cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Fixed . . . Kinda* BIOS Versions After 2606 Reduce 2700X Performance on CH7

Nick_Name
Level 7
I've tried every BIOS version I could find after 2606 (beta and SMU modded and most recent 2801) and all of them reduce the performance of my 2700X on the CH7. I use Performance Enhancer 3 in all tests. Can anyone confirm the same? And does anyone have a solution or at least a reason for the reduction in performance?

Edit:
I figured it out. The culprit was Performance Bias Aida/Geekbench.
19 REPLIES 19

mikev190
Level 9
Use older bios. The newer bios after 1.0.0.2 have no benefit for older generations

mikev190 wrote:
Use older bios. The newer bios after 1.0.0.2 have no benefit for older generations

That's not entirely true. With the new ComboPi AGESA versions you can increase EDC higher than 168 which allows for a higher multiplier when using PE 3 and 4. It also will let you change EDC in BIOS to change the multiplier when using PE 3 and 4 whereas it previously had to be done within Ryzen Master.

So while I understand your sentiment. It doesn't answer any questions.

Jonotallica
Level 7
I usually don't have the patience to tell everyone I see on the internet this, but in this case I couldn't resist and wanted to reply.

To me this is blatantly obvious. These newer BIOSes are for 3000 series CPU. If I had a 2000 series CPU I would try the last 2 - 3 BIOS before July 7, and pick which one works best.

Same thing with 1000 series.

You could argue that it shouldn't be this way or that AMD sucks because of this.. but consider this. AM4 carries a lot more future upgrade options than Intel's way of doing things. Intel forces you to switch motherboards all of the time, and AMD allows you to keep your old socket and motherboard and offers upgrade options. This should be praised. And also consider the size of the BIOS rom chip. It has a limit and all motherboard makers are having to shrink down their code to fit certain limits (especially on earlier boards). Often earlier generations of CPU have compatibility removed completely, but even if it still works or is still supported.. it's not optimized anymore.

If you think that AMD are giving ANY consideration to how 1000 or 2000 series will react when they release AGESAS in September 2019.. I'm sorry but you're living in fantasy land. You must be a glutton for punishment (and like fixing bugs or being a beta tester). If there are any benefits from trialing and erroring a new BIOS, it's a fortunate coincidence. All focus is on these current 3rd gen CPU's. With X570 given highest priority.

And in 12-18 months time, the same will apply for the 4000 series CPU's. The 3900X or 3950X users will be better off using the older BIOS. The last (most stable) BIOS before they add support for 4000 series. And then the 4000 series will have a series of bugs and the cycle will repeat.

Instead of complaining, just be grateful for the extra compatibility that AMD offers. The idea that someone can buy a 1700 and then upgrade to a 3600 and then 2 years later a 3900X or a 4700X without needing a new motherboard.

Jonotallica wrote:
I usually don't have the patience to tell everyone I see on the internet this, but in this case I couldn't resist and wanted to reply.

To me this is blatantly obvious. These newer BIOSes are for 3000 series CPU. If I had a 2000 series CPU I would try the last 2 - 3 BIOS before July 7, and pick which one works best.

Same thing with 1000 series.

You could argue that it shouldn't be this way or that AMD sucks because of this.. but consider this. AM4 carries a lot more future upgrade options than Intel's way of doing things. Intel forces you to switch motherboards all of the time, and AMD allows you to keep your old socket and motherboard and offers upgrade options. This should be praised. And also consider the size of the BIOS rom chip. It has a limit and all motherboard makers are having to shrink down their code to fit certain limits (especially on earlier boards). Often earlier generations of CPU have compatibility removed completely, but even if it still works or is still supported.. it's not optimized anymore.

If you think that AMD are giving ANY consideration to how 1000 or 2000 series will react when they release AGESAS in September 2019.. I'm sorry but you're living in fantasy land. You must be a glutton for punishment (and like fixing bugs or being a beta tester). If there are any benefits from trialing and erroring a new BIOS, it's a fortunate coincidence. All focus is on these current 3rd gen CPU's. With X570 given highest priority.

And in 12-18 months time, the same will apply for the 4000 series CPU's. The 3900X or 3950X users will be better off using the older BIOS. The last (most stable) BIOS before they add support for 4000 series. And then the 4000 series will have a series of bugs and the cycle will repeat.

Instead of complaining, just be grateful for the extra compatibility that AMD offers. The idea that someone can buy a 1700 and then upgrade to a 3600 and then 2 years later a 3900X or a 4700X without needing a new motherboard.

Lol. Feel proud of yourself?

There should be no reason a previous generation CPU would lose performance (not considering things like exploit mitigations, security updates, etc.) in new BIOS versions. I'd also like to point out that BIOS versions with the Combo Pi AGESA prior to BIOS version 2703 did not diminish the performance of my 2700X.

Rewerend
Level 9
Nick Name: Did u measured performance with bunch of benchmarks? Which one did you used?

Rewerend wrote:
Nick Name: Did u measured performance with bunch of benchmarks? Which one did you used?

I used Cinebench R15 and Aida to measure RAM bandwidth. Cinebench drops around 120 points and RAM bandwidth is reduced. Copy is reduced the most by around 3 GB/s.

I just tested BIOS 2801 with a fixed multiplier instead of using PE 3 and the results are the same.

Is there really no one else still running a 2700X on a CH7 that has tried any of the newer BIOS versions?

Nick Name wrote:
Is there really no one else still running a 2700X on a CH7 that has tried any of the newer BIOS versions?

I'm still on 2703