing the CD drive?

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,108

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWing-ZERO View Post
    Thanks for the information!
    So, should I replace the HDD with the new SSD and then put the HDD in a caddy replacing the CD drive?
    Yes you should put in a SSD for your OS, I would put in a SSD in the Optical drive slot also, then put your old Hard drive in an external case and if it still good? use it for back up images. I don't have any spinners in any of my notebooks any longer.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array navis995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Reputation
    50
    Posts
    315

    I would put HDD in as the speed will be too slow for SSD but fine for HDD.
    Asus Rog G750JZ
    Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.0Ghz @ -70mV)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +70Mhz Core, +400Mhz Memory @ 1.000V)
    RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
    Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
    Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Reputation
    55
    Posts
    482

    Navis995, the G551J laptop model came equipped with a Intel HM87 chipset supporting both SATA II and SATA III. In fact some models actually came with SSDs. Now I have to agree with Clintgm that the CDROM connectivity is probably SATA II.
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array navis995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Reputation
    50
    Posts
    315

    Quote Originally Posted by jdfrench3 View Post
    Navis995, the G551J laptop model came equipped with a Intel HM87 chipset supporting both SATA II and SATA III. In fact some models actually came with SSDs. Now I have to agree with Clintgm that the CDROM connectivity is probably SATA II.
    There is almost no way they put sata 3 port in optical drive caddy.
    Asus Rog G750JZ
    Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.0Ghz @ -70mV)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +70Mhz Core, +400Mhz Memory @ 1.000V)
    RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
    Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
    Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Julskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    30
    Posts
    388

    Quote Originally Posted by navis995 View Post
    There is almost no way they put sata 3 port in optical drive caddy.
    How did you know this? He should just test the ssd in his laptop to know for sure. I have an old G752VT and I have tested an SSD in a caddy at the optical bay and it turned up as sata 3. If you connect an optical drive, it will show as sata 1 but if you connect a sata 3 device, it will also show a sata 3 device. I have verified this a long time ago using crystaldiskmark fyi.

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array navis995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Reputation
    50
    Posts
    315

    Quote Originally Posted by Julskey View Post
    How did you know this? He should just test the ssd in his laptop to know for sure. I have an old G752VT and I have tested an SSD in a caddy at the optical bay and it turned up as sata 3. If you connect an optical drive, it will show as sata 1 but if you connect a sata 3 device, it will also show a sata 3 device. I have verified this a long time ago using crystaldiskmark fyi.
    basically the Speeds will be half of those here the main drives are
    Asus Rog G750JZ
    Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.0Ghz @ -70mV)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +70Mhz Core, +400Mhz Memory @ 1.000V)
    RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
    Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
    Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWing-ZERO View Post
    Hello awesome ROG community!
    First, please forgive my bad English!

    I have a ROG G551J laptop and I want to replace the CD drive with an SSD storage using a caddy. Is it possible on the G551J?

    I want to know what caddy size should I order. And I'm planning to put the windows system on this new storage, I use this laptop with my office work, so I carry my laptop everyday, will the new storage placement get affected with the vibrations of being carried in the bag everyday?

    EDIT: And please, is the optical drive connector for this model is SATA II or a SATA III?

    Thanks in advance!
    A standar 2.5 drive is good enogh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •