New ROGer Array

Shop won't accept RMA of 2080ti with insane coil whine

Hi!

Recently i had to RMA my first 2080ti strix advanced i bought half a year ago due to some heating issues in it.
    They sent me a replacement card which seemed to work fine at first however...

I fire up some games and instantly i start to hear THIS noise come from it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-G...ETE2foeh1lrwkp
    Yes it's as bad as it sounds, i recorded it about 30Cm from my GPU with my phone.
    The noise wouldn't go away no matter how much i fiddled with the settings in several games. It was soundless at first during desktop browsing but after i shut down the 3rd game the noise started to persist even on the desktop. It wasn't as loud but still VERY much audible.

I decided to RMA this one aswell but the shop says they won't send me a replacement and basically telling me "Oh well that's normal for GPUs, screw you and your gaming experience with this ear destroying screech"...

My question is: Would asus accept this for RMA if i sent it directly to them? How could anyone enjoy any game when the GPU makes an ear bleeding noise that can be heard from the other room and even when i have my headphones on which isolate sound very well. (Logitech g933)

I live in Finland and i bought it from a very well known and i'd say generally well trusted component/hardware sites.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I don't know how ASUS handles coil whine in Finland but it can't hurt to ask. Call up support and see what they say.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

Are you using a separate cable for each 8 pin connector or you using an 8 + 8 pin cable?
    Try switching to separate cables if not already

New ROGer Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)PVR416G413C9K @ 3600 14-15-14-28 CR1
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

A PSU can GPU cause coil whine (normally cheap or old ones), maybe you should if you can, swap out PSU and see if the noise persists or changes.

If you RMA and can't reproduce the noise it will be returned.
    Last edited by RedSector73; 09-30-2019 at 12:46 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by RedSector73 View Post
    A PSU can GPU cause coil whine (normally cheap or old ones), maybe you should if you can, swap out PSU and see if the noise persists or changes.

If you RMA and can't reproduce the noise it will be returned.

I built this PC in december of 2018 and i used some high quality parts. the PSU is the EVGA 1000W supernova Gold.
    It is possible they didn't get the noise at the shop but they didn't say that they didn't though. They simply said:

"It's normal with every GPU and doesn't affect the preformance of the card". Basically a big FU and your gaming experience. Because how can anyone play any game when that screeching can be heard from the other room and with your headphones on.
    Now they want 50 euro to send it back to me because my RMA was baseless and not needed according to them...

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by OutSider420 View Post
    Are you using a separate cable for each 8 pin connector or you using an 8 + 8 pin cable?
    Try switching to separate cables if not already

They're 2 separate 8 pin cables yeah. The aftermarket that you attach to the stock cables from your PSU so i'll take off the aftermarket ones and use the stock ones once the shop sends the card back