cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funky PCIe issue

bogdi1988
Level 8
Hey all,

Just finished re-building my TR2 system. Had an MSI X399 MEG board and upgraded to this one. I am running into some issue with the PCIe lanes where devices don't get detected properly depending on how things are plugged in and BIOS flags.

Config
CPU: 2990WX
RAM: 8x Corsair Vengeance RGP Pro 3600MHz memory @ 2993MHz
Storage 1: 2 MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 480GB in RAID 0 in DIMM.2
Storage 2: 4x Adata SX8200 480GB in RAID 0 in M.2 socket 3, 2x in PCIe2 (via ASUS Hyper M.2) and 1x in PCIe4x (or PCIe4 - see issue below; via a PCIe to m.2 adapter board) - Yes, I know, that's a LOT of storage devices.
GPU: 2x 2080Ti in in PCIe 1 and 3
Cooling: custom hard tubing with 3x 360mm radiators.
BIOS: 2001

Issue

Option 1
Config as above. When in BIOS, WiFi chipset is set to Enabled, one Nvidia card gives error 43 in driver and does not activate properly. Turning off WiFi chipset allows all devices to power and work correctly.

Option 2
Config as above, with 1 M.2 in PCIe4 instead of PCIe4x and WiFi disabled in BIOS. System boots OK. At some point, some PCIe devices will crash, such as the PCI Express Downstream Switch Port

Note: ports are configured as 16x where applicable, PCIe2 is set as RAID mode, and PCIe4 is left as 4x in order to keep M.2 slot enabled.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Before anyone suggest power supply, I want to add that both 8 pin ports are populated, 4 pin power on bottom is plugged in as well and PSU is a 1600W AX1600i from Corsair. I tried a different PSU as well just to cover all bases. The whole issue is really weird, wondering if the way ASUS wires or programs the ports in BIOS is affecting this and if a future BIOS update would fix this.
1 REPLY 1

bogdi1988
Level 8
Update:

Been doing a LOT of troubleshooting. Looks like my second Nvidia 2080TI was getting ready to **** itself so it was throwing intermittent error 43. Booted system with just that card and low and behold, artifacts... time to RMA the board...