Did you mean: 

X99-Deluxe: impossible to run XMP profile after bios flash

steeludder
Level 7
Specs:
X99-Deluxe
5960x
4x4GB G-SKILL Ripjaws4 DDR4-3000 CL15

So yeah. This isn't the most brand spanking new thing I'm having a problem with today. More like my 5 year old system that's causing headaches.

I decided to flash the bios to the latest version yesterday (mostly 'cause I hadn't done it in a while... ahem... an eternity), and because I figured it might actually solve one or the other stability issues I have been facing every now and then.

So I upgraded from bios v1801 to v4001 (yes, there were a few years and iteration in-between).

Interestingly, I was able to get pretty much all my overclocking settings as I previously had... but... IMPOSSIBLE to run the DDR4 at its rated speed.

It would either go straight to code B7, or just cycle to bd a few times and end up giving up in CC (mobo status codes).

The highest frequency I was able to boot at was 2400. No matter what strap, bclk and divider I chose.

I started to think the ram might just have unseated itself, or got damaged in the bios flash... But then I flashed back to bios 1801, re-applied my profile and bam, XMP loads, 15-15-15-35 1T @ 3200 boots and loads without a glitch.

After that I tried v4101 again, triple-checking I was running the exact same settings... but again, same crapping out above 2400 MHz.

Is there a rational explanation as to why the new bios(es) won't allow the ram to work properly (anymore)? I'm staying on my (vulnerable) v1801 until further notice I suppose. Can't live with having a water-chilled top-of-the-line (2015 edition) PC with gimped DDR4.
6 REPLIES 6

steeludder
Level 7
Well, I guess nobody's still running these dinosaur setups anymore I guess... 😞

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Some builds can simply favour certain CPUs over others, as no two CPU are identical. If the system was working fine on the previous build, it's safe to leave it. Or, you can dial out the instability manually.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Morkrah
Level 7
I think I'm having the exact same issue with my rampage v edition 10. only now I cant get xmp to work on any bios version after the first flash...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
For Haswell E I'd try the last of the 2XXX BIOSes

krantrold
Level 7
I have X99 strix gaming with the last win 10 updates bios 2101 go to **** my graphic card
with bios 1801 all things works 100 %

BigJohnny
Level 13
Any time Ive changed the BIOS and had adverse effects I just roll it back. I normally pay the extra for the boards with dual BIOS so I can switch back using alternate BIOS ROM first before rolling back the other.