Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI No Boot or POST

ronkastner33
Level 7
Specs:

AMD 1700x
G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz 16GB
EK Supremacy EVO Waterblock (I am aware of the pressure issues regarding this heatsink)
Nvidia GTX 980Ti
EVGA 1000 P2

I am unable to get the motherboard to boot at all, and am unable to POST to get into the BIOS. I do not see any lighting effects other than the green CPU-READY light when the PSU is switched on as well an no Q-codes appearing. The start and safe-boot buttons do not initialize anything. I have reseated the CPU, RAM sticks, and GPU in multiple configurations. I have ensured that the 24 pin and i pin PSU cables are connected. I have also tried to clear CMOS both by the back panel button as well as removing the CMOS battery and unplugging the power cord and let sit overnight to discharge. I replaced the the battery with a new one and the same symptoms still persist. I believe the latest BIOS version is 1701.
6 REPLIES 6

mvmiller12
Level 9
ronkastner33 wrote:
Specs:

AMD 1700x
G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz 16GB
EK Supremacy EVO Waterblock (I am aware of the pressure issues regarding this heatsink)
Nvidia GTX 980Ti
EVGA 1000 P2

I am unable to get the motherboard to boot at all, and am unable to POST to get into the BIOS. I do not see any lighting effects other than the green CPU-READY light when the PSU is switched on as well an no Q-codes appearing. The start and safe-boot buttons do not initialize anything. I have reseated the CPU, RAM sticks, and GPU in multiple configurations. I have ensured that the 24 pin and i pin PSU cables are connected. I have also tried to clear CMOS both by the back panel button as well as removing the CMOS battery and unplugging the power cord and let sit overnight to discharge. I replaced the the battery with a new one and the same symptoms still persist. I believe the latest BIOS version is 1701.

Only asking because your post does not specifically say: Do you have the 8-pin CPU power plug connected from your power supply? Connecting the 4-pin one is optional, but the 8-pin one is absolutely required. And if you ARE using the 8-pin power connector, make sure you have not accidentally plugged a PCIe 8-pin into it (I had a guy manage to do that once, strange since it isn't supposed to fit and yet he managed it - it didn't actually damage anything, thankfully, but it didn't work either)

@mvmiller12, yes I have the 8-pin CPU power plug connected. I also made sure to verify and re-connect the power cables both at their respective motherboard and psu connections.

I had the same problem, the culprit was the PSU. I tried using another PSU and everything was right.

andyliu
Level 9
well, since you have the EK's block
try to trim the wing on the gasket or duct tape it.
the gasket can be conductive and can cause issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/6386gk/psa_update_on_the_ekwb_water_block_gasket_ryze...

you can also loose the knobs a bit to see if you can boot.

@Legate, I hooked up the motherboard to another spare PSU and no changes.

@andyliu, I ended up trying what was suggested in the reddit post by clipping the rubber gasket edges as well as loosened the screws holding the waterblock down and unfortunately did not do anything.

ronkastner33 wrote:
@Legate, I hooked up the motherboard to another spare PSU and no changes.

@andyliu, I ended up trying what was suggested in the reddit post by clipping the rubber gasket edges as well as loosened the screws holding the waterblock down and unfortunately did not do anything.

that's unfortunate.
I had recently upgrade the cooling to ek's and that's how I solved the issue I had with motherboard light up (RGB n whatever lights) but wont boot.
I knew there was a short somewhere because I never had issue before with AIO. All I replaced was the cooling.
I did try the pressure thing by removing the center piece, but I still experience the non-boot.
back and forth with ek support, not that helpful either. Google was ultimately helped me lolz.
I duct taping the gasket and solve the issue.

is your system new build? If so, I will try to completely remove the EK waterblock first and just put the included box cooler on the cpu to test if it boots.
dont really need to lock anything in, just for a quick test.

if it boots, maybe try the waterblock again, only this time, dont screw it too tie.
What I do is to lightly holding the knobs and screw those knobs in. I turn the knobs while holding them lighting with just 2 fingers.
I stop as soon as I can't turn them without holding the knobs firmly.

if it still not boot, I would go as far as pulling the board out and just leave it on the cardboard box to test if it will boot.
Normally, I would have done it first to make sure everything boots up before I install though.

I would also inspect the pin on cpu to see if there is any bent pin, if you have recently done any change or new install the CPU