Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Thumbs up G531gw buyer beware!

    Hello everyone, First and foremost I would like to introduce myself.

    My names Blake.

    I have been an avid Asus customer since early 2000.

    I recently bought an Asus G531GW laptop and am very disappointed for a numerous amount of reasons.

    The first thing I would like to bring up is the CPU in my laptop was not intels most desirable CPU. First I was hearing this electronic buzzing when it was quiet in the room I couldn't figure out what it was and after days of googling the issue I had finally come across a thread here in the forums that was in depth about how to tweak the CPU by turning the C1E state off with throttlestep. It helped the electronic buzzing sound immensely but its still slightly there. I could get over that but then I noticed It has terrible thermal problems. Of course I didn't know this when I made the purchase. My cpu gets pretty hott while gaming upper 85-90c I have a massive cooling mat that reduced the temperature somewhat but over all still feel like its running way to hott. Ive read in multiple places about undervolting the cpu to deal with the heat problem but my thing is if I spent 1800 dollars on a laptop why should I have to deal with things like that? Also ive noticed that asus has pushed a bios out 305 but yet the website still has no information on what was fixed or what it does. I believe if you released a bios you should let the consumer know what it did. Especially since myasus client streamlines the update. Ive also noticed the soundcard on the laptop pops and distorts while gaming occasionally. Also something worth mentioning during gaming it will be running buttery smooth but then out of nowhere the FPS plummet. This has been happening while playing classic wow and a few other games. Ive always bought asus products love all the desktop stuff ive purchased but this laptop has left me feeling shorthanded.


    Another thing I also wonder about is the asus softwares silent/performance/turbo modes

    Whenever I use silent the cpu stays cooler then when I use performance or turbo. When I use performance the cpu will thermal throttle itself and we wont even go into turbo mode.

    I noticed in the refresh of the G531GW they are putting the new cpus in them now which makes me wonder if they realized the last cpus used was a mistake.

    If you are on the fence about buying this laptop I would highly recommend you wait until they figure all of this out.
    Last edited by Galvanized; 09-07-2019 at 08:54 PM.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,108

    Quote Originally Posted by Galvanized View Post
    Hello everyone, First and foremost I would like to introduce myself.

    My names Blake.

    I have been an avid Asus customer since early 2000.

    I recently bought an Asus G531GW laptop and am very disappointed for a numerous amount of reasons.

    The first thing I would like to bring up is the CPU in my laptop was not intels most desirable CPU. First I was hearing this electronic buzzing when it was quiet in the room I couldn't figure out what it was and after days of googling the issue I had finally come across a thread here in the forums that was in depth about how to tweak the CPU by turning the C1E state off with throttlestep. It helped the electronic buzzing sound immensely but its still slightly there. I could get over that but then I noticed It has terrible thermal problems. Of course I didn't know this when I made the purchase. My cpu gets pretty hott while gaming upper 85-90c I have a massive cooling mat that reduced the temperature somewhat but over all still feel like its running way to hott. Ive read in multiple places about undervolting the cpu to deal with the heat problem but my thing is if I spent 1800 dollars on a laptop why should I have to deal with things like that? Also ive noticed that asus has pushed a bios out 305 but yet the website still has no information on what was fixed or what it does. I believe if you released a bios you should let the consumer know what it did. Especially since myasus client streamlines the update. Ive also noticed the soundcard on the laptop pops and distorts while gaming occasionally. Also something worth mentioning during gaming it will be running buttery smooth but then out of nowhere the FPS plummet. This has been happening while playing classic wow and a few other games. Ive always bought asus products love all the desktop stuff ive purchased but this laptop has left me feeling shorthanded.


    Another thing I also wonder about is the asus softwares silent/performance/turbo modes

    Whenever I use silent the cpu stays cooler then when I use performance or turbo. When I use performance the cpu will thermal throttle itself and we wont even go into turbo mode.

    I noticed in the refresh of the G531GW they are putting the new cpus in them now which makes me wonder if they realized the last cpus used was a mistake.

    If you are on the fence about buying this laptop I would highly recommend you wait until they figure all of this out.
    Seems you had all these issues from the start you should have returned to the seller for replacement or refund, most have a 30 grace period
    Failing that how has support and Repair worked for you you don't mention having worked with them?

    I haven't seen many post about these issues with these units on here?
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Although I appreciate the time you took to type that outside from the obvious it really didn't give much insight on any of the issue's mentioned.

    I didn't recognize them right out of the gate. Micro center offers a 14 day return policy on laptops purchased from their store. I have not yet reached out to Asus support yet.

    You can read more about the so called :coil whine" here

    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...from-my-laptop

    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ge4#post749830

    If you want to see the threads about the cpu temperatures just google "i7-9750h" temperatures safe

    With that said I was reaching out to the forum community here to see if maybe there was any help or possibly someone with the same laptop that could offer me some reassurance this was normal.

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    1

    I have also had a serious problem with this laptop;

    A few days ago, Asus Live Update informed me my Keyboard needed new Firmware, which it had downloaded, and asked if I wanted to install it.

    I said yes.

    After the install, the the keyboard lights didn't work anymore, and the laptop keyboard also stopped working.

    I have no idea how to roll back the keyboard firmware. I have logged I think three tickets with Asus, with no reply, in the past few days. Then, frustrated, I called their Service line, and was told to take it to an agent (who is a really long way away from me) and they will send it away to be repaired. This might take 14 days.

    How does anyone think this is good customer service?

    Their update remotely broke my laptop. The only way to fix it is take half a day off work, drop my laptop to a company a LONG way away. Then go without a laptop for 14 days. Then take another half day off work.

    They remotely broke it. Why can't they remotely fix it? Or point me to the Firmware, and some instructions for rollback?

    Unhappy Asus Customer

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    1

    temps

    i bought this laptop in past few weeks, and i dont really have any issue except temps, i replaced stock thermal paste to thermal grizzly kryonaut and undervolted -0.155, temps still reach 95c+ on shadow of the tomb raider. idk what else i can do now.. :/

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by barell4 View Post
    i bought this laptop in past few weeks, and i dont really have any issue except temps, i replaced stock thermal paste to thermal grizzly kryonaut and undervolted -0.155, temps still reach 95c+ on shadow of the tomb raider. idk what else i can do now.. :/
    This is exactly the reason why I have felt the way I have. Why do you have to undervolt the cpu to reduce temperatures? Also why does ASUS a gaming geared company not apply good thermal paste? I don't want to have to crack my laptop open and do all of this because they put a bad CPU in our machines. I am assuming the laptops CPU runs this hott because intel had to answer to AMD's lineup so they released a cpu that had high thermals to compete. Either way im sorry to hear you are expierincing similar issues. Does you cpu make an electronic scratching noise as well? (when plugged into the wall)

  7. #7
    TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade
    xeromist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Reputation
    300
    Posts
    7,440

    Intel believes that is an acceptable temperature, hence where the thermal throttle point is. I don't think it's reason to be concerned.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

    < < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Intel believes that is an acceptable temperature, hence where the thermal throttle point is. I don't think it's reason to be concerned.
    Do you think its acceptable? The thought of the chip burning me or cooking an egg seems to make me uncomfortable! I thought the hotter the chip the faster it degrades?!? Maybe things have changed or I am old school but I like my components running somewhat cool being at threshold seems very unsettling.

  9. #9
    TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade
    xeromist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Reputation
    300
    Posts
    7,440

    Quote Originally Posted by Galvanized View Post
    Do you think its acceptable? The thought of the chip burning me or cooking an egg seems to make me uncomfortable! I thought the hotter the chip the faster it degrades?!? Maybe things have changed or I am old school but I like my components running somewhat cool being at threshold seems very unsettling.
    It depends. If I had a laptop that was getting hot and performing badly then I would investigate issues with the cooling system. If it's getting hot because it's tuning itself to the limit of (fully functional) cooling then that is different. Laptop cooling is always a limiting factor so if I have a choice between a cooler CPU and a faster CPU, I choose faster.

    As for degradation, yes it may shorten the life by some amount. However, voltage is far more dangerous than heat. Electronics already outlive their useful performance life by a large margin so it's debatable whether any of this even matters.

    Also, to expand on the above concepts: If there are two brands selling the same hardware in the same form factor then I would use that as a basis for comparison. If one brand is slightly slower but runs cooler and hence quieter then I would probably consider that trade off. If all else is equal but one is cooler then sure I'd consider the cooler one. I haven't compared other machines with the same specs so I don't know how the G531 stacks up to the competition.
    Last edited by xeromist; 09-20-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

    < < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Reputation
    29
    Posts
    11

    Quote Originally Posted by barell4 View Post
    i bought this laptop in past few weeks, and i dont really have any issue except temps, i replaced stock thermal paste to thermal grizzly kryonaut and undervolted -0.155, temps still reach 95c+ on shadow of the tomb raider. idk what else i can do now.. :/
    Well first of all, congrats on your CPU! I can't even undervolt 80mV...
    Anyways, I have had similar heat concerns until I realized that this laptop has 2 big shared heat pipes with GPU. Basically you need to put some heat on GPU for GPU fan to help cool the CPU properly. Also, running games in Turbo mode helps alot. I know, how can giving more power to CPU help with cooling but it does somehow... @.@. I was seeing 95+ degrees running Gears 5 on Balanced/Performance mode but when I switched to Turbo and uncapped FPS to put more load on GPU, cooling system brought CPU temps down to mid 80 degrees or lower. Go figure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •