cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gene XI - DIMM.2 Question

sexpot
Level 7
Hello,

I intended to use an m.2 2280 ssd in the onboard m.2_1 slot to avoid cutting the PCIe 16x speed to 8x.

My question is, will the DIMM.2 slot cut the PCIe 16x if the riser is installed without any m.2 drives? I want to use the DIMM.2 riser with the Apex X fan brackets to cool the memory dimms with 50mm fans.

Will the riser automatically trigger the PCIe to half speed? Or is it only when there's an m.2 drive populated in the riser?
5 REPLIES 5

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Your manual sais nothing about lanes going to be cut when you insert an m.2, That board (micro atx?) is way to small and void of connections to even remotely have that possible proble. You shouldn't need to use the dimm.2 slot or any riser card.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Well Sir,

simply try it out.
IF it does cut the lanes simply sand down the DIMM.2 connections.

Rgds
Carlyle

Ch3vr0n wrote:
Your manual sais nothing about lanes going to be cut when you insert an m.2, That board (micro atx?) is way to small and void of connections to even remotely have that possible proble. You shouldn't need to use the dimm.2 slot or any riser card.

You totally missed the point of my post.

Carlyle2020 wrote:
Well Sir,

simply try it out.
IF it does cut the lanes simply sand down the DIMM.2 connections.

Rgds
Carlyle

I would, but don't have the board yet. I'm waiting to build next month when the 9900KS arrives. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before purchasing the board. I can still change the to Apex XI. I would rather not mod the riser card if not necessary.

iBruceypoo
Level 16
Sounds like someone is planning on grabbing a Gene 11 from Bleepbox UK, or has made other special curious arrangements. lol

I couldn't fly without a North American 3year warranty, but dats yust me. : )

The Gene XI is a sweet looking board though. Gskill QVL's the F4-4600C18D-16GTRS kit to XMP with the Gene XI, but not a guarantee of course. Depends on your 9900Ks IMC. 😛

I have the 4600 kit and its sweet as honey, XMPs as advertised, and clocks to 4900Mhz just for kicks.

My FAV Daily profile is 4400Mhz 17-17-17-34, but then I only know primary timings, and Sexpotbro knows his memory overclocking way down into the 2nd subs and 3rd subs. So can expect so much more than little ol me. 😉
Z790 Epiphenomenal Raptor Bench

ROG Z790 Apex / Intel 13900KS SP111 P121 E93 MC83
Gskill 8000 kit - TM5 stable at 8200MT/s 38 48 48 121 VDD and VDDQ 1.5v
WD_Black SN850X 1TB 7300MB/s Reads 6300MB/s Writes
LG 32in 4K IPS 32UP83A-W

sexpot
Level 7
I'll probably end up getting it from Amazon.ca. There's a listing there from MemoryC which is cheaper than Bleepbox. We'll see what I can end up getting stable for memory OC, it should pair well with my 4400C19 kit. 😄