cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Partition

georgiejr
Level 7
Hi ROG,

I am new to this gaming laptop GL-504GW with the RTX 2070. I was perusing the disk partition using disk management console and saw a recovery partition. I assume this is to restore the laptop to its factory defaults. If my assumption is correct how do you restore this laptop back to the factory defaults.

Thank you for helping this novice.
4 REPLIES 4

Khean
Level 10
georgiejr wrote:
Hi ROG,

I am new to this gaming laptop GL-504GW with the RTX 2070. I was perusing the disk partition using disk management console and saw a recovery partition. I assume this is to restore the laptop to its factory defaults. If my assumption is correct how do you restore this laptop back to the factory defaults.

Thank you for helping this novice.

You need to use Windows Recovery.

hope this video will help you.

Thanks Khean. However, at the 1:28 pt in the video it mentions something about the recovery key. How and where does one obtain the recovery key? I was researching google re: bitlocker key and went to my Microsoft account and no bitlocker key found for my laptop. Now, I'm confused with this Reset PC option.

georgiejr wrote:
Thanks Khean. However, at the 1:28 pt in the video it mentions something about the recovery key. How and where does one obtain the recovery key? I was researching google re: bitlocker key and went to my Microsoft account and no bitlocker key found for my laptop. Now, I'm confused with this Reset PC option.

Hi georgiejr,

The standard partitions that Windows creates for a modern UEFI system are:

Recovery, System-EFI, Reserved, Primary Partition-C:\, Recovery. The Recovery partitions do contain system files that you would need to restore the system to factory state. I am not sure if that last Recovery partition is always there. Also many OEMs create their own Recovery Partition, usually with drive letter D:/ that contains software originally installed with the laptop.

You can reach the Recovery menu from Settings>Update&Security>Recovery and select how clean a Recovery you want, keep or not keep installed software, etc.

You can also create a bootable USB drive with Recovery partitions and files on it that you can boot from to get to the Recovery menu items (e.g. restore computer to factory state, etc). To make the USB drive go to Control Panel>Recovery and it will put on the USB drive the same Recovery partition info found on your system drive.

The "Recovery Key" you describe does sound like a Bitlocker Key. Some people like to encrypt their entire boot drive to protect their data in case their laptop gets lost or stolen. Maybe you need that key during a factory reset procedure. Sounds like your drive is not encrypted? To check this, go to Control Panel and open Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You should see Operating System Drive C:/Bitlocker Off, if your drive is not encrypted. Which would mean you don't need a key.

Thank you very much for your reply R5Eandme