Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Step-by-Step Build/Setup Guide Question

scrapser
Level 7
I'm writing with hope here.

***/ Edited to add:
In addition to what I first posted below, another "tool" that would be helpful is an "Official Owner's Thread" where any and all discussion regarding a particular mobo could be focused. I think there are a few of these on the ASUS boards but it would be great to have it as a matter of practice. I have used this on the AVS Forums for questions on components to my home theater system for many years. It's a great way to cut down on the needle in the haystack when trying to find pertinent information.

End edit/ ***

Is there a generic guide that goes through the steps anyone would need to follow to build a computer and afterwards, a similar step by step guide for setting up BIOS, OS, all drivers pertinent to the main components every computer needs to function?

I know there are plenty of guides here and on other boards...many with a lot of overlap and written with tons of info but also leaving some questions that might arise based on what is stated and how. I'm hoping all this information could be boiled down to the basics, resulting in a computer that runs per hardware specs (i.e., stock) and is now ready for the next phase if so inclined to overclock.

Here is just one example of a short question chain.

Is it necessary to adjust the memory settings to get the stock speed the memory is rated at while leaving the CPU at stock or must they both be adjusted together? Depending on what the answer is that will open the door for other questions. For example, would this be considered what is necessary to achieve stock settings or are we now in overclock territory? The hardware today has so much capability, particularly with the current BIOS that "stock" and "overclock" seem to overlap.

I haven't built a new computer in 7 years and everything I'm reading (including all the opinionated info mixed in) has my head spinning. I'm pretty sure I have some overkill built into some of my components (definitely the RAM) but I'm not worried about that right now. So long as I can finish with a system that runs stable and reliable I'm happy.

Thanks
0 REPLIES 0