cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to build my next system, need memory advice.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Have already purchased a Rog Maximus XI Formula MB, and a Geforce RTX 2080 Super video card, I will be buying an Intel I9 9900K, 2 M.2 sticks, Custom Water cooler, and a ultrawide 34inch+ 144hz+ monitor. I plan to use same case, power supply, etc I am using now to complete the build. My primary use will be for gaming; X-Plane 11 and occasionally I-Racing etc. I have a separate system for everything else.

Question is memory. There are way to many QVL choices out there for me to make a decision on any specific mfg or model, I will be OC'ing the 9900K to at least 5GHz maybe 5.2. I plan on 32GB of memory and think I need at least 3200 or higher. I do not want to break the bank on memory but don't want to skimp either. I welcome any and all recommendations or concerns regarding specific memory.

Thanks
Rick S.
9 REPLIES 9

Khean
Level 10
3200mhz is the sweet spot you can go higher but not less than that. Linus made a video comparing ram speed from 3000mhz-4000mhz.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Thanks Khean, yes, I saw that but there are some real sharp people on here that may have a different take.

Nate152
Hey Rick !

Do you want RGB ram ?

G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 2x16GB cl16 RGB (on sale)

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232748?Description=trident%20z%203...

This ram has Samsung B-Die chips and should overclock very well.

Faster ram helps with Minimum Frames Per Second.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Not really looking for any bling Nate.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Thanks Nate, would you recommend the 2x16 over the 4x8 or is it just a user preference thing?

Nate152
The 2x16GB kit will likely overclock further than the 4x8GB kit as two sticks puts less strain on the cpu's IMC.

If you won't be overclocking them past 3200MHz you can go with either or.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Got it, thanks Nate.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Just realized I had mis-typed the new build chip as a I7 9900K and changed it to a I9 9900K.