Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi BIOS 0803 - Fan control bug

    4 of the fan control zones only change speed at POST and ignore any temperature changes afterwards.

    The following fan control zones do not change speed after POST:
    CHA_FAN1
    CHA_FAN2
    CHA_FAN3
    HAMP_FAN

    The following are unaffected:
    CPU_FAN (Unable to change temperature source - does not apply)
    AIO_PUMP (Works as expected)
    W_PUMP+ (Works as expected)


    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Connect a temperature sensor to the W_OUT header on the motherboard (I used a coolant temperature fitting)
    2. Connect a PWM fan or pump to one of the affected fan headers
    3. Set the temperature source to water out temperature
    4. Set the fan control mode to PWM
    5. Set a manual fan curve (eg 40% @ 25C, 70% @ 30C, 100% @ 35C)
    6. Save and exit BIOS
    7. Any time after POST, hold the temperature sensor in your hand to increase the temperature.

    Expected result: Fan/Pump RPM changes according to the fan curve
    Actual result: Fan/Pump RPM does not change

    I have verified that the temperature sensor is being read correctly. (Both in BIOS and with HWINFO64 in windows)
    This same test works correctly with the W_PUMP+ and AIO_PUMP fan headers. I have also verified it occurs with a friend's PC using the same motherboard and BIOS version.

    System config:
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
    RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000C19 @ 3800C16
    GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi (BIOS 0803)
    PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W

    EDIT:
    Also affects BIOS 1001 beta
    Last edited by jedi95; 09-12-2019 at 06:28 PM.

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array Jackalito PC Specs
    Jackalito PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Chrosshair VIII Hero (X570)
    ProcessorRyzen 7 3700X
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4 G.SKILL TridentZ (2x8GB) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Pulse
    Sound CardRealtek ALC1220
    MonitorLG Ultrawide 34" 34UC79G-B [2560x1080] LED IPS Curved 144Hz FreeSync
    Storage #11 x SSD Samsung 960 EVO 500GB. M.2 NVMe PCIe
    Storage #21 x SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB. SATA3; 1 x HDD Toshiba X300 5TB. 7200 RPM SATA3
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
    Power SupplyCorsair RM850 Modular 850W 80 PLUS Gold
    Keyboard Logitech Gaming G513 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Headset Ozone Rage ST
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Stealth
    Headset/Speakers Z625 2.1 Speaker Set
    OS Windows 10 x64 PRO for Workstations x64 1903 (19H1)
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87U
    Accessory #1 UPS APC Back 1400VA
    Accessory #2 Fan Cases: 5x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 140mm PWM + 1x Corsair ML120 Pro 120mm PWM
    Jackalito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    24

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi95 View Post
    4 of the fan control zones only change speed at POST and ignore any temperature changes afterwards.

    The following fan control zones do not change speed after POST:
    CHA_FAN1
    CHA_FAN2
    CHA_FAN3
    HAMP_FAN

    The following are unaffected:
    CPU_FAN (Unable to change temperature source - does not apply)
    AIO_PUMP (Works as expected)
    W_PUMP+ (Works as expected)


    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Connect a temperature sensor to the W_OUT header on the motherboard (I used a coolant temperature fitting)
    2. Connect a PWM fan or pump to one of the affected fan headers
    3. Set the temperature source to water out temperature
    4. Set the fan control mode to PWM
    5. Set a manual fan curve (eg 40% @ 25C, 70% @ 30C, 100% @ 35C)
    6. Save and exit BIOS
    7. Any time after POST, hold the temperature sensor in your hand to increase the temperature.

    Expected result: Fan/Pump RPM changes according to the fan curve
    Actual result: Fan/Pump RPM does not change

    I have verified that the temperature sensor is being read correctly. (Both in BIOS and with HWINFO64 in windows)
    This same test works correctly with the W_PUMP+ and AIO_PUMP fan headers. I have also verified it occurs with a friend's PC using the same motherboard and BIOS version.

    System config:
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
    RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000C19 @ 3800C16
    GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi (BIOS 0803)
    PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W
    I've been experiencing similar issues. Here's hope that the new BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA will include some improvements in that regard.
    In space no one can hear you scream.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    I just updated to BIOS 1001 beta found here:
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...-ASUS-1001.zip

    This fan control issue is still present.

