ROG Junior Member Array

Unhappy X99-Deluxe: impossible to run XMP profile after bios flash

Specs:
    X99-Deluxe
    5960x
    4x4GB G-SKILL Ripjaws4 DDR4-3000 CL15

So yeah. This isn't the most brand spanking new thing I'm having a problem with today. More like my 5 year old system that's causing headaches.

I decided to flash the bios to the latest version yesterday (mostly 'cause I hadn't done it in a while... ahem... an eternity), and because I figured it might actually solve one or the other stability issues I have been facing every now and then.

So I upgraded from bios v1801 to v4001 (yes, there were a few years and iteration in-between).

Interestingly, I was able to get pretty much all my overclocking settings as I previously had... but... IMPOSSIBLE to run the DDR4 at its rated speed.

It would either go straight to code B7, or just cycle to bd a few times and end up giving up in CC (mobo status codes).

The highest frequency I was able to boot at was 2400. No matter what strap, bclk and divider I chose.

I started to think the ram might just have unseated itself, or got damaged in the bios flash... But then I flashed back to bios 1801, re-applied my profile and bam, XMP loads, 15-15-15-35 1T @ 3200 boots and loads without a glitch.

After that I tried v4101 again, triple-checking I was running the exact same settings... but again, same crapping out above 2400 MHz.

Is there a rational explanation as to why the new bios(es) won't allow the ram to work properly (anymore)? I'm staying on my (vulnerable) v1801 until further notice I suppose. Can't live with having a water-chilled top-of-the-line (2015 edition) PC with gimped DDR4.

ROG Junior Member Array

Well, I guess nobody's still running these dinosaur setups anymore I guess...

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Some builds can simply favour certain CPUs over others, as no two CPU are identical. If the system was working fine on the previous build, it's safe to leave it. Or, you can dial out the instability manually.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I think I'm having the exact same issue with my rampage v edition 10. only now I cant get xmp to work on any bios version after the first flash...

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

For Haswell E I'd try the last of the 2XXX BIOSes