cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GS [Unlocked BIOS R&D] PLEASE support initiatives & join efforts!

McCoy
Level 8
Hey guys - i'm back in the game!

Owners of GL504GS, please join [REQUEST] GL504GS BIOS unlock

Ex-ASUS (RoG) employee shared the following information:

- ASUS don't hold any R&D for our product (GL504GS) - it's considered that ASUS decided to end GL504GS lifecycle
- ASUS enterprise culture focused on REVENUES, not CONSUMERS. Like, it seems it's a feature to spit in consumers face for any request, and the ACTUALLY like to do it.
- ASUS provide only generic driver & software updates, ASUS support hates us.

Local authorized service center employee shared the following information:
- We can send a laptop to ASUS ... but they will hold it for months, and bring you back, saying: "Everything is OK"
- He also shared that a lot of clients complain, HUGE!

So...
- Never-ever buy ASUS RoG Laptops, no more.
- Help me in unlocking BIOS

I will make donations to BIOS developers MYSELF, just please - take a part in this process, as i don't have much spare time.
6 REPLIES 6

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
That's how it works with every single laptop manufacturer, not only Asus.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with a modded bios?

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
That's how it works with every single laptop manufacturer, not only Asus.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with a modded bios?

I had 5-years old Alienware on GTX765M, - regularly receives updates. Replaced LCD after dead pixels started to rapidly appear, i didn't even expected that they are going to change - was ready to pay. They replaced LCD with replacement part with IPS and higher refresh rate; - only thing they said, that they will put refurbished part because laptop guarantee is done. Also provided new PSU cable for my country and replaced worn key-caps. It just a feeling that people cared.

I have Dell 7567, - friend told that just received the update that improve fan curve and CPU voltages.

I had HP Omen, - HP called me and said, that my laptop under call-back problem because of flaw in cooling system, and provided current generation replacement. They also paid for shipping to home country dealer, and accepted to set-up new RAM kit (which was in my GL504GS, G.Skill RipJaws 3000Mhz).

Still having Lenovo X1 Carbon (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) - SSD died, sent the new one. Battery inflated - changed the laptop. 2nd Gen - STILL PROVIDE DRIVER UPDATES FOR touch panel.

... msi! Smartest guys! Just decided to support community and help customers prolong lifecycle of their products (just look at MSI forum, even Russian forum contains more information than International rog.asus.com)

Not every single manufacturer of laptops work this way. No questions asked to ASUS considering RoG motherboard, GPUs.

Main features i want to enable during unlock is following:
- XMP profile and/or manual RAM setting (frequencies, timings, e.t.c.)
- Fan control
- Any CPU controls (voltages, multipliers, turbo boost)

I DO understand the limitations of chipsets, however everything except fancontrol seems feasible to achieve.

McCoy wrote:
I had 5-years old Alienware on GTX765M, - regularly receives updates. Replaced LCD after dead pixels started to rapidly appear, i didn't even expected that they are going to change - was ready to pay. They replaced LCD with replacement part with IPS and higher refresh rate; - only thing they said, that they will put refurbished part because laptop guarantee is done. Also provided new PSU cable for my country and replaced worn key-caps. It just a feeling that people cared.

I have Dell 7567, - friend told that just received the update that improve fan curve and CPU voltages.

I had HP Omen, - HP called me and said, that my laptop under call-back problem because of flaw in cooling system, and provided current generation replacement. They also paid for shipping to home country dealer, and accepted to set-up new RAM kit (which was in my GL504GS, G.Skill RipJaws 3000Mhz).

Still having Lenovo X1 Carbon (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) - SSD died, sent the new one. Battery inflated - changed the laptop. 2nd Gen - STILL PROVIDE DRIVER UPDATES FOR touch panel.

... msi! Smartest guys! Just decided to support community and help customers prolong lifecycle of their products (just look at MSI forum, even Russian forum contains more information than International rog.asus.com)

Not every single manufacturer of laptops work this way. No questions asked to ASUS considering RoG motherboard, GPUs.

Main features i want to enable during unlock is following:
- XMP profile and/or manual RAM setting (frequencies, timings, e.t.c.)
- Fan control
- Any CPU controls (voltages, multipliers, turbo boost)

I DO understand the limitations of chipsets, however everything except fancontrol seems feasible to achieve.

If you're having a problem with your hardware, RMA it and they will do something about it.
They are still pushing bios updates for older models and fixing issues like overheating. At least that's what I see people reporting. They pushed a bios update for my laptop a couple of months ago, and it's a discontinued model for quite some time now.

