cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VROC rebuild time taking forever

User5437
Level 7
My VROC array is in the "rebuilding" state and I'm wondering how long it will take since there's no progress percentage displayed and I've waited over 2 days.

It's 4x Optane 905p 380GB drives in RAID10. I noticed that one of the four drives had become unrecognized so I attempted to remove it. I removed drive 1 (accidentally as I was looking for drive 4) and then put it back. In doing so, I'm wondering if I somehow destroyed the array because at one point there was two drives missing which is more than the fault tolerance of one can handle. But I didn't boot an operating system during this time, only the BIOS, so there shouldn't have been any writes to the disk.

Now there's three drives connected and the array status shows as rebuilding. Viewing the details of each drive in the BIOS it shows that the status of the first two are "RAID Member", the third is "RAID Member (Rebuilding)", and a fourth isn't listed (because it's dead).

I tried rebooting into Windows but the Windows loading screen is shown for more than 24 hours. Should I continue to wait at the BIOS screen where it says rebuilding? How do I know that it's actually making progress in rebuilding?
4 REPLIES 4

BigJohnny
Level 13
Rebuilding can take some time. Depends on the data on it. Lots of small files like the OS with all the DLL files take forever. The only redundancy type raid I run is on my NAS with massive amounts of large files and 2 disk fault tolerance. For my OS There is no raid, not even 0 due to latency it causes. I just keep incremental backups to the NAS.

It been a week now and it still just says Rebuilding with no percentage. Does it normally show a percentage? Could this take months? Can I try swapping some of the drives to other slots or will that definitely destroy the array?

After waiting two weeks the status remained as Rebuilding. I received the replacement drive today, marked it as a Spare in the BIOS VROC config, and rebooted but the status is now Rebuilding again (without a percentage) and the spare doesn't seem to have been used at all (it's listed in a list that's separate from the RAID array list). Here's a rundown of the array:

Slot 0: RAID Member
Slot 1: RAID Member
Slot 2: RAID Member (Rebuilding)
Slot 3: Spare

Is there anything that I can do to troubleshoot further or is it another two weeks of waiting without knowing if anything is happening?

I was able to fix this by installing Windows on another drive and installing the Intel RSTe application. As soon as the application was opened it showed a percentage beside the Rebuilding status which quickly rose to 100% within 5 minutes. Seems the Windows version RAID utility can do something that the BIOS RAID utility can't.