cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme dead motherboard?

strapkass
Level 7
My Rampage V Extreme U/3.1 2011-3 board has been playing up with random black screens, BSOD's and general multiple boot errors including overclock messages even though the system is not overclocked.

It has deteriorated over the period of a month to the point where it will now not boot at all after my trial and error hardware changes.

The CPU stats when I could get into BIOS seemed fine including temperature.

During the period of a month and gradual deterioration, I changed the PSU from a Corsair 850RM to an 850I, changed ram for a new Corsair 2400 single stick, changed GPU , re-seated RAM old and new, re-applied thermal paste to the CPU.

Tried BIOS flash, tried BIOS 2, replaced BIOS 1 with a new BIOS chip with latest firmware from Ebay all to no avail.

On the rare occasions that I get the splash screen, when I hit DEL I get a predominately black screen with a horozontal stripe of green pixels and the hit del key message. Systems hangs.

No drives connected just single stick of RAM, CPU & GPU.

QLED consistently shows B2 and the VGA light on the motherboard is constantly lit red, Cards work fine in other system though so it's not the cards

QLED checks and RAM count seem fine with no errors.

Never displayed QLED 00

Memcount seems fine.

Safe boot yields nothing..

Warranty expired in 2018 so no help from ASUS.

Have ordered a second-hand Gigabyte board to test the CPU

Anybody got any ideas before I'm forced to bin the board ?
6 REPLIES 6

R5Eandme
Level 12
Hello.

The boot code 0xB2 means "Legacy Option ROM Initialization". So I think it is hanging when trying to use BIOS code, and your BIOS might be corrupted. Have you tried switching to the backup BIOS chip and booting from that one? This board has BIOS1 and BIOS2 chips, manual switch on the mobo.

R5Eandme
Level 12
Hello,

Code B2 means "Legacy Option ROM Initialization". That code may not refer to the BIOS chip because you already swapped BIOS1 and BIOS2 and installed a replacement BIOS chip. Besides you are probably using UEFI rather then legacy BIOS?

The Code B2 might mean that the VGA firmware initialization is failing, which makes sense because your VGA light on the motherboard is constantly lit and you are only getting a green stripe on the screen when you try to enter BIOS. But you say the video card works fine in other systems. I assume you've been using accessory power connectors for the video card.

If you are using UEFI BIOS did you ever try to turn off Secure Boot to see if the boot process proceeds with that video card?

Also did you try booting with the Firepower FCA610 sound card unplugged?

I am just thinking out loud about the clues, but have no idea what is happening. Nevertheless I am curious what is the current status and hope it doesn't happen to me.

I only have CPU, GPU and 1 stick of RAM connected...Booting out of case with no other connectors. Tried 3 different GPU's all of which work fine in my other system.

Have bought a second hand Gigabyte board which is yielding the same B2 QLED code only this time I get no VGA signal or at best after maybe 1 in 7 boots, a black screen and nothing else.

New stick of Corsair RAM so I'm assuming rightly or wrongly that it's not that

I'm beginning to think now that it may be the processor.

Don't have a speaker attached to my board so I have ordered a couple to hear what's going on ...

Going to find a cheap processor just to rule out CPU and another stick of RAM although the RAM count is reaching 99 on the QLED?

Puzzled to say the least.

I have put the original BIOS chips back in the order they came out.

The AMI BIOS code 99 means "Super IO Initialization", which was a controller on older motherboards for various ports (USB, etc). Maybe the CPU has taken over some of its functions these days, I am not sure. The fact that you are getting the same problem with a different motherboard and various GPUs does implicate the CPU.

memetic
Level 7
I have the same problem as you and tried the same things you did. The only difference is I get the code "00". Seems to me, these MoBos are made to last until just a short time after the warranty is up. I hope I am wrong.

xkm121
Level 7
QCODE 00 on ASUS X99 usually means dead CPU or dead MoBo. Most of the time it is actually both. Sorry son you may have killed your system. It is a very wide spread problem. Search ASUS X99 qcode 00 and you should see a ton of threads show up.

What CPU did you use? Did you overclock your cache/ring? How high was your VCCSA and Vcache?