Threaded View

New ROGer Array

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero & Intel Core i7-9700K - AI Optimized Overclocking & BSOD

I put together this build using the Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero and the Intel Core i7-9700K in May, and used AI Overclocking then to run the system at 5.2 GHz. I have a Kraken X72 on the system, so I figured this was fine. A few months later, it started freezing at that level, so I lowered it to 5.1 GHz and all was fine.

A couple of days ago, my computer sudden froze again, except this time, unless I run it at a very low speed (4.6 only crashes sometimes), the system will freeze, then BSOD and throw up either a Machine Check Exception or a Clock Watchdog Timeout. And that's only if I have AI Overclocking turned off entirely; if I turn it on, sometimes it won't even show the BIOS and sometimes it'll try to load Windows, only to BSOD partway through load. I definitely wouldn't be happy about having to replace the processor if it got burned out, but what confuses me is at max load, my temps never went over 70C...

Is it possible I might have burned out the motherboard, rather than the CPU?