cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi BIOS 0803 - Fan control bug

jedi95
Level 7
4 of the fan control zones only change speed at POST and ignore any temperature changes afterwards.

The following fan control zones do not change speed after POST:
CHA_FAN1
CHA_FAN2
CHA_FAN3
HAMP_FAN

The following are unaffected:
CPU_FAN (Unable to change temperature source - does not apply)
AIO_PUMP (Works as expected)
W_PUMP+ (Works as expected)

Steps to reproduce:
1. Connect a temperature sensor to the W_OUT header on the motherboard (I used a coolant temperature fitting)
2. Connect a PWM fan or pump to one of the affected fan headers
3. Set the temperature source to water out temperature
4. Set the fan control mode to PWM
5. Set a manual fan curve (eg 40% @ 25C, 70% @ 30C, 100% @ 35C)
6. Save and exit BIOS
7. Any time after POST, hold the temperature sensor in your hand to increase the temperature.

Expected result: Fan/Pump RPM changes according to the fan curve
Actual result: Fan/Pump RPM does not change

I have verified that the temperature sensor is being read correctly. (Both in BIOS and with HWINFO64 in windows)
This same test works correctly with the W_PUMP+ and AIO_PUMP fan headers. I have also verified it occurs with a friend's PC using the same motherboard and BIOS version.

System config:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000C19 @ 3800C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi (BIOS 0803)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W

EDIT:
Also affects BIOS 1001 beta
16 REPLIES 16

Jackalito
Level 7
jedi95 wrote:
4 of the fan control zones only change speed at POST and ignore any temperature changes afterwards.

The following fan control zones do not change speed after POST:
CHA_FAN1
CHA_FAN2
CHA_FAN3
HAMP_FAN

The following are unaffected:
CPU_FAN (Unable to change temperature source - does not apply)
AIO_PUMP (Works as expected)
W_PUMP+ (Works as expected)

Steps to reproduce:
1. Connect a temperature sensor to the W_OUT header on the motherboard (I used a coolant temperature fitting)
2. Connect a PWM fan or pump to one of the affected fan headers
3. Set the temperature source to water out temperature
4. Set the fan control mode to PWM
5. Set a manual fan curve (eg 40% @ 25C, 70% @ 30C, 100% @ 35C)
6. Save and exit BIOS
7. Any time after POST, hold the temperature sensor in your hand to increase the temperature.

Expected result: Fan/Pump RPM changes according to the fan curve
Actual result: Fan/Pump RPM does not change

I have verified that the temperature sensor is being read correctly. (Both in BIOS and with HWINFO64 in windows)
This same test works correctly with the W_PUMP+ and AIO_PUMP fan headers. I have also verified it occurs with a friend's PC using the same motherboard and BIOS version.

System config:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000C19 @ 3800C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi (BIOS 0803)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W

I've been experiencing similar issues. Here's hope that the new BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA will include some improvements in that regard.
In space no one can hear you scream.

I just updated to BIOS 1001 beta found here:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_HERO_WI-FI/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HER...

This fan control issue is still present.

jedi95 wrote:
I just updated to BIOS 1001 beta found here:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_HERO_WI-FI/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HER...

This fan control issue is still present.

Same thing on my system as well.
In space no one can hear you scream.

Jackalito wrote:
Same thing on my system as well.

and this issue means that the fans remain on the same speed all the time even if the temperatures of the components increases?
Does that affect system stability in any way?

I am building a new system and am not sure if AMD deserves my money 😄

Matos_ wrote:
and this issue means that the fans remain on the same speed all the time even if the temperatures of the components increases?
Does that affect system stability in any way?

I am building a new system and am not sure if AMD deserves my money 😄

First of all, this is not an AMD problem. This is an ASUS problem.

That said, yes. The fan speed will not increase after POST for the affected headers if configured in this way. I had my water loop hit 45 C when I was first testing the system, which is when I discovered the bug.

For now I am using the AIO_PUMP header to control my fans and the W_PUMP+ header for my pump. These headers work correctly in BIOS 0803.

The beta 1001 breaks selecting the W_OUT sensor as the control input. (using CPU instead) I consider anything using the CPU temp directly on Ryzen 3000 near useless because Tctl/Tdie is not representative of the total heat load, and it spikes a lot when overall load is low. I am using a modded 0803 with the new SMU until ASUS gets their act together.

jedi95 wrote:
First of all, this is not an AMD problem. This is an ASUS problem.

That said, yes. The fan speed will not increase after POST for the affected headers if configured in this way. I had my water loop hit 45 C when I was first testing the system, which is when I discovered the bug.

For now I am using the AIO_PUMP header to control my fans and the W_PUMP+ header for my pump. These headers work correctly in BIOS 0803.

The beta 1001 breaks selecting the W_OUT sensor as the control input. (using CPU instead) I consider anything using the CPU temp directly on Ryzen 3000 near useless because Tctl/Tdie is not representative of the total heat load, and it spikes a lot when overall load is low. I am using a modded 0803 with the new SMU until ASUS gets their act together.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

is this the "only" bug left on Asus motherboards or just one of many?

Also I wanted to use air coolers for my setup....but if i do that everything will just overheat because the fans wont work properly? wooow. The motherboard costs 410 € in Europe. Thats just insane.

I am very sorry for "hijacking" the debate...its just that buying a Asus VIII Hero + 3700x is a lot of money. I certanly wont buy something that is not completely stable for this huge amount of money.

Matos_ wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply!

is this the "only" bug left on Asus motherboards or just one of many?

I am very sorry for "hijacking" the debate...its just that buying a Asus VIII Hero + 3700x is a lot of money. I certanly wont buy something that is not completely stable for this huge amount of money.

This is the only significant issue I have with the system at the moment. I am seeing the full 4400MHz boost clock with the modded 0803 BIOS. My system is fully stable using the functional fan headers as a workaround.

This thread was meant as a bug report, nothing more. I fully expect this will be resolved before long. If you specifically need more than 2 fan headers capable of being controlled from temperature sensors other than the CPU, then you may want to consider a different motherboard for now.

jedi95 wrote:
This is the only significant issue I have with the system at the moment. I am seeing the full 4400MHz boost clock with the modded 0803 BIOS. My system is fully stable using the functional fan headers as a workaround.

This thread was meant as a bug report, nothing more. I fully expect this will be resolved before long. If you specifically need more than 2 fan headers capable of being controlled from temperature sensors other than the CPU, then you may want to consider a different motherboard for now.

ok, thanks.

Just needed some info before spending more than 400 euros on a motherboard.

have a great day!

jedi95
Level 7
This bug is still present in BIOS 1105. The behavior is now slightly different. The fans appear to work correctly in the BIOS, but once booted into windows the fan speeds stop responding to temperature. Previously the fans did not respond to temperature changes while in the BIOS either.