cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GT-AX11000 Random ping spikes help

Mikos117
Level 7
Hi guys, I am new here and in desperate need of help.

I have recently switched ISP's from BT to Virgin media and the 3.0 Hub was just awful for its WIFI whereas my BT router was perfect for all my needs. I like to do a lot of gaming and unfortunately due to location of my equipment I cannot use wired connections. I bought the GT-AX11000 so solve my WIFI problems, which it did, and now have coverage all over my house. My problem is that when I am gaming, I am getting terrible random ping spikes which is making games unplayable.

I am a novice when it comes to anything remotely advanced in networking.

I have ran a DSLreport that shows random bufferbloat spikes during the upload tests. I have tried my gaming rig and gaming laptop on 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2 and this seems to happen on all 3 frequencies and on both computers. I have tried limiting my upload bandwidth on both computer using the QoS function. I know a lot of places state this could be down to interference but i do not know how to check. If i use only the Virgin Hub 3.0 I do not get these random spikes so i am confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Bartman
Level 7
Check your devices in device manager.

From desktop, right click my computer, properties, Device manager,

Under that check network adapters, if you have Microsoft Virtual adapter disable that (might be more than one) and try your speed test again, post back the results.

Regards

mlippold
Level 7
Mikos117 wrote:
Hi guys, I am new here and in desperate need of help.

I have recently switched ISP's from BT to Virgin media and the 3.0 Hub was just awful for its WIFI whereas my BT router was perfect for all my needs. I like to do a lot of gaming and unfortunately due to location of my equipment I cannot use wired connections. I bought the GT-AX11000 so solve my WIFI problems, which it did, and now have coverage all over my house. My problem is that when I am gaming, I am getting terrible random ping spikes which is making games unplayable.

I am a novice when it comes to anything remotely advanced in networking.

I have ran a DSLreport that shows random bufferbloat spikes during the upload tests. I have tried my gaming rig and gaming laptop on 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2 and this seems to happen on all 3 frequencies and on both computers. I have tried limiting my upload bandwidth on both computer using the QoS function. I know a lot of places state this could be down to interference but i do not know how to check. If i use only the Virgin Hub 3.0 I do not get these random spikes so i am confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In Wireless -> Professional - Try turning off MU-MIMO, Airtime Fairness, Explicit Beamforming, Universal Beamforming and 802.11ac Beamforming for all three bands 2.4, 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 and see if the problem goes away.

I had the same thing you are experiencing and it was tied to the beamforming settings. If that works you can then try adding things back if you like or just leave it as is.

mlippold wrote:
In Wireless -> Professional - Try turning off MU-MIMO, Airtime Fairness, Explicit Beamforming, Universal Beamforming and 802.11ac Beamforming for all three bands 2.4, 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 and see if the problem goes away.

I had the same thing you are experiencing and it was tied to the beamforming settings. If that works you can then try adding things back if you like or just leave it as is.

This solved my issues. 100%.

chudson wrote:
This solved my issues. 100%.

Same here, turning off beamforming took my ping spikes from 2000+ms to 10ms, with average ping at 10ms, which is great. Thank you so much.

samiam222
Level 7

100% the root cause of my problems since spinning this up. Very much appreciated.