My old piece of crap Lenovo y510p gave me nothing but headaches since day one, and they never fixed a single issue of that model series. People used to mod the **** out of them so it could be at least usable. You can't even replace the WIFI card on that laptop. If you do, it won't boot up. You had to mod your bios to unlock it. Talk about ******* design. So yes, they're all the same. They're all focused on revenues. What a shocker.

You can have fan rpm control using rog gaming center or a third party app like notebookfancontrol.
Cpu multiplier is locked on the cpu itself, usually. So that's a no go.
You can tweak the voltage and turbo boost using throttlestop.
And I'm pretty sure the guys at bios-mods or win-raid can help you out with the XMP thing. Good luck.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
If you're having a problem with your hardware, RMA it and they will do something about it.
They are still pushing bios updates for older models and fixing issues like overheating. At least that's what I see people reporting. They pushed a bios update for my laptop a couple of months ago, and it's a discontinued model for quite some time now.

My old piece of crap Lenovo y510p gave me nothing but headaches since day one, and they never fixed a single issue of that model series. People used to mod the **** out of them so it could be at least usable. You can't even replace the WIFI card on that laptop. If you do, it won't boot up. You had to mod your bios to unlock it. Talk about ******* design. So yes, they're all the same. They're all focused on revenues. What a shocker.

You can have fan rpm control using rog gaming center or a third party app like notebookfancontrol.
Cpu multiplier is locked on the cpu itself, usually. So that's a no go.
You can tweak the voltage and turbo boost using throttlestop.
And I'm pretty sure the guys at bios-mods or win-raid can help you out with the XMP thing. Good luck.

Read my article about GL502VSK RMA for ASUS - 3 MONTHS!!! It faster for me to solve this by myself.

Notebookfancontrol is useless - it cannot read fan rpm or control it on gl504gs, and ASUS doesn't share relevant information how to enable them.

No, there is no manual control of fans in GL504GS, there is no Armour Crate (and there will no be support for this). RoG Gaming Center is super unstable, then it starts to:
- losing readings
- not starting
- not connecting to smartphone

So it's a joke to re-install Windows each time the RoG Gaming Center takes **** and die.

Same Y510P changed WiFi card to 9650 - no problem at all. Changed and it worked right after. But its'

McCoy wrote:
Read my article about GL502VSK RMA for ASUS - 3 MONTHS!!! It faster for me to solve this by myself.

Notebookfancontrol is useless - it cannot read fan rpm or control it on gl504gs, and ASUS doesn't share relevant information how to enable them.

No, there is no manual control of fans in GL504GS, there is no Armour Crate (and there will no be support for this). RoG Gaming Center is super unstable, then it starts to:
- losing readings
- not starting
- not connecting to smartphone

So it's a joke to re-install Windows each time the RoG Gaming Center takes **** and die.

Same Y510P changed WiFi card to 9650 - no problem at all. Changed and it worked right after. But its'

notebookfancontrol works just fine, you just have to create your own profile. There's a tutorial on their wiki. It's not rocket science. Worked for me but I don't use it anymore since it doesn't make any difference running the fans at full blast anyways. The stock fan curve is ideal on the gl502vsk.

Reinstall intel xtu and make sure the service is running properly if ROG gaming center starts acting up. No need to reinstall the whole thing, let alone reformat. If you only use it for the fan control, ignore the readings. They're just a gimmick anyways...

Then you probably have the only y510p on the planet that has no whitelist for the wifi card out of the box. Lucky you, because everyone else was *****ing and moaning about it back in the day, until someone came up with a modded bios which by the way, didn't worked for the SLI model (the one I have) because you would have to reflash the external gpu too, and there was no proper modded vbios for it. And that was only one of the many issues that series had. It was a piece of crap to say the least. And guess what, they never fixed it. I had to buy an USB wifi adapter to connect to my 5ghz router.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
notebookfancontrol works just fine, you just have to create your own profile. There's a tutorial on their wiki. It's not rocket science. Worked for me but I don't use it anymore since it doesn't make any difference running the fans at full blast anyways. The stock fan curve is ideal on the gl502vsk.

Reinstall intel xtu and make sure the service is running properly if ROG gaming center starts acting up. No need to reinstall the whole thing, let alone reformat. If you only use it for the fan control, ignore the readings. They're just a gimmick anyways...

Then you probably have the only y510p on the planet that has no whitelist for the wifi card out of the box. Lucky you, because everyone else was *****ing and moaning about it back in the day, until someone came up with a modded bios which by the way, didn't worked for the SLI model (the one I have) because you would have to reflash the external gpu too, and there was no proper modded vbios for it. And that was only one of the many issues that series had. It was a piece of crap to say the least. And guess what, they never fixed it. I had to buy an USB wifi adapter to connect to my 5ghz router.

Did, tried 50+ configs; - tried to derive from existing one. Best results - obtain fan readings from 1 fan.