cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Screen/Display Question

JerJer123
Level 7
I am thinking about purchasing the ASUS G74SX-XT1, but I have a question about the screen. The screen with this version is the full HD 1920x1080 LED version. My question is, for anyone with this laptop with the same screen, how is the viewing on this laptop? I ask because I recently purchased a Toshiba Qosmio x770 1600x900 resolution, and had to return it because I couldn't stand it's screen.

The colors on the screen were washed out and black colors looked more gray, etc. I also had a horrible time with the angles as well, even when sitting right in front of the screen, facing it head on (90 degrees) I still found myself having to til the screen a decent way back to get somewhat of a normal view. I decided to return it for a refund because I could not deal with the screen anymore.

I just want to know how the screen is with this laptop, and this model in particular (it is on sale and I'd like to get it asap). Any comments or feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

dstrakele
Level 14
I enjoy the glossy 1920x1080 Chi Mei Electronics display on my G74SX-A1. Take a look at this thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9242-New-G74-screen-dilemma - particularly Brodyboy's post - who speaks from experience with both the 1920x1080 Full HD and 1600x900 HD+ screens from ASUS.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Found an answer. Will indeed get this laptop and I cant wait to see how it looks.

fostert
Level 12
I really like the Chi Mei 1920x1080 LED on my G74 too...very rich colours, good resolution, no dead pixels, and quite bright....my only complaint is the kind-of washed out contrast around the periphery of the screen: i.e. black looks like a pale shade of grey (especially visible when my office lights are turned off) at its extreme edges where the screen disappears behind the mounting flange. Not a problem, but obviously not top of the line quality either.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

dstrakele
Level 14
Do check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5536-Asus-G74-screen-flicker-(dark-backgrounds-and-low-brig...

Some folks (I'm not one of them) report flickering horizontal lines on dark backgrounds at low brightness levels, particularly on this forum. Apparently there is a fix according to Chastity@ASUS's post in this thread, but it requires an RMA.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Invincible
Level 7
I have HD+ and before buying i compare it with FHD
Well actually FHD overall quality is little bit better,mostly in viewing corners
But it has the same gray-black,glowing in corners and not wondering because it's still cheapy TN+Film Screens
I stand for HD+ because upscaling in game are much worse thing then little wider corners view

Invincible wrote:
Well actually FHD overall quality is little bit better,mostly in viewing corners
But it has the same gray-black,glowing in corners

I have to disagree with that assessment. I think the overall quality of the FHD panel is A LOT better. It doesn't suffer from the awful viewing angles, or that annoying "glow" outside a small direct viewing area. To me, that's the biggest drawback of those panels.