Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Question ROG Strix E Gaming shows incorrect CPU, Asus says wrong chip but..

    Greets,

    So been an ASUS guy for a very, very long time. This is the first problem I've ever had and I'm stumped as well a bit frustrated.

    8 Year old Rampage IV Black Edition with i7 4930K gave up the ghost so I went and spec'ed a new build as I've not been without a computer for work and gaming going on 25 years now. Barring the boring search details but I end up with an ASUS Strix E Gaming board, 32gb of RAM, and the i9 9900k that I was shooting for.

    Parts come in and the build goes well. Fire up the first time and ROG logo shows so things are good, enter the BIOS and it's rev 1005 which I know is an older revision so I find the latest, 1302, and proceed to download. Then I'm struck as to what I see.

    The BIOS reports this 9900k as a Core i5 9600.. Ehh? Wait, likely a BIOS update will help which of course it didn't. Still showing this 9900K incorrectly. Also, the new 2TB Samsung Evo M.2 is not showing or detecting. Odd.. Again, it's very odd.

    I jump on with ASUS support (chat) to proceeds to have me remove the cooler and get the writing on the CPU itself. I explain I'm IT and I checked prior to installing and it's indeed a 9900K. I have the packaging and had to cut into the factory seals to open it. Alas, they tell me the board is not wrong or bad but it's not a 9900K cpu. I disagree and proceed to remove cooler and TIM only to see, what I had already known, it's showing i9 9900K. They don't believe me and the only thing they could tell me is 'The board will detect the chip properly, you don't have a 9900k' so I'm floored. I explain I have the packaging and had to cut the seals; again I get the same response. Now I'm upset.

    Does this happen? Could this have been the wrong die on the wrong format with the incorrect model on the IHS? I've been doing this since the x286 and never have I had a chip that was wrong or counterfeit. I contact Amazon and going to have a call with Intel and Asus to discuss this I guess but felt I could come here and ask. Does this happen? Am I wrong in any way? How to proceed?

    Some images:
    CPU: https://i.imgur.com/7YHX2fX.jpg
    Packaging: https://i.imgur.com/hWyvLlc.jpg
    Barcodes: https://i.imgur.com/aYQQl6u.jpg
    BIOS: https://i.imgur.com/mIaHOx1.jpg

    So, again, I'm at a loss and now must go through the process of figuring what/who is wrong here and then deal with Amazon support to get whatever replaced after already going 2 weeks without a system. Sure, I get it, I'm being a grumpy curmudgeon on this but man I've never had issues like this before. What gets me is the M.2 is not detecting either which first led me to something with the board. Well, you know the response I got.

    Thanks for any info, help, gripes, or laughs my way.

    ~Ictinike

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    107

    Quote Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
    Greets,

    So been an ASUS guy for a very, very long time. This is the first problem I've ever had and I'm stumped as well a bit frustrated.

    8 Year old Rampage IV Black Edition with i7 4930K gave up the ghost so I went and spec'ed a new build as I've not been without a computer for work and gaming going on 25 years now. Barring the boring search details but I end up with an ASUS Strix E Gaming board, 32gb of RAM, and the i9 9900k that I was shooting for.

    Parts come in and the build goes well. Fire up the first time and ROG logo shows so things are good, enter the BIOS and it's rev 1005 which I know is an older revision so I find the latest, 1302, and proceed to download. Then I'm struck as to what I see.

    The BIOS reports this 9900k as a Core i5 9600.. Ehh? Wait, likely a BIOS update will help which of course it didn't. Still showing this 9900K incorrectly. Also, the new 2TB Samsung Evo M.2 is not showing or detecting. Odd.. Again, it's very odd.

    I jump on with ASUS support (chat) to proceeds to have me remove the cooler and get the writing on the CPU itself. I explain I'm IT and I checked prior to installing and it's indeed a 9900K. I have the packaging and had to cut into the factory seals to open it. Alas, they tell me the board is not wrong or bad but it's not a 9900K cpu. I disagree and proceed to remove cooler and TIM only to see, what I had already known, it's showing i9 9900K. They don't believe me and the only thing they could tell me is 'The board will detect the chip properly, you don't have a 9900k' so I'm floored. I explain I have the packaging and had to cut the seals; again I get the same response. Now I'm upset.

    Does this happen? Could this have been the wrong die on the wrong format with the incorrect model on the IHS? I've been doing this since the x286 and never have I had a chip that was wrong or counterfeit. I contact Amazon and going to have a call with Intel and Asus to discuss this I guess but felt I could come here and ask. Does this happen? Am I wrong in any way? How to proceed?

    Some images:
    CPU: https://i.imgur.com/7YHX2fX.jpg
    Packaging: https://i.imgur.com/hWyvLlc.jpg
    Barcodes: https://i.imgur.com/aYQQl6u.jpg
    BIOS: https://i.imgur.com/mIaHOx1.jpg

    So, again, I'm at a loss and now must go through the process of figuring what/who is wrong here and then deal with Amazon support to get whatever replaced after already going 2 weeks without a system. Sure, I get it, I'm being a grumpy curmudgeon on this but man I've never had issues like this before. What gets me is the M.2 is not detecting either which first led me to something with the board. Well, you know the response I got.

    Thanks for any info, help, gripes, or laughs my way.

    ~Ictinike

    The only way to find out who's wrong is to put your CPU onto another motherboard, i think....

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array Dan Hot PC Specs
    Dan Hot PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix X570-E
    ProcessorAMD 3900x
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16-16GTZNC
    Graphics Card #1RTX2080 non ASUS
    Sound CardOnBoard
    MonitorASUS PG278QR
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseBitFenix Shinobi XL
    Power SupplyENERMAX MODU87+ 700W
    Keyboard LOGITECH G510
    Mouse ZOWIE FK2
    Headset RAZER Razer Tiamat 7.1
    Mouse Pad steelseries QcK+
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Dan Hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Ur scammed
    One guy has changed the heatspreader from 9600k to his 9900k and sell the 9600k as 9900k ez money.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array pndiode PC Specs
    pndiode PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Extreme, BIOS 1301
    ProcessorI7-7700K
    Memory (part number)G-Skill F4-3600C17Q-16GVK
    Graphics Card #1ROG GTX 980 MATRIX-GTX980-P-4GD5 Bykski Water N-AS98ROG-X Full Cover
    Graphics Card #2ROG GTX 980 MATRIX-GTX980-P-4GD5 Bykski Water N-AS98ROG-X Full Cover
    Graphics Card #3GPU Tweak II 2.0.3.1 works, no GPU volt monitor since Version 2.8.3.0, shows in LN2 mode only
    MonitorSAMSUNG S22D300HY (2 ea)
    Storage #1WD Black SN750 1TB
    Storage #2WD Blue 4TB (4 ea)
    CPU CoolerEK Kit L360
    CaseINWIN 707, Corsair ML140 (4 each), Corsair ML120 (4 each)
    Power SupplyThermalTake Toughpower 1200W
    Keyboard Cerberus
    Mouse Logitech MX Master S2
    Headset ROG Strix Fusion 300
    Mouse Pad Generic
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 3 Series II
    OS Win 10 Pro 1903
    Network RouterGeneric
    Accessory #1 ASUS Fan Extension Card
    Accessory #2 ASUS Blu-Ray Drive (BW-16D1HT)
    Accessory #3 ROG 10GB Express

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    143

    Yep! INTEL uses a black substance to attach the IHS to the PCB. And the gold contacts on lower right below IHS on PCB are worn off. And the IHS is off center.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Thanks. After posting and looking around the web I did read of this swap occurring.. I guess its more plausible someone swapped IHS then counterfeit so I'll go back to Amazon and get a return/refund and start looking for another. Ugh!

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array Dan Hot PC Specs
    Dan Hot PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix X570-E
    ProcessorAMD 3900x
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16-16GTZNC
    Graphics Card #1RTX2080 non ASUS
    Sound CardOnBoard
    MonitorASUS PG278QR
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseBitFenix Shinobi XL
    Power SupplyENERMAX MODU87+ 700W
    Keyboard LOGITECH G510
    Mouse ZOWIE FK2
    Headset RAZER Razer Tiamat 7.1
    Mouse Pad steelseries QcK+
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Dan Hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    9600k
    3700MHz
    6 Cores
    6 Threats
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/de...-4-60-ghz.html

    9900k
    3600MHz
    8 Cores
    16 Threats
    https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/.../i9-9900k.html

    Here u can see that they have the same CPUID

    Coffee Lake S (8+2)

    Intel® Core™-Prozessorfamilie der 9. Generation

    Intel® Core™-Prozessor i9-9900K, i9-9900KF

    Intel® Core™-Prozessor i7-9700K, i7-9700KF

    Intel® Core™-Prozessor i5-9600K, i5-9600KF, i5-9400, i5-9400F

    906EC

    22

    0xAE

    https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/...rocode-updates

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    36
    Posts
    46

    Quote Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
    After posting and looking around the web I did read of this swap occurring.. I guess its more plausible someone swapped IHS then counterfeit so I'll go back to Amazon and get a return/refund and start looking for another. Ugh!
    The most obvious sign of swapping/counterfeiting here is the serial number mismatch. Intel prints the last digits of the S/N on the PCB. From your photos, PCB says 01236 while the packaging says 04005. Given all the reports of counterfeits from Amazon, it amazes me that they still haven't trained their return personnel to check the serial number.

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by dingo99 View Post
    The most obvious sign of swapping/counterfeiting here is the serial number mismatch. Intel prints the last digits of the S/N on the PCB. From your photos, PCB says 01236 while the packaging says 04005. Given all the reports of counterfeits from Amazon, it amazes me that they still haven't trained their return personnel to check the serial number.
    Ah! Great catch and thank you! I hadn't heard of other doing this with CPU's. Other products, such as RAM and disks most recently, but not a cpu. I'm a learner and haven't had any issue like this in the years I've been building systems so I am in thanks to all who replied.

    Speaking with Amazon, I informed them but unsure if they fully understood but they were quick to issue a refund so I'll be shipping out both the cpu as well M.2 that didn't work either. They were quick to also ask me to withhold any review or what it on the site. Again, I get it and it's not like they did this on purpose but as it seems it's getting worse on a variety of tech products; one would think they should try to investigate each return or at least have a list of who had this cpu prior. They'll treat it as an loss end of year and well all pay for these bad actors. Sigh.

    Thank you all again and new cpu incoming in hopes it's legit

    Cheers,
    ~Ictinike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •