cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75vw Black screen and distorted image

Aulren
Level 7
Full model name under the notebook (usually next to the serial number): G75vw-9z203v

Bios version: It's the stock one, no upgrade

CPU:Intel Core i7-3720QM

Memory amount in GB:
GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M

Operating system: Original ASUS factory image or clean install? Microsoft Activated yes/no?
Windows seven 64bit vanilla from asus install

Drivers Installed (include version and especially any non-ASUS approved notebook drivers):

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed:
None

System Overclocked (provide details)?
None

Any hardware upgraded?
Only the ram a couple years ago

Issue :

Hello everyone, I've got a "little" issue with my video card. I was minding my business when the screen froze with weird green lines everywhere and the laptop froze. Once I restarted it, nothing on the screen (but it lights up, just stay black) while the computer was starting on background.
At first I tried to remove the battery and the ac adpater then press the power button for a minute : no changes, same without the ram.
I then tried to plug it through the hdmi port and got something but with the same kind of artifacts (see pictures below)

The video card isn't detected and I can't go higher than 640x480 res. I tried to remove the drivers from Nvidia and reinstall new ones> actually when they're installed I get a BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys file in fault and can only access windows through safe mode.

It is obvious that the gpu is in cause but what I'd like to know is if it is worth trying to fix the issue (but how? ) or should I buy a new one?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Annexes :

10 REPLIES 10

jdfrench3
Level 12
Well, if you can find a working used NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M video card (you must match P/N exactly), the replacement is straight forward. What I've seen as a problem with the age of the G75 series is how the plastic panels are getting very brittle. Disassembly and reassembly can cause cracks and breaks around some of the metal screw inserts. When going into one, have a good super glue nearby.

My G75VW DS73 3D US model is fully upgraded (223 BIOS, 32Gb memory, all SSD storage, Intel 7260 WiFi card, and Windows 10) and works very good. I believe I replaced the bottom case because of cracking about 2 years ago. Apart from that, I've repasted the CPU and GPU, every couple years, replace the battery every three years, even replaced the power brick a couple times, and clean the fans often.

I see replacement video cards are costing about $100, I would replace the card and make some upgrades while in there.

If you can, please run dxdiag.exe and confirm your model. See example below. I believe you have a French 3D model. If so, those video cards are very hard to find.

G75VW-9Z203V - Nvidia 3D Vision + Max HDD

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM (2,30 GHz - 3,3 GHz)
Memory: 8GB (2x4GB), 1,600MHz
Display: 17,3" Full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) LED backlit, Nvidia 3D Vision with Lightboost, 120Hz
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 670M 3GB GDDR5
HDD: 2x 1.5TB 7,200RPM (RAID 0 option)
ODD: DVD±RW DL / BD-ROM
LAN: Gigabit
Wi-Fi: 802.11n
Intel Wireless Display (WiDi): Yes
Bluetooth: Yes 4.0
DisplayPort: 1 x mini
Thunderbolt: No
Battery: 8 cell 5200mAh
Software: Windows® 7 Edition Home Premium 64 bit & Microsoft Office 2010 Starter

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

You're telling me there's a dedicated gpu for the french market? :s
Any 670m wouldn't be compatible with the system?

Depending on your model (the reason I asked you to run dxdiag.exe to confirm your model) you could have a number of different video cards in your laptop.

That's why it is important that you replace your video card with a card with the same part number. Which means you are going to have to open your laptop and disassemble the motherboard in order to just get the part number off your video card.

The French Market has nothing to do with it.
Homebuilt Windows Server

dxdiag gives me the following :

System model G75vw
Bios version 04.06.05

It doesn't detect the video card.

Wow, the Windows 7 version of dxdiag.exe is some what different. It shows you only have a G75VW, a i7 3610QM CPU, and doesn't properly identify your BIOS.

Can you still access your BIOS?

Do you think you can update the BIOS? Latest is 223 dated 01/17/2017.

Get copy of latest BIOS file from ASUS Download Center website. Unzip the file, put copy on a USB. Go into BIOS/Advanced/Start Easy Flash, find the USB and perform update.

The latest NViIDIA driver for my G75VW is version 23.21.13.8857 dated 12/4/2017.

Do you still have the DVD that came with the laptop? It will have copy of original drivers.
Homebuilt Windows Server

I've updated the bios but that didn't change much.
Isn't there supposed to be an integrated chipset that takes the hand when the gpu isn't needed? Is there a way to activate it by default?

When you run dxdiag.exe now, does it now display the BIOS properly (showing G75VWAS.223)?

Check Control Panel, Device Manager, Display Adapters. Should show something like default display.

Why haven't you updated this laptop to Windows 10?

I think you don't have a bad video card, I think you have a corrupted video driver. I would install a new blank OS hard drive, remove second drive, and install Windows 10. Keep your data on your old hard drives and transfer to new drive after you get the laptop back up and running.
Homebuilt Windows Server

I get the release date of the BIOS update in dxdiag.
Could a faulty driver give me that black screen and distorted image in post screen and BIOS?

So you are getting a distorted screen even in BIOS?

Agreed, if BIOS screen is also affected then it must be video card.

Take that laptop apart and get the part number off the video card. It should be on a green label. Take note of the part number printed on the card itself. This number represents the model of the video card You should want to match those as well.

Now the big problem, that darn green label can be moved from video card to video card pretty easily. Many ebay sites sell mislabeled video cards. They also like to post pictures of one card but sell you another.

Be patient, it might take awhile to get a working replacement. If you find one for about $100, you are doing good. That is the limit I would place on it's repair. If you sink more than $300 I think you might be better served to replace the laptop. Just my opinion.

Be sure to repaste the CPU, GPU and voltage regulators before you put everything back together.

Good Luck

Here's a couple pictures that show the difference between a 2D and 3D motherboard.
Homebuilt Windows Server