cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shop won't accept RMA of 2080ti with insane coil whine

Robbie97
Level 7
Hi!

Recently i had to RMA my first 2080ti strix advanced i bought half a year ago due to some heating issues in it.
They sent me a replacement card which seemed to work fine at first however...

I fire up some games and instantly i start to hear THIS noise come from it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-GNjNcNWsc894T-hThETE2foeh1lrwkp
Yes it's as bad as it sounds, i recorded it about 30Cm from my GPU with my phone.
The noise wouldn't go away no matter how much i fiddled with the settings in several games. It was soundless at first during desktop browsing but after i shut down the 3rd game the noise started to persist even on the desktop. It wasn't as loud but still VERY much audible.

I decided to RMA this one aswell but the shop says they won't send me a replacement and basically telling me "Oh well that's normal for GPUs, screw you and your gaming experience with this ear destroying screech"...

My question is: Would asus accept this for RMA if i sent it directly to them? How could anyone enjoy any game when the GPU makes an ear bleeding noise that can be heard from the other room and even when i have my headphones on which isolate sound very well. (Logitech g933)

I live in Finland and i bought it from a very well known and i'd say generally well trusted component/hardware sites.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
I don't know how ASUS handles coil whine in Finland but it can't hurt to ask. Call up support and see what they say.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

OutSider420
Level 9
Are you using a separate cable for each 8 pin connector or you using an 8 + 8 pin cable?
Try switching to separate cables if not already

A PSU can GPU cause coil whine (normally cheap or old ones), maybe you should if you can, swap out PSU and see if the noise persists or changes.

If you RMA and can't reproduce the noise it will be returned.

RedSector73 wrote:
A PSU can GPU cause coil whine (normally cheap or old ones), maybe you should if you can, swap out PSU and see if the noise persists or changes.

If you RMA and can't reproduce the noise it will be returned.

I built this PC in december of 2018 and i used some high quality parts. the PSU is the EVGA 1000W supernova Gold.
It is possible they didn't get the noise at the shop but they didn't say that they didn't though. They simply said:

"It's normal with every GPU and doesn't affect the preformance of the card". Basically a big FU and your gaming experience. Because how can anyone play any game when that screeching can be heard from the other room and with your headphones on.
Now they want 50 euro to send it back to me because my RMA was baseless and not needed according to them...

OutSider420 wrote:
Are you using a separate cable for each 8 pin connector or you using an 8 + 8 pin cable?
Try switching to separate cables if not already

They're 2 separate 8 pin cables yeah. The aftermarket that you attach to the stock cables from your PSU so i'll take off the aftermarket ones and use the stock ones once the shop sends the card back