cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i9-9900K on Maximus X Hero (Overheating / Voltage Issue)

Shadowdane
Level 9
I can't figure this out.. it seems the Maximus X Hero is completely ignoring the stock default Intel voltages. I got a i9-9900K a bit over a month ago upgraded from a i7-8700K and it's been a bit unstable even when trying to do 4.8Ghz on all cores, which seems like it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Decided to reset everything to completely stock "Auto Settings" with the Asus MCE turned off. Run on stock intel speeds/voltages and with memory at DDR4-2666 speeds to stay in the Intel spec.

I noticed immediately when my desktop loaded my CPU fans ramp up to full speed and opened HWMonitor & Cpuz. They both show CPU is pulling ~1.46-1.48v and it immediately hits 100C!! What the H**L ASUS!! I can't believe for a damn minute the stock Intel spec would pull 1.48v for bone stock settings.

Motherboard is a Maximus X Hero Wifi AC is on the latest BIOS with version 2102. I know it's a Z370 board but Asus says it's a supported CPU on this BIOS.

What do I need to set in the BIOS to actually get this to run at the "stock" settings and have a stable CPU that runs at the proper voltages. I basically want test the CPU at stock and see if it's stable at the stock speed/voltage. If that isn't the case I'm going to RMA this with Intel! But as far as I can figure this Asus board seems to ignore the voltage settings for Turbo Boost or something??! At least a NZXT X62 should be plenty fine to cool this chip at stock or overclocked and I'm certain it doesn't need 1.45v for stock clockspeeds!
5 REPLIES 5

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Hi,

first set your RAM manually using the RAMS specs. Look at its package. The values to be set are on it. (Something like 17/19/39 or 17/19/19/39)
Even set the RAM manually to 1.35 volt
Don' use XMP since it will change more in the background that will produce heat (VCCIO - see below)

SAVE your Bios !

It does not make any sense to run RAM at JEDEC standard speeds of 26xx to configure the CPU afterwards.
(Since the RAM controller is ON the CPU Chip itself and should run at its normal performance and heat output)

If you want to use auto vcore set the following to curb the boards enthusiasm:

AC and DC loadline: 0.01
Svid Szenario to : Best
AVX loadline -2 (-3 if overclocked)
Try again.

...If not done already in HWinfo:

watch vcore for actual current flowing

watch VID for what the backed in Chip powertable thinks it needs - That would be the stock vcore value
(vs vcore which is what the board dishes out)

If not happy:

Take your 8700k vcore and apply it as a starting point for manual vcore testing. (9900ks like around the same , maybe little more) 1.27-.137 for 5ghrz
Start with 1.06 / 1.1/ 1.2 for running without overlocks.
LLC6
SVID disabled
AVX Loadline -3
Manual vcore will be lower and does not produce high spikes like auto or adaptive. Idle runs hotter though against adaptive (3-6c)
VCCIO + System Agent run rich on auto and produce more heat than needed most of the time.
Run VCCIO at 1.2
System agent on 1.175
A bit higher if you have 32Gb of RAM (1.225 and 1.2 as a starting point)
Auto will use like 1.3 ish. Check them out in Bios or HWinfo. A Standard Config may accept even lower values.

Some VID tables for 9900k at 5Ghz reach up to 1.3X for some chips.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
oh damn. I do not like how this forum double posts if there is a hickup in the connection.

I had same problem with cheap z390-h board and 9900k, stock settings and it was on fire, boosted to 1.4-1.5 volts and 100c with corsair 150i. I returned it and wait for next cpu or just try later when there are more updates. One fix was that I just underclocked it to 45-47 to all cores, then it was reasonable but it just wasn't what I payed for. Went back to my x99 gaming and golden 5820k 😄 even just yoloing it to 4.5ghz with auto voltages (1.27ors)@max70C* works but I have small problem. Bios/overclock settings resetting when returning from sleep and sleep is a must, even with 100hz overclock. Will do new thread when I get my permission 😄

At a moment I think these overclock/chip reviews are misleading or just intel confidential chips were better.

miguelos
Level 7
Shadowdane wrote:
I can't figure this out.. it seems the Maximus X Hero is completely ignoring the stock default Intel voltages. I got a i9-9900K a bit over a month ago upgraded from a i7-8700K and it's been a bit unstable even when trying to do 4.8Ghz on all cores, which seems like it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Decided to reset everything to completely stock "Auto Settings" with the Asus MCE turned off. Run on stock intel speeds/voltages and with memory at DDR4-2666 speeds to stay in the Intel spec.

I noticed immediately when my desktop loaded my CPU fans ramp up to full speed and opened HWMonitor & Cpuz. They both show CPU is pulling ~1.46-1.48v and it immediately hits 100C!! What the H**L ASUS!! I can't believe for a damn minute the stock Intel spec would pull 1.48v for bone stock settings.

Motherboard is a Maximus X Hero Wifi AC is on the latest BIOS with version 2102. I know it's a Z370 board but Asus says it's a supported CPU on this BIOS.

What do I need to set in the BIOS to actually get this to run at the "stock" settings and have a stable CPU that runs at the proper voltages. I basically want test the CPU at stock and see if it's stable at the stock speed/voltage. If that isn't the case I'm going to RMA this with Intel! But as far as I can figure this Asus board seems to ignore the voltage settings for Turbo Boost or something??! At least a NZXT X62 should be plenty fine to cool this chip at stock or overclocked and I'm certain it doesn't need 1.45v for stock clockspeeds!

HI

You mentioned fans ramp up when logged in to desktop maybe is software related other than the bios are you using asus fan software? the voltage is certainly high, I would update the bios. I have the maximus x hero with 9900k also but never had any issues. DID U LOAD DEFAULT BIOS SETTINGS?

REGARDS
PEDRO

Col_Frost
Level 7
Shadowdane wrote:

I have a different mobo but I thought I'd share my experience.
I have a i9900KS direct die mounted with liquid metal in a custom water loop on an Asus Gene XI mobo.
I did a nice overclock to 5.3 GHz with memory @ 3773MHz, but my idle temps were hovering around 50 degrees.
I managed to reduce this to 28 degrees at idle without any changes in the BIOS.
I simply disabled all background apps, and disabled/ uninstalled a few unnecessary programs.
It really was that simple and I'm now getting a Cinebench R20 score as per the image below