cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team Russia OCs a Core i7-3820 to 5.66GHz (Check Out The BClk!)

X-ROG
Level 15
http://rog.asus.com/83222012/overclocking/team-russia-ocs-a-core-i7-3820-to-5-66ghz-check-out-that-b...

Gun’G'Star from Team Russia has pushed a huge OC out of the multiplier limited Core i7-3820 processor, hitting 5,665MHz on the Rampage IV Extreme.

See part of the CPU-Z validation below and check out that base clock! 131.74MHz (125 divider + 6MHz) with quad-channel memory all firing under phase change sub-zero cooling.

HWBot submission and ROG Forums OC discussion.

10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
Very nice indeed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Cossie1
Level 7
WOW that is impressive.

One question though, why is it showing up as 2 Cores with 2 threads in cpu-z ?
RIG:
Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme X79
Intel Core i7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E
Corsair Vengance 1600 DDR3 16GB (4x4GB)
Gigabyte Nvidia SOC 560Ti
Corsair HX850
Corsair H100 Cooler, with 2x Noctua NF-S12B fans added for push / pull
OCZ Vertex 3 120gb Sata 6GB's SSD
Hitachi 3TB Sata 6GB's HDD
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Corsair Obsidian 800D Case

Currently IBT stable @ 4700mhz , 1.365v

HiVizMan
Level 40
Because the user has disabled the other cores to achieve that max overclock.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:

I know that's a pretty impressive OC! but I still don't understand this statement, I would thing getting the Max OC would involve all cores and hitting those speeds with all cores would be in my humble opinion a lot more impressive and more useful than saying Hey look what I can do if I shut off most of My Brain!...sorry but I really don't see the point if your only OC'ing a small part and not the whole.

HiVizMan wrote:

I know that's a pretty impressive OC! but I still don't understand this statement, I would thing getting the Max OC would involve all cores and hitting those speeds with all cores would be in my humble opinion a lot more impressive and more useful than saying Hey look what I can do if I shut off most of My Brain!...sorry but I really don't see the point if your only OC'ing a small part and not the whole.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I hear you. I agree at one level, for me and my Sandy Bridge we can play 24/7 at 5.751GHz on all four cores and with HT on. That to me is a great CPU. Now maybe I could get an extra 50MHz out of her if I disabled two cores and HT but like you I think that is slightly deviating from the stated aim of a max overclock. For me it should be the max frequency your CPU can do in the form that it is sold.

But I am old fashioned... actually just old.

HiVizMan wrote:
I hear you. I agree at one level, for me and my Sandy Bridge we can play 24/7 at 5.751GHz on all four cores and with HT on. That to me is a great CPU. Now maybe I could get an extra 50MHz out of her if I disabled two cores and HT but like you I think that is slightly deviating from the stated aim of a max overclock. For me it should be the max frequency your CPU can do in the form that it is sold.

But I am old fashioned... actually just old.

Thats exactly the way I see it.
RIG:
Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme X79
Intel Core i7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E
Corsair Vengance 1600 DDR3 16GB (4x4GB)
Gigabyte Nvidia SOC 560Ti
Corsair HX850
Corsair H100 Cooler, with 2x Noctua NF-S12B fans added for push / pull
OCZ Vertex 3 120gb Sata 6GB's SSD
Hitachi 3TB Sata 6GB's HDD
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Corsair Obsidian 800D Case

Currently IBT stable @ 4700mhz , 1.365v

Cossie1 wrote:
Thats exactly the way I see it.

I agree with this too. A max overclock is when all cores are enabled with features such as HT and possibly VT enabled. If you can't hit and sustain those stats in a stable format, it is not a true statistic in my mind.

But hey what do I know, I have only just started overclocking and I 4.25Ghz on my A8-3850 without even trying. The system runs Prime95 for over an hour with no hiccups. Of course I do not count my self anything but a novice but these numbers from Team Russia seem over rated since they disabled a good majority of the CPU cores and features.
ASUS ROG M4E-Z
Intel i7-2700K (Stock)
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (Red) CPU Cooler
Sapphire Radeon HD6950 Model 100312SR
GeIL Enhanced Corsa 16GB (4x4GB) Model GEC316GB1600C9QC
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275W PSU
Thermaltake ArmorPlus VH6000BWS Full Tower Case
WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB HDD
2x Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB HDD

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Na your just well preserved!:p