cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero WiFi AC boot question

Gammatron
Level 7
So this motherboard is slow enough as it is (just like the Rampage V Extreme I had before it was), taking about half a minute to boot into Win 10 on an NVMe M.2 drive (26.2-second 'last BIOS time' in Task Manager), but that's another thread.

Is there a hotkey I can use to bring up some kind of boot menu to enter a particular OS without entering the BIOS proper? F8 or something to that effect?
1 REPLY 1

RedSector73
Level 12
Here is the procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it. A Windows DVD won't work unless you've created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in, I don't think this would work with previous versions.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives. Typically you don't put anything on SATA port 1 as this is now reserved for the NVME drive and may cause a conflict (so don't use it unless you have no choice).

Feel free to try windows reset, taking note of procedure given, however I've not personally seen this work unless the boot drive was already fast and didn't have an issue like slow boot time (your mileage may vary if you try something else).

Hope you find this of help