Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Partition question

So on my G74sx, it came with a 500 gb HDD. they were split up so that my OS HDD had 186 gb and the Data HDD got 250. I want to know if there is a way where I can redistribute the amount of space so that my OS has more space and the data has less (around 100 is really all I want there) If there is, what is the easiest way to do it? Never done it before... Thanks in advance
    You are the product of millions of years of evolution. ****ing act like it.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Use Windows Disk Management to delete the DATA partition. Then extend the current OS partition by 150 GB for a total capacity of 336 G. Create a new DATA partition of 100 GB. This will retain the hidden 25 GB ASUS Factory partition, allowing you to restore your system to its original state.

If you have files on the DATA partition now, be sure to back them up. They will be gone when you delete your current DATA partition.

One disadvantage of such a large OS partition is that the Windows System Image will also be large in your backups. If you created a 60 GB OS partition, you could back up 5 Windows System Images vs. the one 336 GB OS partition you currently desire.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

So would it be better than to just save all my files to the Data Partition and just run the OS from the OS partition?
    You are the product of millions of years of evolution. ****ing act like it.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    One disadvantage of such a large OS partition is that the Windows System Image will also be large in your backups. If you created a 60 GB OS partition, you could back up 5 Windows System Images vs. the one 336 GB OS partition you currently desire.
    +1 I think it makes all kinds of backups more efficient when the OS+programs partition is kept smaller, and separate from the user data. When set up that way, most users wouldn't need more than a 60-100Gb OS partition.

Quote Originally Posted by AC3OFSPADES View Post
    So would it be better than to just save all my files to the Data Partition and just run the OS from the OS partition?
    Yes. OS plus programs. You can use Disk Management, as Drew described, to make the OS partition smaller and the Data partition bigger.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array UltraNEO* PC Specs
    UltraNEO* PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell XPS 13
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Titan X (Pascal)
    Graphics Card #2Titan X (Pascal)
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q (x3)
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1Tb (x4)
    CPU CoolerCustom Watercooled
    CaseCaseLabs SMA8
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Keyboard Paradise Custom
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Mouse Pad Logitech G840 XL
    Headset/Speakers ART SLA2 Linear Amp with JBL Control 5
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterPF Sense
    Accessory #1 Logitech Brio 4k
    Accessory #2 Logitech PowerPlay Game Pad

Partition Magic can change the partition sizes without formatting!!!!
    Just make sure you read the instructions first!!

http://partition-magic.soft32.com/

There's also Partition Wizard (free trial)
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/
    Last edited by UltraNEO*; 02-28-2012 at 01:57 AM.
    ASUS ROG RVIE Omega | i9-9980xe | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
    WD Black 4TB x2 | WD Black 6TB | Corsair AX1200i | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
    XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

Quote Originally Posted by UltraNEO* View Post
    Partition Magic can change the partition sizes without formatting!!!!
    Just make sure you read the instructions first!!

http://partition-magic.soft32.com/
    That can also be done with Windows DIsk Management.

UltraNEO* PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850k
    CaseCaseLabs SMA8
    Mouse Logitech G903
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterPF Sense

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    That can also be done with Windows DIsk Management.
    Don't you have to 'delete' the partition you'd wanna extend into before 'extend-ing' it?
    ASUS ROG RVIE Omega | i9-9980xe | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
    WD Black 4TB x2 | WD Black 6TB | Corsair AX1200i | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
    XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AC3OFSPADES View Post
    Keep Windows OS as lean as possible in a more or less 100 GB partition space should be okay.
    Better to place your large files on the non-OS partition/s.
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

Quote Originally Posted by UltraNEO* View Post
    Don't you have to 'delete' the partition before 'extend-ing' it?
    No. In the scenario previously mentioned, where you'd want to re-allocate disk space amongst the existing partitions on a drive, it's very easy. Here's how you'd do it:

1. Shrink the partition you want smaller (which will leave some unallocated space).
    2. Expand the other partition that you want bigger, by adding that newly-free space.

Very easy, very safe. It'd only take a couple minutes, and doesn't require installing or learning any 3rd party software.

UltraNEO* PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-6850k
    CaseCaseLabs SMA8
    Mouse Logitech G903
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterPF Sense

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    No. In the scenario previously mentioned, where you'd want to re-allocate disk space amongst the existing partitions on a drive, it's very easy. Here's how you'd do it:

1. Shrink the partition you want smaller (which will leave some unallocated space).
    2. Expand the other partition that you want bigger, by adding that newly-free space.

Very easy, very safe. It'd only take a couple minutes, and doesn't require installing or learning any 3rd party software.
    Hmm... I think you should read it again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Use Windows Disk Management to delete the DATA partition. Then extend the current OS partition by 150 GB for a total capacity of 336 G. Create a new DATA partition of 100 GB. This will retain the hidden 25 GB ASUS Factory partition, allowing you to restore your system to its original state.

If you have files on the DATA partition now, be sure to back them up. They will be gone when you delete your current DATA partition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast