cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9900K not boosting to 5GHz with Maximus XI Hero optimized defaults

Luck100
Level 7
Title says it all. Can anybody tell me if they see the same thing?

I have 9900K + Maximus XI Hero, bios version 1302. BIOS is reset to optimized defaults. The CPU never seems to boost to 5GHz, even at idle or with just 1 core loaded in p95. I thought the default was to boost to 5GHz when 3 or fewer cores are under load?

I've done plenty of tinkering with BIOS settings and tested overclocks, but my chip is pretty bad so I'm going to go back to default settings.
6 REPLIES 6

LucikMucik
Level 7
When I installed it for the fist time, it was boosting to 5GHz all the time, after ~ 1 week it stopped and I can't get it work. XI boards are disappointment for me. I have Formula and OLED display doesn't work how it should, aura is buggy...

What is your temps? Because i have experience that Z390 push a lot Voltage on default settings and high temps = no max boost . try Hwinfo and chek CPU a VRM temps

6kbyte
Level 7
How did you guys solve that?

pinkfloyd1173
Level 11
Hey man I am a noob to OC, but I followed this YT vid and my 9900K is at 5GHZ. From what I understand the default boost oc settings of asus is pretty bad?

https://youtu.be/bM5XO96b4G0

ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI II Bios 1002: Intel i7 14900k: CORSAIR DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB 64GB 6600MHz DDR5: : ASUS ROG STRIX PG38UQ: ROG Strix 4090 OC :2 M.2 990 PRO 2 TB: CORSAIR - AIO CORSAIR LINK H170I LCD : Corsair HX1500I: Corsair 7000D airflow Case: Windows 11 Pro

Bisquit
Level 7
Luck100 wrote:

I have 9900K + Maximus XI Hero, bios version 1302. BIOS is reset to optimized defaults. The CPU never seems to boost to 5GHz, even at idle or with just 1 core loaded in p95. I thought the default was to boost to 5GHz when 3 or fewer cores are under load?

I've done plenty of tinkering with BIOS settings and tested overclocks, but my chip is pretty bad so I'm going to go back to default settings.

There are 3 settings in bios you need to change to have it stop throttling.
Set CPU Cache current limit max to the max=255.75
And in Internal CPU power mangement change the long duration package powerlimit and the short duration package powerlimit also to the max=4095
This works well on optimized default with most on auto setting. Also use the xmp profile to use your ram as it should.
The video from Der8auer explains it also but is more for overclocking your cpu.
Btw, the 9900k only boosts to 5Ghz on mild loads, usually when at your desktop. Games and p95 will drop all cores to 4.7Ghz unless if you overclock it.
I use HWinfo64 with osd options to see voltages etc when gaming.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Luck100 wrote:

why a old bios? that version is not stable i remeber that. happens to me also on those days
Learn, Play Enjoy!