cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero - Won't Power On After Reset CMOS

BenMeetsWorld
Level 7
Hi ROG Forum,

I was hoping someone here would be able to assist me with an issue I am currently having.

I've had my PC for around 4-5 years and recently ran into a few instances where my PC would power off before post when I tried to turn it on, but would post fine the second time I pressed the power button. Checking the event viewer it was showing an Event 219 error.

Checking the device manager, all the drivers appeared to be updated but I read a fix that stated setting the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework in Services to "Automatic" instead of "Manual" was a fix. I did this and shut down my PC for the day.

Returning to my PC this evening, I went to turn it on and it would fail to POST - powering down then rebooting over and over. I powered the PC down and reset the CMOS (holding the button for 30 secs), leaving it for 20mins before returning.

When powering up the PC would begin to boot, going through LED codes before getting to 58 ("CPU self test failed or possible CPU cache error"), then 00, then powering off. After this I am unable to power up the PC unless I go through the reset CMOS process again which yields the same outcome - beginning to boot, going through LED codes before getting to 58, then 00 then powering off.

If you have any suggestions as to how to rectify the situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a list of my parts:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
• CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
• Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150
• Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
• Storage (OS): Sandisk SSD 64GB 2.5″
• Storage (Main): Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5″ 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
• Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
• Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
• Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
• Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0″ Monitor
• Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red)
• Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
• Headset: Plantronics GameCom 780 7.1 Channel Headset
7 REPLIES 7

TjFNQ
Level 7
Just a thought, can you get into bios and hit F5 to default everything, also check your thermal paste on cpu and gpu. I found some info which ill paste below but you probably have already trolled most pages. Failing that un-plug everything and clean out the case, put it all back together and see how it goes. Last resort would be fresh install of OS.... and bios update if there is one. My old Formula 4 bios only went to 2014.

Id almost recommend updating to WIN 10 as a side note, fixed a few of my issues before i upgraded to z390. Just my two cents.

When a device is plugged into a Windows-based system, the following warning event Kernel-PnP ID 219 is logged together with the event DriverFrameworks-Usermode ID 10114 in the System log:
(Logged events)
Warning xxxx/xx/xx xx:xx:xx Kernel-PnP 219 (212)
The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device xxxx.
Information xxxx/xx/xx xx:xx:xx: DriverFrameworks-UserMode 10114 Start UMDF reflector
WUDFPf (part of UMDF) did not load yet. After it does, Windows will start the device again.

Cause
When a UMDF device was connected, UMDF driver for that device will be loaded. The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service, which is necessary for loading UMDF driver, will be started triggered by loading the driver.
However, for some cases, when the system tries to load the driver, Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework has not started yet. So the two events above are logged.
Resolution
The driver that Windows tries to load will be retried. So, the events are safe to ignore unless the same events are logged continuously, and no need to do something.
You can confirm the driver is loaded successfully in the System Information, and you can confirm the devices are running correctly in the Device Manager.

Thank you for your response.

Unable to access the BIOS and default everything during startup.

Would it be worthwhile attempting a reset using the USB BIOS Flashback feature instead?

If so, which BIOS should I look to load https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/ - the first release, or something more recent?

TjFNQ
Level 7
If that clear cmos button is questionable just pull the battery out and disconnect 240 mains. leave for 5 mins or hold down power button to drain any residual current.
Replace battery and boot, failing that do the below method.

I would just go the first release of 0401, Unplug every usb, component etc and all hard drives except for MBR. Pull ur ram out and re-seat. Make sure cpu power is properly connected as well as the 24 pin. You just want the bare minimum connected to isolate the issue and get it to boot.

**Edit- if that bios version gives you grief try 2601**

TjFNQ wrote:
I would just go the first release of 0401, Unplug every usb, component etc and all hard drives except for MBR. Pull ur ram out and re-seat. Make sure cpu power is properly connected as well as the 24 pin. You just want the bare minimum connected to isolate the issue and get it to boot.

**Edit- if that bios version gives you grief try 2601**

To clarify, are you recommending that I unplug/re-seat etc before running a USB BIOS Flashback, or after?

TjFNQ
Level 7
*Before.

You just want to make sure you have covered all the basics before trying a RE-flash, double check all your cable connections and that ram is sitting in the slots correctly etc, and only OS hard drive connected, no other usb plugged in, run 1 monitor only (if using multi). Your CPU has integrated graphics so remove your graphics card and plug monitor directly into motherboard. Again just for testing purposes.

Don't stress too much, most changes are not very noticable in bios if you haven't done it before.

TjFNQ
Level 7
How did you go? Any luck yet?

BenMeetsWorld
Level 7
Sorry for the delayed response.

I did as you suggested, with the exception of the USB Flashback, with no luck. I left it alone for a few days and just attempted to power it back up.

I'm now simply getting a 00 LED code (which I know if really just the catch all for "unspecified error") when powering up - no going through the boot codes until it hit 58 and powers down like before.

It stays on for about a second then powers down and won't respond unless I use the mains switch or Reset CMOS button, but the outcome is still the same.

All cables etc are plugged in fine.

UPDATE: Just tried the BIOS Flashback (both versions you suggested) and I'm getting the original problem - going through LED codes before getting to 58 ("CPU self test failed or possible CPU cache error") then powering off and unable to power on without mains switch or Reset CMOS.