cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIMESH Nodes and uplinks. One is using wifi uplink, other ethernet uplink)

JCDinPGH
Level 7
I have ethernet run throughout my entire house and it is all on the same subnet. I have a RT-AC5300 on my main floor and 2 RT-AC68U, one on the floor above and one on the floor below. They are functioning as an AIMESH system. All 3 are connected into the my ethernet but one of the two RT-AC68u only shows as being connected via wifi and not a via a hard connection. According to the app (love the new design with the new graphics). The RT-AC5300 is functioning like an access point. I have physically connected the RT-AC68u that is only in the AIMESH system via wifi to the RT-AC%#00 is hopes it would switch to using the physical connection for trafic it received via wifi but when I move it after to it's final home, it switches back to only using wifi for AIMESH. It does say the signal strength is excellent and I do see other devices connected to it so I know it is working. I am just trying to determine why traffic isn't coming in via wifi is being routed across the physical connection. The other RT-AC68U is working correctly and shows as being connected in the AIMESH via the ethernet port. I know the misbehaving RT-AC68U is in a working switch as there are other non-wifi devices in the same switch that are working correctly.
Is there a way to make the RT-AC68U that shows as not being connected in the system via the ethernet port, to start routing it's wifi traffic across the wire?
RT-AC5300 - 3.0.0.4.384_45717 (living room 1st floor, connected via ethernet)
RT-AC68u - 3.0.0.4.384_81049 (functioning correctly) uplink type:ethernet (second floor)
RT-AC68u - 3.0.0.4.384_81049 (not functioning correctly) uplink type:wireless (5g), (basement)
Again all devices are physically connected into whole house ethernet but one is using a wireless uplink and not physical ethernet connection
4 REPLIES 4

JCDinPGH
Level 7
Sorry to bump this but no reply in almost 3 months.

JCDinPGH wrote:
I have ethernet run throughout my entire house and it is all on the same subnet. I have a RT-AC5300 on my main floor and 2 RT-AC68U, one on the floor above and one on the floor below. They are functioning as an AIMESH system. All 3 are connected into the my ethernet but one of the two RT-AC68u only shows as being connected via wifi and not a via a hard connection. According to the app (love the new design with the new graphics). The RT-AC5300 is functioning like an access point. I have physically connected the RT-AC68u that is only in the AIMESH system via wifi to the RT-AC%#00 is hopes it would switch to using the physical connection for trafic it received via wifi but when I move it after to it's final home, it switches back to only using wifi for AIMESH. It does say the signal strength is excellent and I do see other devices connected to it so I know it is working. I am just trying to determine why traffic isn't coming in via wifi is being routed across the physical connection. The other RT-AC68U is working correctly and shows as being connected in the AIMESH via the ethernet port. I know the misbehaving RT-AC68U is in a working switch as there are other non-wifi devices in the same switch that are working correctly.
Is there a way to make the RT-AC68U that shows as not being connected in the system via the ethernet port, to start routing it's wifi traffic across the wire?
RT-AC5300 - 3.0.0.4.384_45717 (living room 1st floor, connected via ethernet)
RT-AC68u - 3.0.0.4.384_81049 (functioning correctly) uplink type:ethernet (second floor)
RT-AC68u - 3.0.0.4.384_81049 (not functioning correctly) uplink type:wireless (5g), (basement)
Again all devices are physically connected into whole house ethernet but one is using a wireless uplink and not physical ethernet connection

Natey2
Level 7
In your AiMesh node, is your "Connection Priority" setting "Auto" or "Ethernet"?

Sent using Tapatalk

It looks like both RT-AC68U have priority mode set to AUTO but one is connecting via wireless and the other via wired. Both are in the same flat network. Tried rebooting by bringing them up in different orders. What else can I try?

Natey2 wrote:
In your AiMesh node, is your "Connection Priority" setting "Auto" or "Ethernet"?

Sent using Tapatalk

Changing priority to Ethernet fixed it!
Thanks.

JCDinPGH wrote:
It looks like both RT-AC68U have priority mode set to AUTO but one is connecting via wireless and the other via wired. Both are in the same flat network. Tried rebooting by bringing them up in different orders. What else can I try?