cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to format G74 bbk7? [explanation inside]

iuriggomes
Level 7
Hey fellas, how are ya all?

i recently purchased the g74 bbk7 (september 2011) the bestbuy's version. The computer came with windows 7 home edition installed, the office 2010 pack and stuff like that, but it did not come with any dvd's or such of those items, i dont have a win7 dvd, a office dvd or anything... recently i've been thinking about formating my computer, since it came with all the "asus junk" that i have no clue what they're for, my computer on standard stays with about 115 processes open and the cpu usage is about 20~30% on stock, that can't be right, so i'm very fond to format it and start all over, but without the dvds of the programs and stuff like that, how can i do this and keep my original software?

right? can someone advise on this so i know what to do? tks
7 REPLIES 7

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Well, you could always use Program Manager to uninstall unnecessary software to begin with.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Well, you could always use Program Manager to uninstall unnecessary software to begin with.

Already did that, didn't change much as well

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Have you figured out what the processes are that you are using? maybe you can permanently disable the ones you don't need

houndazs
Level 9
type msconfig into the search box when you click the start button.

then click the services tab

click on "hide all windows services" check box

uncheck everything but your antivirus, printer, and sound

then click on the start-up tab

uncheck everything as stated before.

If you run into problems, the start rechecking items after a reboot that you want.

This will help with boot times and unwanted programs running in the background to ionclude the ASUS Bloatware you don't want/use.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

PILGRIM
Level 11
iuriggomes wrote:

i recently purchased the g74 bbk7 (september 2011) the bestbuy's version. The computer came with windows 7 home edition installed, the office 2010 pack and stuff like that, but it did not come with any dvd's or such of those items, i dont have a win7 dvd, a office dvd or anything... recently i've been thinking about formating my computer, since it came with all the "asus junk" that i have no clue what they're for, my computer on standard stays with about 115 processes open and the cpu usage is about 20~30% on stock, that can't be right, so i'm very fond to format it and start all over, but without the dvds of the programs and stuff like that, how can i do this and keep my original software?

Hi, iuriggomes .

It would be much easier for you if you use the "search forums" first, for your queries..
(Your queries have been answered in many related threads on this forum already.:))

But to offer you the 1st step (since you want a Windows re-install).
If your laptop came with Windows 7 Home Premium, download the DVD ISO copy at JRd1st's Drivers thread here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s
(Then you can use the Windows product key under your laptop.)

You can also download the necessary drivers from the same driver's thread.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

houndazs
Level 9
iuriggomes wrote:

This program will get your Office Keys for you

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

also download and use this program to get your office keys. sometimes programs will pull different keys and only one will work.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

dstrakele
Level 14
Be aware the product key on the bottom of the laptop is an OEM key that can only be used with the version of Windows that was originally installed on that laptop.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT