cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Matrix Platinum RTX 2080Ti - review, numbers and temps ?

Undertoker
Level 9
*Hi guys I am toying with buying one of these Matrix cards and I cannot find any info at all on the performance of them.
There is the odd benchmark stating 7% over an FE rtx2080ti, but I’d like to now the temps and numbers etc - a decent review.
I’m currently running a Strix RTX 2080ti and have been offered a Matrix at a good price
My plan was to possibly buy it and sell my strix, but I’d like to know a bit more before committing *
Any info or links would be appreciated I cannot find a single,decent review - I know how the tech works , I want numbers and temps etc*
Thank you
John*
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard
7 REPLIES 7

1mluer
Level 11
I own the Matrix. when playing games overclocked it stays under 70c around 67ish c and I can overclock it pretty substantially. Cooler if I manually set the fans and anything above 70% consistently. I am also using gpu tweek II and it works perfect. when I do 3d mark and crank it up I get 18995 on time spy as my highest score. Normally between 15995 and 18250. I consistently run in the top 99% per time spy online comparison and I don't need to crank it up very much to get to 99%. In fact out of the box without any tweaks I get top 99%.

I run Apex XI with 64g bidi rgb ram, 5.2 ghz OC and i9-9900k.

Review it rocks.. no issues at all. best card I have owned. DX 11 apps get between 165 and 245 fps depending on how many foes are being drawn
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer
Level 11
Forgot to add that sometimes the RGB lighting gets a mind of it's own. I blame the software because I can control it correctly when Aura is somewhat working. I think as soon as the software gets fixed that will go away too.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

Undertoker
Level 9
Firstly
Thank you for taking the time to post bud, it is appreciated.

Interesting that the Matrix temps are actually higher than my strix 2080ti OC*
I assumed that a water based AIO would run cooler, but I guess when you factor in the huge overclock on both the core and the memory on the Matrix it is generating a lot more heat.
The bottom line is it copes with that heat I guess, but it does run warmer than I thought it would.

I am tempted to get one and chop in my Strix, but I’m holding fire kinda hoping that Asus release a posiedon version that I can run on a custom water loop - I’m not holding my breath on that though sadly.

I did try running an Ek water block on it briefly but it was frankly awful and the best I could get was 72deg under load, despite refitting the block several times I could not get any lower temps and in frustration - I ended up throwing the lot into a drawer and going back to the standard Strix triple fan air cooler, which is really good in honesty.

EKWB were frankly a total waste of time support wise and I suspect I have a duff waterblock, I even offered to send it back to them for testing at my own expense - the silence was deafening sadly and I won’t be touching any EK WB products again I can tell you - ever.

Probably the most interesting thing I found doing this is that when I refitted the standard Strix triple fan cooler I used decent thermal paste (grizzly kryonaut)
Before I stripped it I was getting around 70 degrees under load, but simply repasting it with decent thermal paste and also mounting the gpu vertically with a cable mod vertical gpu mount bracket it now runs at around 62-63 degrees
A massive improvement

The gpu also looks lovely mounted vertically as you actually see all of the shroud and the RGB, the best looking part you never usually see when it is mounted on its side as is the usual way.
These cable mod gpu vertical mounts are only around £60 a brilliant buy I’d recommend.

Now I’m not sure if it’s the better quality paste or mounting the gpu vertically, but the benefits have been amazing temperature wise.

As regards overclocking it I’ve had it set to 1815mhz on the core and 14750 on the memory in gpu tweak 2 and it’s done firestrike running stable, it peaks at around 2100mhz when running.
But tbh these cards are so fast it seems a pointless overlook really doesn’t it *:)

I have been quite lucky with this card though in the “silicon lottery’ as it’s a good overclocker and also has Samsung memory rather than the micron memory which is a bonus.

As regards the RGB Aura software I’d agree it’s been awful, right up until the last recent update, so try updating it if you haven’t got the latest version and also the gpu tweak has been updated and for me that ironed out the RGB bugs but Asus really need to up their game - it’s rubbish.

That said the RGB does now at last seem to do what I ask them to do and don’t flash random colours when I select OC mode in gpu tweak 2, which is a first, the latest GPU Tweak 2 seems to be *good with RGB.

How Asus allow such crap software to be released is beyond me in honesty, a £1400+ gpu that has bet as a main feature that not working fully is unforgivable.
But they finally have an acceptable release of software out now.
I’d like to see a single piece of software that covered the lot hough, at the moment there’s so many different programs

Armoury crate
Asus Aura
Asus Aura GPU

Then I’m having to run another one called Icue for my kraken cooler and then hue2 lighting as well for the led strips
None of them seem to like each other and it’s a nightmare but update your gpu tweak 2 and it does solve the led flashing randomly on the gpu for me anyway when I overclock it.
please let me know if it works for you if you update it

Again thank you for the post and the review, I do appreciate you taking the time.
Take a look at the cable mod vertical gpu mounting bracket, they are awesome and would really show a lovely gpu like your matrix off really well as well as perhaps run it even cooler.

All the best
John
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

Undertoker wrote:
Firstly
Thank you for taking the time to post bud, it is appreciated.

Interesting that the Matrix temps are actually higher than my strix 2080ti OC*
I assumed that a water based AIO would run cooler, but I guess when you factor in the huge overclock on both the core and the memory on the Matrix it is generating a lot more heat.
The bottom line is it copes with that heat I guess, but it does run warmer than I thought it would.

I am tempted to get one and chop in my Strix, but I’m holding fire kinda hoping that Asus release a posiedon version that I can run on a custom water loop - I’m not holding my breath on that though sadly.

I did try running an Ek water block on it briefly but it was frankly awful and the best I could get was 72deg under load, despite refitting the block several times I could not get any lower temps and in frustration - I ended up throwing the lot into a drawer and going back to the standard Strix triple fan air cooler, which is really good in honesty.

EKWB were frankly a total waste of time support wise and I suspect I have a duff waterblock, I even offered to send it back to them for testing at my own expense - the silence was deafening sadly and I won’t be touching any EK WB products again I can tell you - ever.

Probably the most interesting thing I found doing this is that when I refitted the standard Strix triple fan cooler I used decent thermal paste (grizzly kryonaut)
Before I stripped it I was getting around 70 degrees under load, but simply repasting it with decent thermal paste and also mounting the gpu vertically with a cable mod vertical gpu mount bracket it now runs at around 62-63 degrees
A massive improvement

The gpu also looks lovely mounted vertically as you actually see all of the shroud and the RGB, the best looking part you never usually see when it is mounted on its side as is the usual way.
These cable mod gpu vertical mounts are only around £60 a brilliant buy I’d recommend.

Now I’m not sure if it’s the better quality paste or mounting the gpu vertically, but the benefits have been amazing temperature wise.

As regards overclocking it I’ve had it set to 1815mhz on the core and 14750 on the memory in gpu tweak 2 and it’s done firestrike running stable, it peaks at around 2100mhz when running.
But tbh these cards are so fast it seems a pointless overlook really doesn’t it *:)

I have been quite lucky with this card though in the “silicon lottery’ as it’s a good overclocker and also has Samsung memory rather than the micron memory which is a bonus.

As regards the RGB Aura software I’d agree it’s been awful, right up until the last recent update, so try updating it if you haven’t got the latest version and also the gpu tweak has been updated and for me that ironed out the RGB bugs but Asus really need to up their game - it’s rubbish.

That said the RGB does now at last seem to do what I ask them to do and don’t flash random colours when I select OC mode in gpu tweak 2, which is a first, the latest GPU Tweak 2 seems to be *good with RGB.

How Asus allow such crap software to be released is beyond me in honesty, a £1400+ gpu that has bet as a main feature that not working fully is unforgivable.
But they finally have an acceptable release of software out now.
I’d like to see a single piece of software that covered the lot hough, at the moment there’s so many different programs

Armoury crate
Asus Aura
Asus Aura GPU

Then I’m having to run another one called Icue for my kraken cooler and then hue2 lighting as well for the led strips
None of them seem to like each other and it’s a nightmare but update your gpu tweak 2 and it does solve the led flashing randomly on the gpu for me anyway when I overclock it.
please let me know if it works for you if you update it

Again thank you for the post and the review, I do appreciate you taking the time.
Take a look at the cable mod vertical gpu mounting bracket, they are awesome and would really show a lovely gpu like your matrix off really well as well as perhaps run it even cooler.

All the best
John

Anything under 80 is great but like I said fully OC'd it only runs mid 60's at idol it runs 30c and like I said, If I manually run the fans at or above 70% it is still pretty quiet and runs cooler then 65c fully OC'd in game.

I like it a lot. I hope they do come out with a posiedon card but I have not heard anything with about it at all. I had to chase down the Matrix in the beginning too 🙂

My inquiry into the matrix:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?109298-I-have-to-ask-about-Matrix-2080-TI&highlight=matrix
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

Undertoker
Level 9
A good read*
I am tempted lol
The joy of pc :)*
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

I am just trying to find ANY information about the Matrix!
I can't find anything that talks when it will be available or even IF it will Ever be available!
Any information would be highly appreciated!
I am going to be doing my last build, so want to be sure the Computer Outlasts me!
It is very frustrating trying to find out info!
Thank you!
Paul

Vlada011
Level 10
You can't get temperatures not even close to RTX2080Ti K|NGP|N.
AIO Liquid cooler with 240mm radiators is just few temps difference compare to full cover waterblock.
That mean below 60C gaming. People talk about 55C max temperatures.

But that's very expensive RTX2080Ti.
Some customers even decide to use only AIO system not Hydro Copper waterblock because temps are very similar.
Other advantage is position of power connectors on back side of card.

Far coldest RTX2080Ti on market, absolutely no difference for gamers between AIO and full cover block except full cover block look much nicer.

PCB, electronic, temperatures, position of cables... probably most advanced GPU ever made and newest GPU Chip have nothing with that.
Detail explanation is here... If some GPU worth so much that's this model. For me she worth 1000 max and RTX2080Ti FE worth 700.

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/