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array Jackalito PC Specs
    Jackalito PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Chrosshair VIII Hero (X570)
    ProcessorRyzen 7 3700X
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4 G.SKILL TridentZ (2x8GB) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Pulse
    Sound CardRealtek ALC1220
    MonitorLG Ultrawide 34" 34UC79G-B [2560x1080] LED IPS Curved 144Hz FreeSync
    Storage #11 x SSD Samsung 960 EVO 500GB. M.2 NVMe PCIe
    Storage #21 x SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB. SATA3; 1 x HDD Toshiba X300 5TB. 7200 RPM SATA3
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
    Power SupplyCorsair RM850 Modular 850W 80 PLUS Gold
    Keyboard Logitech Gaming G513 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Headset Ozone Rage ST
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Stealth
    Headset/Speakers Z625 2.1 Speaker Set
    OS Windows 10 x64 PRO for Workstations x64 1903 (19H1)
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87U
    Accessory #1 UPS APC Back 1400VA
    Accessory #2 Fan Cases: 5x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 140mm PWM + 1x Corsair ML120 Pro 120mm PWM
    Jackalito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    24

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi95 View Post
    I just updated to BIOS 1001 beta found here:
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...-ASUS-1001.zip

    This fan control issue is still present.
    Same thing on my system as well.
    In space no one can hear you scream.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalito View Post
    Same thing on my system as well.

    and this issue means that the fans remain on the same speed all the time even if the temperatures of the components increases?
    Does that affect system stability in any way?

    I am building a new system and am not sure if AMD deserves my money

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Matos_ View Post
    and this issue means that the fans remain on the same speed all the time even if the temperatures of the components increases?
    Does that affect system stability in any way?

    I am building a new system and am not sure if AMD deserves my money
    First of all, this is not an AMD problem. This is an ASUS problem.

    That said, yes. The fan speed will not increase after POST for the affected headers if configured in this way. I had my water loop hit 45 C when I was first testing the system, which is when I discovered the bug.

    For now I am using the AIO_PUMP header to control my fans and the W_PUMP+ header for my pump. These headers work correctly in BIOS 0803.

    The beta 1001 breaks selecting the W_OUT sensor as the control input. (using CPU instead) I consider anything using the CPU temp directly on Ryzen 3000 near useless because Tctl/Tdie is not representative of the total heat load, and it spikes a lot when overall load is low. I am using a modded 0803 with the new SMU until ASUS gets their act together.

  7. #7
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi95 View Post
    First of all, this is not an AMD problem. This is an ASUS problem.

    That said, yes. The fan speed will not increase after POST for the affected headers if configured in this way. I had my water loop hit 45 C when I was first testing the system, which is when I discovered the bug.

    For now I am using the AIO_PUMP header to control my fans and the W_PUMP+ header for my pump. These headers work correctly in BIOS 0803.

    The beta 1001 breaks selecting the W_OUT sensor as the control input. (using CPU instead) I consider anything using the CPU temp directly on Ryzen 3000 near useless because Tctl/Tdie is not representative of the total heat load, and it spikes a lot when overall load is low. I am using a modded 0803 with the new SMU until ASUS gets their act together.
    Hey, thanks for the reply!

    is this the "only" bug left on Asus motherboards or just one of many?

    Also I wanted to use air coolers for my setup....but if i do that everything will just overheat because the fans wont work properly? wooow. The motherboard costs 410 € in Europe. Thats just insane.

    I am very sorry for "hijacking" the debate...its just that buying a Asus VIII Hero + 3700x is a lot of money. I certanly wont buy something that is not completely stable for this huge amount of money.
    Last edited by Matos_; 09-17-2019 at 10:52 AM.

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Matos_ View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply!

    is this the "only" bug left on Asus motherboards or just one of many?

    I am very sorry for "hijacking" the debate...its just that buying a Asus VIII Hero + 3700x is a lot of money. I certanly wont buy something that is not completely stable for this huge amount of money.
    This is the only significant issue I have with the system at the moment. I am seeing the full 4400MHz boost clock with the modded 0803 BIOS. My system is fully stable using the functional fan headers as a workaround.

    This thread was meant as a bug report, nothing more. I fully expect this will be resolved before long. If you specifically need more than 2 fan headers capable of being controlled from temperature sensors other than the CPU, then you may want to consider a different motherboard for now.

  9. #9
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi95 View Post
    This is the only significant issue I have with the system at the moment. I am seeing the full 4400MHz boost clock with the modded 0803 BIOS. My system is fully stable using the functional fan headers as a workaround.

    This thread was meant as a bug report, nothing more. I fully expect this will be resolved before long. If you specifically need more than 2 fan headers capable of being controlled from temperature sensors other than the CPU, then you may want to consider a different motherboard for now.
    ok, thanks.

    Just needed some info before spending more than 400 euros on a motherboard.

    have a great day!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •