cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy G75VW laptop

Fetito
Level 7
Hello!

I don't know if t's the fan or the HDD, but the laptop is kinda noisy lately.

How do I know what's the component that's so noisy?

If it's just the fan, is it expensive to exchange?

GPU and CPU temperatures are normal.

Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6

jdfrench3
Level 12
From your past posts back in 2013, you are writing about an ASUS G75VW? The ASUS G75VW was developed back in 2011 and first came with Windows 7.

1. Has the laptop been upgraded to Windows 8, then 8.1, and then to 10?

2. Have you swapped out both the hard drives for SSDs? Hard drives have a spinning sound, SSDs are silent. Best performance improvement for this laptop.

3. Have you cleaned out and/or replaced both fans lately? The fans need to be cleaned every couple months or so. The fans do wear out and require replacement after a few years. G75VW fans are no longer sold by ASUS. New fans are still found on Amazon for less than $15 each. The laptop will have to be completely disassembled to replace the fans. Best left to technicians for best results.

4. How's the condition of the battery and/or the charging brick? The charging circuit on the motherboard have components that overtime, start to whine, high pitch noise. Batteries should be replaced every few years, charging bricks about the same. New batteries from Amazon cost about $50. Charging bricks cost $40 from Amazon.

5. Have you ever repasted the CPU and GPU heatsinks? Really helps with not over working the fans.

6. Is there a CD or DVD in the player/recorder? They will spin up every time the laptop is booted.

Please explain further what noise are you writing about.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

1. Has the laptop been upgraded to Windows 8, then 8.1, and then to 10? Yes, I use Windows 10 now on the G75VW.

2. Have you swapped out both the hard drives for SSDs? Hard drives have a spinning sound, SSDs are silent. Best performance improvement for this laptop. The first SSD has been replaced a few weeks ago. The normal HDD is still in the 2nd slots.

3. Have you cleaned out and/or replaced both fans lately? The fans need to be cleaned every couple months or so. The fans do wear out and require replacement after a few years. G75VW fans are no longer sold by ASUS. New fans are still found on Amazon for less than $15 each. The laptop will have to be completely disassembled to replace the fans. Best left to technicians for best results. I never replaced the fans, but I cleaned the dust.

4. How's the condition of the battery and/or the charging brick? The charging circuit on the motherboard have components that overtime, start to whine, high pitch noise. Batteries should be replaced every few years, charging bricks about the same. New batteries from Amazon cost about $50. Charging bricks cost $40 from Amazon. The battery does not work any longer. I need to connect the laptop directly to the power cable.

5. Have you ever repasted the CPU and GPU heatsinks? Really helps with not over working the fans. No. I have no idea how to do that.

6. Is there a CD or DVD in the player/recorder? They will spin up every time the laptop is booted. The DVD player I never use.

Maybe I can record the sound. I am not sure if it's the fan or the HDD:

The ASUS G75VW I have, bought in 2012, is still in very good working order. Both hard drives have been replaced with SSDs and the fans, cleaned and maintained every couple months. I have repasted my laptop about every three years. The battery was replaced for the second time last year along with the charging brick. The WiFi card was also upgraded to an Intel 7260. The laptop came with Windows 8 and has been upgraded to Windows 10. This laptop is a daily workhorse and I might add, silent as a mouse.

I suggest you take your laptop to a service center and have the following done:

1. Replace the remaining hard drive with a SSD (clone data from one to other).

2. Have the laptop repasted, while in there, have both fans looked over, cleaned, serviced, and maybe even replaced. If you use WiFi, replace the WiFi card.

3. Replace both the battery and the charging brick.

4. If there is any other strange noise coming from your laptop have the service center technician diagnose and repair.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server

Fetito
Level 7
Thank you! I have already replaced the SDD.

Now the laptop is so noisy and even vibrating that the mouse cursor started jumping on screen (probably it makes the table shake a little bit). The touchpad has been deactivated.

I have temporarily removed the 2nd HDD (Sata 2 or 3), but I was able to reproduce this step.

Before I give the laptop to a service center, is there a tool that could diagnose issues with the fan?

Thank you!

Fetito
Level 7

Those are the values when I run "Elder Scrolls Online" for testing purposes to start the noise.

You need more proof that noise and vibration is coming from your laptop?

Send that laptop in for some long overdue maintenance.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server