cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading G20CI storage to M.2 NVMe (with update)

iggi3z
Level 7
Hi guys,

Currently installed in my G20CI is a M.2 SATA3 drive.

I was wondering if the motherboard socket supports M.2 NVMe drives like the (Adata SX8200 pro / Samsung Evo Plus/Pro).
Will the motherboard allow NVMe booting?

Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

iggi3z
Level 7
sorry i forgot to add to the above question. Am i only limited to 256gb or can i upgrade to a 1TB nvme.m2 ssd? TIA

xeromist
Capacity won't matter. Go bigger if you like.

As for the compatibility, I don't know if the manual documents this so check the motherboard slot. Most NVMe SSDs will be M Key *only*. So the slot on the motherboard should NOT have a hard bit of plastic in the B key location. If it does you will not be able to insert an M key only device. Also, often there will be printing next to the slot on the motherboard indicating if it is PCI/SATA and the link speed.

This image is from Dell but it illustrates the point that a keyed slot will only accept certain devices.

https://kbimg.dell.com/library/KB/DELL_ORGANIZATIONAL_GROUPS/DELL_GLOBAL/Content%20Team/M2%20slot%20...
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Capacity won't matter. Go bigger if you like.

As for the compatibility, I don't know if the manual documents this so check the motherboard slot. Most NVMe SSDs will be M Key *only*. So the slot on the motherboard should NOT have a hard bit of plastic in the B key location. If it does you will not be able to insert an M key only device. Also, often there will be printing next to the slot on the motherboard indicating if it is PCI/SATA and the link speed.

This image is from Dell but it illustrates the point that a keyed slot will only accept certain devices.

https://kbimg.dell.com/library/KB/DELL_ORGANIZATIONAL_GROUPS/DELL_GLOBAL/Content%20Team/M2%20slot%20...

Thank you!
I have successfully installed an ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe without any issues.
Booting up is blazing fast compared to the M.2 SATA the G20CI came with. Its good to know the m.2 slot is both supports PCI NVMe and SATA

Didn't try going any higher capacity as did not need it.
I did reuse the pink thermal pad on the original M.2 SATA.

Thanks!

How did you manage to boot up after installing nvme? Did you change anything on bios or clean install windows?

I have problem with nvme. After I install the drive pc had bluescreen at loading windows(from sata ssd drive). 
Below my m.2 configuration.
IMG_8274.jpg